Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Marvel Mystery Oil - Or Techron?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2013, 10:14 AM
Robert1Stock
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am far from an old timer but MMO has helped my farming family for generations. I say I am just going to use both. Run a tank of Techron, based on the thread I think its going to get this sulfur flushed further into the system and most all of it will more than likely go out but after that tank I will run MMO in both fuel/oil to finish the job.

Thanks all for your posts
Old 03-06-2013, 11:10 AM
ripcord
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the usual fuel sending unit problems. When full, the gauge would read only approx 7/8's full and one time went from 3/4 to zero and stayed there. I ran two bottles of Techron through the tanks and both problems have been rectified. I don't believe it will clean injectors but it (Techron) certainly fixed my gas gauge problems!
Old 03-06-2013, 10:08 PM
_r2h
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I highly suggest you do some reading on the bobistheoilguy.com forums. Plenty of threads, hours of reading, on the break down of ingredients for both products, what they do, pros/cons.

That being said, I've used both.
Old 03-07-2013, 07:56 AM
o2bnkc
Melting Slicks

Received 290 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by DeeGee
I've never been able to verify it but, apparently, the Techron formulation is good for cleaning sulfur deposits and sulfur build up is why we have trouble with our particular fuel senders.

Never heard of MMO I'm afraid.
It's been around forever. Good stuff to use when you're trying to un-sieze an old engine. Lots of guys use it when putting a car in storage.
Old 03-07-2013, 08:41 AM
fishbust
Racer

Originally Posted by sobregonso
+1

I've used it for years, in every one of my vehicles, motorcycles, and small engines- crankcase, fuel tank, and throttle body. It may be all in my mind, but I do believe it is a great 'pick me up', plus helps w/ that crap ethanol 'they ' put in the gas now
No it is definitely not in your mind.
Seafoam works very well to clean systems and break up carbon deposits.

In the older outboards, before oil injection metering, carbon builds up big time in the combustion chamber, which leads to sticking rings and then....ka-boom. We used to have to do periodic shock treatments with Seafoam and a portable fuel can to break up all that carbon and keep the rings free.

These days Seafoam is used more as a preventive additive as shock treatments are no long needed with precise metering. A good occasional dose and light regular use will keep combustion chambers in better condition for a better running engine over the long haul.

Also from my boating world, I have kept fuel stabilized and good to go for well over a year with stabil.

So I can say at least 2 things do work, Seafoam and Stabil.
Old 03-07-2013, 09:01 AM
ripcord
Heel & Toe

Thumbs up for Stabil....I use it in my seldom-used generator and have no problems starting it after 6 months or more of storage...sometimes longer. Highly recommend for any long-term storage.
Old 03-07-2013, 09:12 AM
Sonny71
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 107 Likes on 57 Posts
Oldtimer

Marvel in the crankcase, about once a year. Techron in the gas tank, every third tank full.
Results = ??, mileage too low - ask me in a 100,000 miles
Old 03-07-2013, 09:22 AM
alxltd1
Melting Slicks

Received 113 Likes on 99 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Well I am one of the old timers and grew up with MMO. However, I am a quick study (just dont ask my wife) and I now use only Techron in the gas tank. However, I have found that a 50/50 mix of MMO and Shooters Choice makes an excellent bore cleaner for my rifles. Removes copper fouling and lubricates as well.
Old 03-07-2013, 11:01 AM
Robert1Stock
Instructor

alxltd1,

Try 50/40/10 mix of MMO/Brake Parts Cleaner/and dawn dish soap (no scent just original).

Once done with that clean it up and wipe with Remington gun oil - this is the ultimate cleaner for all my older guns

.22 with close to 15,000 rounds through it and no cleaning and cheap federal ammo it got stuck shut and little of this on there she was good as new.

Last edited by Robert1Stock; 03-07-2013 at 11:02 AM. Reason: 1 more thing
Old 03-07-2013, 11:10 AM
calvins
Safety Car

Received 237 Likes on 108 Posts
Oldtimer

Robert:

I this is going way off track but... after using that snake oil down the barrel, do you run some Hoppies solvent through, then dry patches, then light lube coat? Seems like you'd wanna make sure to get the stuff totally gone?
Old 03-07-2013, 11:50 AM
1sickz51vette
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went down to advance and got buy one get one Chevron Techron advance fuel system cleaner good for 20 gals. I've used the stuff before and it has helped big time with the gas gauge being "stuck" especially on the passenger tank because my car sits under 1/2 tank alot of the time. I know one bottle would treat a full tank, but how about if I add two in there to double the dosage since its been probably 50k miles since I last used it in the tank?
Old 03-07-2013, 11:53 AM
ErMaK
Racer

I've used Lucas on several different cars in the past and have always had decent results.
Old 03-07-2013, 01:46 PM
Robert1Stock
Instructor

Hey Calvins,

Remington gun oil has special detergents in it as well that work away the rest of the chemicals. But your right after hosing it down good with the oil I run patches down it then pickup the rest of it bringing it to a shine with rabbit foot. Do note that this is for serious build up. After soaking the parts I hooked up my wire tube brush to a drill and ran it through then picked the action clean. I keep all my other guns far cleaner but its a old .22.... Don't see the point in all the effort as long as it still goes *pew (was going to say bang but..... 22....).

Techron is going in my next tank of gas for the Vette and a light MMO mixture on the ones after it.

Thanks.
Old 03-07-2013, 04:42 PM
calvins
Safety Car

Received 237 Likes on 108 Posts
Oldtimer

ok, thanks Robert. Mine don't get that bad so I'll pass.

As for the Techron - that's a definite "use". I hope it's still on sale when I'm able to get out.

MMO - I'll pass and just do regular oil and filter changes.

Quick Reply: Marvel Mystery Oil - Or Techron?