Sponsored by:

iPod/AUX input into factory radio write up for $3

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2013, 02:30 PM
slovets
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Tyler_RN_EMT
I can't take credit for this, but i haven't seen much on this forum about this so here's a little write up on how I did mine.

Any questions don't hesitate to ask!

Tyler

Many thanks, Tyler. Since I have a 12-CD changer in the trunk of my Y2K C5 convertible, I was thinking that the radio already had an external input that could be used with my iPhone. All I would need to do is run a 4-pr cable from the center console back to the CD changer and splice it into the existing cable that connects to the radio. In the center console, I'll add a AUX jack and switch allowing me to select either the changer output or another device output like my iPhone.

Last edited by Vette_DD; 05-07-2013 at 10:05 PM.
Old 05-07-2013, 02:32 PM
RLYSLO
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by slovets
Many thanks, Tyler. Since I have a 12-CD changer in the trunk of my Y2K C5 convertible, I was thinking that the radio already had an external input that could be used with my iPhone. All I would need to do is run a 4-pr cable from the center console back to the CD changer and splice it into the existing cable that connects to the radio. In the center console, I'll add a AUX jack and switch allowing me to select either the changer output or another device output like my iPhone.
That's great, but did you really need to quote his entire write-up to say that?
Old 05-07-2013, 03:42 PM
GCG
Melting Slicks

Received 725 Likes on 577 Posts

Originally Posted by rielcrazy
your wrong about there not being bleedthrough unless a defective jack... I"ll explain why. What I did after getting bleedthrough was to disconnect everything and leave 1 and 3 COMPLETELY severed - I cut out the wires I had put in and left 1 and 3 just hanging cut in th emiddle not connected to one another or anything else.. Even with 1 and 3 COMPLETELY SEVERED I have CD playing through the speakers BUT it is only one 1 side of the car (pass). I did probe both jacks using a headphone with wires soldered on and found there to be music on both 1 and 3 with the CD but not on any other wires..... I beleive the bose system has some other input somehow but even with probes I can't find it.

Those who have done this successfully - do any of you have the bose??? I havn't tried using 4 and 5 for the radio yet but am concerned I will arrive at the same problem.
That's weird... I wouldn't expect any sound at all from the CD with wires 1 and 3 completely severed. In this other write-up it was done using wires 1 and 3 with no problems. Just to be on the safe side: are you sure you got the right wires from the right connector

This mod, as documented here by Tyler_RN_EMT, is for the factory Bose system and he is reporting no bleed-through with a good ground and using wires 4 and 5.

IMHO wires 4 and 5 (radio) give you the added benefit of not having to have a CD silently playing in order to listen to an external source.

Last edited by GCG; 05-07-2013 at 07:33 PM.
Old 05-07-2013, 08:45 PM
rielcrazy
Advanced

I will try 4 and 5 and see. I'd do up a video to prove it but I've already reconnected everything back to original
Old 05-08-2013, 01:27 AM
Tyler_RN_EMT
Pro

Received 169 Likes on 88 Posts

your wrong about there not being bleedthrough unless a defective jack... I"ll explain why. What I did after getting bleedthrough was to disconnect everything and leave 1 and 3 COMPLETELY severed - I cut out the wires I had put in and left 1 and 3 just hanging cut in th emiddle not connected to one another or anything else.. Even with 1 and 3 COMPLETELY SEVERED I have CD playing through the speakers BUT it is only one 1 side of the car (pass). I did probe both jacks using a headphone with wires soldered on and found there to be music on both 1 and 3 with the CD but not on any other wires..... I beleive the bose system has some other input somehow but even with probes I can't find it.

Those who have done this successfully - do any of you have the bose??? I havn't tried using 4 and 5 for the radio yet but am concerned I will arrive at the same problem.
I do have the factory Bose system. With both wires severed and not touching at all and you're getting sound through one side of your speakers while a CD is playing, there has to be a short somewhere inside your factory headunit. Think of your headunit as 2 seperate units. One is the "brains" and the other is a "CD" disk player/reader. They are connected via the cables you cut to splice into. If there is sound traveling from the "CD" disk player/reader to the "brain" then there HAS to be a short somewhere if your wires are cut and you still get bleed through (ie the sound of whatever CD is playing).

