Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealerships ?????????

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2013, 08:32 AM
Phanni
Le Mans Master

Received 1,731 Likes on 847 Posts

I know of a couple of 50th verts that sold at dealers for $27.000 in the last two months. Both had mileage less than 20,000 mi. Sell your car and don't trade it, if you think you can out deal a dealer.
Old 04-28-2013, 08:43 AM
machfive98
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Your car looks beautiful and extremely well cared for... However, most vette owners have a HIGHLY EMOTIONAL ATTACHMENT to their cars. Although the cars value to YOU is 30k, even with the low mileage, the value to someone purchasing it is considerably less. I am presently looking for a 2003 AE, but prefer a convertible. I would only offer you 22k (23k at best). If your vette was a convertible, the offer would increase by $1500 to $2000.

No, I am not a car dealer (I work at a hospital) but the value of ANYONE'S vehicle is only what someone else is willing to pay for it. Last but not least we want to buy our new cars at the lowest price possible but we expect the dealerships to pay the highest premium. They too need to actually make some money in order to pay their salesmen, rent, advertising, etc. not trying to be an a-hole here... Just calling it like it is.

Best of luck with the sale of your baby and the purchase of your new one. By the way... I too thought my 98 was worth waaaaaay more than it was!
Old 04-28-2013, 08:50 AM
pickleseimer
Drifting

Received 321 Likes on 212 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

Pat O'Brien Chevrolet in Westlake OH has a new white 427 1SC vert in stock. This dealer sells on an 'upfront pricing' no haggle policy, showing MSRP and then their price. On this car today, they show the 427 MSRP as $91,420, and the upfront price is $91,420. Must be waiting for that Vette newby to walk in the door. I've been tempted to just go in and tweak 'em just for fun some day when I'm bored. Might ask them what their C7 allocation is while I'm there just to see what song and dance I get.
Old 04-28-2013, 08:59 AM
steve8
Race Director

Received 914 Likes on 450 Posts

What is the sticker on the 13, and what is the final number you are looking for?
Are you looking for 30 + a steep discount?
Old 04-28-2013, 09:29 AM
smottman
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well you certainly are getting a number of viewpoints here. I did two months of research before buying a 2003 Spiral Gray Coupe with 27000. You are hearing that the car is not worth 20000 on the street. Thats pure unadulterated bull. Your car appears to be pristine,
and not overmodded. On the street with that low mileage you should see 23 to 25. I see these posts where low mileage pristine 2003s go for 18. Problem is I don't see any of them. The advice about what a dealer should give you will be 20 or below is true. The season is changing and the dealer will have an advantage there. You have that advantage by selling yourself. I bought my car in January (out of season) and paid 21,000 from a Corvette dealer. The car is pristine with about 6000 in options. Say what you want but most of these 18000 dollar 2003s are cars with 60000 miles not 16,000 miles. They are not referred to a stealerships for no reason. Your car is beautiful. Sell it yourself and you have more money in your pocket and more leverage dealing with the dealer.
Old 04-28-2013, 09:59 AM
Vega$Vette
Race Director

Received 2,108 Likes on 982 Posts

Yours is worth most low 20's Private Party. Dealer will give about 5 less.

The only way to negotiate is to deal as a straight up purchase to get the best price then throw in the trade.

That's the way it is. They can slice and dice and add to the new purchase to make it look like they are giving more for your's on trade but that exercise is nothing more then a shell game.

When trading in the only number that means anything is how much cash plus trade.
Old 04-28-2013, 10:06 AM
JaxEagle
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I haven't read the entire thread but I am sure it has been pointed out that you'd have to get several thousand more than trade value to make up for the difference in tax savings. Usually the dealers can come close enough to make that inconvenience not worth it.

Whether someone here thinks your trade in price is realistic or not, that doesn't matter. Stick to your guns. Have a bottom line drive out purchase price on the 2013. Period. Either they can get there or they can't. If they can get there then it doesn't matter what the piece of paper says. They could be offering you $150 for your trade in and it doesn't matter.

As for the dealer calling you back and saying the WANT to put you in the 2013.... well, of course they WANT to... but that doesn't mean they are going to meet your price... that is simply a way to get you back in their house and work you until you cave in...
Old 04-28-2013, 10:47 AM
hdkeno
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by JaxEagle
I haven't read the entire thread but I am sure it has been pointed out that you'd have to get several thousand more than trade value to make up for the difference in tax savings. Usually the dealers can come close enough to make that inconvenience not worth it.

Whether someone here thinks your trade in price is realistic or not, that doesn't matter. Stick to your guns. Have a bottom line drive out purchase price on the 2013. Period. Either they can get there or they can't. If they can get there then it doesn't matter what the piece of paper says. They could be offering you $150 for your trade in and it doesn't matter.

As for the dealer calling you back and saying the WANT to put you in the 2013.... well, of course they WANT to... but that doesn't mean they are going to meet your price... that is simply a way to get you back in their house and work you until you cave in...
This is very true. Take it from someone who has relatives that work for delaerships.It is all a game
Old 04-28-2013, 10:57 AM
QCVette
Le Mans Master

Received 624 Likes on 486 Posts

Dealerships always try to make money on both the car they are buying and the car they are selling. The only way to deal with them is to know what a good price is on the two cars.