My recomendation would be to solder wires 1 and 3 back together to return to original and then try wires 4 and 5. You should be good to go this route leaving all previous functions intact. Besides, myself and many others feel that using 4th and 5th wires (The radio) instead makes things easier anyway. You don't have to worry about having a CD in the player and playing

Thanks again everybody willing to back me up on the quality of this mod. It's not ALWAYS that cheap means less quality!! Check out my video again and turn up the sound really well. You will notice before I hit play on the IPOD there is NO bleedthrough or static WHATSOEVER.
If you're having difficulty, keep at it. I had my own problems when doing this lol including ruining my IPAD!!! Thank goodness it was still under warranty!!!!

Tyler

Old 05-08-2013, 07:29 AM
ronsrods222362
Pro

MD Events Coordinator

Wow, great write up
Old 05-14-2013, 03:57 PM
rielcrazy
Advanced

Ok, so I tried 4th and 5th - def not right. I hooked up to the 4th and 5th wires and they are NOT the radio sound wires. Again I cut them and tried to play the radio and it still works fine. I found that when you touch the 4th wire back together it thinks the CD player is activating and switches to CD. So.... No idea now. I think I read somewhere that I can splice into my CD changer wires and provide this input? I don't really care for the CD changer so I don't care if I block it out. Anyone know?

Last edited by rielcrazy; 05-14-2013 at 04:05 PM.
Old 05-14-2013, 04:14 PM
rielcrazy
Advanced

[IMG][/IMG]

This is what I did fyi... you can see the repair to the 1st and 3rd that I did previously.....

Last edited by rielcrazy; 05-14-2013 at 04:18 PM.
Old 05-14-2013, 08:47 PM
Tyler_RN_EMT
Pro

[IMG][/IMG]

This is what I did fyi... you can see the repair to the 1st and 3rd that I did previously.....
That part looks to be correct. I would like to see some pics of the other end and the Jack istelf. Do you think you could post them up also?

Tyler
Old 05-15-2013, 09:21 AM
rielcrazy
Advanced

Originally Posted by Tyler_RN_EMT
That part looks to be correct. I would like to see some pics of the other end and the Jack istelf. Do you think you could post them up also?

Tyler
No female jack connected and the radio plays like normal... The wires terminate / are not connected. I tried first with the female jack and found when I plugged in the male end the CD player came on- so I cut all the wires to the jack and left em hanging and radio still plays like normal-

Last edited by rielcrazy; 05-15-2013 at 09:23 AM.
Old 06-08-2013, 11:04 PM
bluewire
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts

I went ahead and did this today, and here is what I found out.

I have a 2004 and for my first attempt I figured I would use wires 4 and 5 to avoid having to play a cd. This did not work. It was giving the cd player err and no output.

So I then repaired the wires and went with wires 1 and 3. This works just fine . You do still need to have a cd playing, but it's no big deal for a $3.21 aux input.

I can only guess there must be some internal changes on different model year headunits. If your going to do this just go right to wires 1 and 3 to avoid any headaches.
Old 06-09-2013, 12:08 PM
Tyler_RN_EMT
Pro

Originally Posted by bluewire
I went ahead and did this today, and here is what I found out.

I have a 2004 and for my first attempt I figured I would use wires 4 and 5 to avoid having to play a cd. This did not work. It was giving the cd player err and no output.

So I then repaired the wires and went with wires 1 and 3. This works just fine . You do still need to have a cd playing, but it's no big deal for a $3.21 aux input.

I can only guess there must be some internal changes on different model year headunits. If your going to do this just go right to wires 1 and 3 to avoid any headaches.
Thanks for the reply and clearing that up!

Tyler
Old 06-09-2013, 12:54 PM
leeski
6th Gear

I tried this mod today and had the same results as bluewire. The #4 and #5 wires gave me an ERR message on the display when I inserted the jack.