Try looking at
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-d...g-blowout.html
They have had some pretty good pricing and even lower with GM mastercard or being a corvette owner.

Also know what you expect for your car. (Although I think 30k might be high). It is a great looking car. I am surprised you would want to part with it.

Then you can estimate the difference that you can get on a trade.

It usually works out better to buy the car without a trade and to sell your car privately. At least that is the way it worked best in my experience.

Good luck.
Old 04-28-2013, 11:21 AM
lxconv331
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

$18-$20k is tops for your Vette! No dealer in there right mind is going to give you retail price for a trade in period,,,,,

http://www.nadaguides.com/Cars/2003/...versary/Values
Old 04-28-2013, 12:06 PM
f6john
Melting Slicks

Received 223 Likes on 146 Posts

Default Urgent Message!!!! Please Read.

I have decided to make a standing offer to buy all worthless C5's until I have depleted all my cash and credit line. In an effort to be fair I am offering $1000.00 each even if they are not hardtops!!!!
Old 04-28-2013, 12:21 PM
reath1
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Now, to really get your head spinning. The sticker on that new vette is actually reflecting about a 75% mark-up over what that dealer actually has in the car. True Story. After finding out the truth about new car mark-ups, from a very good friend that was a general manager for a large Chevrolet dealership for many years (never would tell me the truth until after he retired), there is no well in he!! I can ever bring myself to purchase a new car again.
Old 04-28-2013, 12:35 PM
bj1k
Le Mans Master

Received 375 Likes on 293 Posts

Everyone wants the easy way out by trading . If you go to a dealer then you should expect to be low balled to an extreme. The only way you will get a fair price is to work for it and sell it yourself. It requires effort and most people aren't willing to do the work , so you can't expect to reap the benefits. Sell it outright and then you have real bargaining power at the dealer. They will need you more than you need them. This time of year your car should go quick if you price it right. 30k. is a stretch though. There are plenty of nice anniversary convertibles out there for that price.
Old 04-28-2013, 01:01 PM
Vega$Vette
Race Director

Received 2,108 Likes on 982 Posts

Originally Posted by f6john
I have decided to make a standing offer to buy all worthless C5's until I have depleted all my cash and credit line. In an effort to be fair I am offering $1000.00 each even if they are not hardtops!!!!
That is a totally lame and useless statement.
Old 04-28-2013, 01:22 PM
f6john
Melting Slicks

Received 223 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by Vega$Vette
That is a totally lame and useless statement.

Most of my posts are, guess you would have to know me a little better to understand my humor. But feel free to ignore anything I might say in the future. Now back to our regular programming.....
Old 04-28-2013, 06:56 PM
GrandSportRob
Safety Car

Received 289 Likes on 160 Posts

Call Mike Furman at Criswell Chevrolet or Tommy Jr at Macmulkin Chevy. I contacted them both before buying my 13 GS. Was looking to see what they would give me on trade. Both were within $500 of each other on trade in value..Still wasn't enough for me based on my budget. I sold my 99 privately for $3500 more than they offered. Just send them pics & they will give you a straight answer. I ended up buying my GS from Mike. It was a great experience since he's a vette guy, not just a salesman.
Old 04-28-2013, 07:28 PM
halp
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Macmulkin has a bunch of 427 verts. You can buy a Night Race Blue with 1SA for $69,000.

He offered me 21,000 for my 02 Z06 with 14,000 miles.

Not a bad deal.

Tommy Jr. is a good guy and will work with you over the internet or phone.

Get notified of new replies

To Dealerships ?????????

Old 04-28-2013, 07:46 PM
hdkeno
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by f6john
Most of my posts are, guess you would have to know me a little better to understand my humor. But feel free to ignore anything I might say in the future. Now back to our regular programming.....
I think that you and I would get along famously....
Old 04-28-2013, 09:11 PM
jdot
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hdkeno
I think that you and I would get along famously....
There is nothing I appreciate more than a person with a REAL, honest sense of humor who is not afraid to show it. I also have what my friends over the years called a "warped" sense of humor. I like to think it's kept me young.
Old 04-28-2013, 09:31 PM
racebum
Race Director

Received 153 Likes on 146 Posts

have someone on the forum get MMR prices on a like 2003 car with similar miles. if you can walk in knowing what the car would get at dealer auction you'll have a bottom line

personally if i was buying new i would use a dealer like les stanford who is big into corvette and can offer the best deal on new as well as give fair trade

i befriended a few local dealer through work contacts and can assure you the c5 market is not dead or worthless. you just have to know your prices as a lot of the action is in the teens. 50-150k mile driver grade cars move quick for the right price. this low mileage mint stuff that's worth more requires a different kind of buyer and there are fewer of them

as for 30k. well, an 8k mile, heated garaged kept z16 sold for 30k not long ago

Quick Reply: Dealerships ?????????