I've got an 2003 Anniversary Coupe with 12 disc changer. Radio and CD changer work, but the MP3 jack doesn't. I'd rather not have to play a silent CD.

Does anyone know what the two wires are for this unit? I'd like to have it function like Tyler RN EMT where it overrides the radio. The wiring must have changed some inside the unit. Heck, I've got the hard part done and just need to know which wires. I've searched for a wiring diagram for a 09390211 radio to no avail. I'm attaching some photos to show how it opens up and the wires I spliced. On this radio, there seems to be less slack in the wiring than the other pics and there's no lower circuit board to remove. Once you take the bottom cover off, you're right in there.

Does anyone have a diagram of the circuit board or know which wires to splice to have the same effect on this radio? Thanks!

I've tried posting my pics, but I don't have the auth to post attachments....any help I can get on this and I'll post them. Thanks again.
Old 06-09-2013, 01:09 PM
leeski
6th Gear

Figured out the images in the newbie forum...here they are

Old 06-09-2013, 01:14 PM
leeski
6th Gear

Old 06-09-2013, 03:33 PM
JETninja
Melting Slicks

Received 77 Likes on 68 Posts
WA Events Coordinator

Dang, wish I'd seen this last year. Did the $65 module under the passenger footwell and when it works its great, but it somehow loses connection and its a hassle to get reset up. May have to give this a shot on my '04Z....though next year I'm planning on doing a major Double Din Audio makeover.
Old 06-09-2013, 04:06 PM
bluewire
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by leeski
I tried this mod today and had the same results as bluewire. The #4 and #5 wires gave me an ERR message on the display when I inserted the jack.

I've got an 2003 Anniversary Coupe with 12 disc changer. Radio and CD changer work, but the MP3 jack doesn't. I'd rather not have to play a silent CD.

Does anyone know what the two wires are for this unit? I'd like to have it function like Tyler RN EMT where it overrides the radio. The wiring must have changed some inside the unit. Heck, I've got the hard part done and just need to know which wires. I've searched for a wiring diagram for a 09390211 radio to no avail. I'm attaching some photos to show how it opens up and the wires I spliced. On this radio, there seems to be less slack in the wiring than the other pics and there's no lower circuit board to remove. Once you take the bottom cover off, you're right in there.

Does anyone have a diagram of the circuit board or know which wires to splice to have the same effect on this radio? Thanks!

I've tried posting my pics, but I don't have the auth to post attachments....any help I can get on this and I'll post them. Thanks again.
I searched for over two hours and found nothing. There is a 28 page thread on ls1tech about this mod but no clear or good info.

I think the wires are there to do it just didn't feel like cutting and repairing all night.

If anyone finds a wiring schematic please post it up, it would be appreciated.

Get notified of new replies

To iPod/AUX input into factory radio write up for $3

Old 06-12-2013, 04:55 PM
leeski
6th Gear

I don't think the FM is coming in through any of the wires on that harness attached to the circuit board. I've cut them all (except the black one) just to see if I could find it.

I finally went with #1 and #3. Seems to work fine for me with both a regular disc and a silent disc. Save yourself the trouble and go with #1 and #3.

Thankfully, I was able to get them all reconnected and have everything still working!

Nice upgrade to have an mp3 jack, though, so it was worth the pain.
Old 06-13-2013, 03:46 AM
SEC5
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a quick question, as I am in the middle of this mod, but have already cut 4&5.
I have a 2000 Vert.
So my question, the guys having problems with 4&5, do you have CD changers installed, or were installed. My car didnt come with that option.
Just curious if this has something to do with the cd changer??
Any help/info would be great.
Will write report once mod is finished!
SEC5
Old 06-13-2013, 05:01 AM
wolf10851
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

ok this sounds GREAT except one issue. I have the cassette deck in mine and the 12 disc changer in the back which wires would I cut? Or would this even work on a cassette deck?

Quick Reply: iPod/AUX input into factory radio write up for $3