Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Garage Queens vs DD's

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2013, 02:20 PM
wcsinx
Team Owner

Received 71 Likes on 65 Posts

What is with your inability to quote someone correctly?

Originally Posted by Aerovette
Not what I meant. I meant I can drive the car all the way home and it is in perfect condition and the next morning, bam, something ridiculous is wrong with it.
Examples? I can't say I've ever had that happen. The only completely sporadic problem I've ever had was the ignition switch which was a $70 part that I swapped in half an hour.

I guess that's why there is a sticky listing all of the "issues" to watch for when purchasing one. Don't lie to yourselves. It is the "Jaguar of GM".
And you think this is different from any other car out there? I've seen those lists on virtually ever car forum I've ever been on. All cars have endemic problems. The difference to me is the cost to resolve those problems and the knowledge base of the community for said car. And the Corvette is damned near unmatched in both of those categories.

I do drive it. I don't drive it as spritedly as I would like to however, because the repairs to big ticket items are bigger in ticket than my budget allows. ... Holy crap if the Corvette isn't climate controlled and tread like it's made from eggshells, it ***** the bed.
I drive my car fairly hard. (But know that there is a distinction between driving a car hard and abusing it) And in 95k miles other than normal maintenance I've fixed the rocking seat ($5), ignition switch ($70), falling HUD ($0), HVAC baffle ($0), and column lock (LMC5) ($40). That's honestly all that has gone bad in 11 years. Do tell, what exactly have you broken?

You can plan for MAINTENANCE, you should not have to plan for all out failure...at least not often.
Completely 100% wrong

Everything is a wear item. It's just a matter of time. Don't play if you can't pay.

Last edited by wcsinx; 04-30-2013 at 02:22 PM.
Old 04-30-2013, 05:49 PM
Grainraiser
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2000 vette with 42k miles on her. I more enjoyment taking the top off and driving her on the weekends than I do driving her daily on my 80 mile round trip commute. The weekends and vette go together like peanut butter and jelly. I have a co-worker who purchased a new Challenger the same time I purchased my car. He now has a 126k miles on her and is still making payments. He know understands why I drive a 94 Nissan pickup to work. Nothing wrong with a vette being a daily driver. I just get more enjoyment out driving mines on the weekend. To each is own.

Reggie
Old 04-30-2013, 08:23 PM
20vette0107fatboy
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Grainraiser
I have a 2000 vette with 42k miles on her. I more enjoyment taking the top off and driving her on the weekends than I do driving her daily on my 80 mile round trip commute. The weekends and vette go together like peanut butter and jelly. I have a co-worker who purchased a new Challenger the same time I purchased my car. He now has a 126k miles on her and is still making payments. He know understands why I drive a 94 Nissan pickup to work. Nothing wrong with a vette being a daily driver. I just get more enjoyment out driving mines on the weekend. To each is own.

Reggie
I second that.
Old 05-01-2013, 12:02 AM
Suthunman
Safety Car

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by almost had 1
Not driving your car to keep the miles low, is like not having sex with your wife so its great for the next guy. In my eyes
I have no concern for "the next guy" in either case.
Old 05-01-2013, 05:13 AM
baxsom
Le Mans Master

Received 196 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by Suthunman
I have no concern for "the next guy" in either case.
hahahaha,

my plan is to wear both out so there is nothing left for the next guy. seriously though. life is short. enjoy every day like it is your last one. in the end you aren't taking that thing with you so drive it like you stole it every day or sell it to someone that will
Old 05-01-2013, 05:51 AM
JustinStrife
Team Owner

Received 96 Likes on 66 Posts

They're saving it for the next owner.
Old 05-01-2013, 05:55 AM
oldschoolvette
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by baxsom
hahahaha,

my plan is to wear both out so there is nothing left for the next guy. seriously though. life is short. enjoy every day like it is your last one. in the end you aren't taking that thing with you so drive it like you stole it every day or sell it to someone that will
profound
Old 11-16-2013, 09:03 AM
OIF-VETte
Intermediate

Originally Posted by CalF
Well for me if i would use it for a DD then after a while it would feel like my ,,,uh ,,,DD.I like knowing that it is parked in the garage under cover,just waiting for that sunny evening after work or the nice weekend coming up.I can pull the cover off and when i fire it up and pull out of the garage it feels special.That long day at work or the nagging wife seems to fade as the Z06 takes over.
AMEN
Old 11-16-2013, 09:43 AM
FLZapped
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JustinStrife
They're saving it for the next owner.
+1

I am more than happy that the garage queens exist, otherwise I would have never gotten my 2004 Z16 with only 5400 miles on it . . .

Now over 22K.

Makes the daily 20 mile drive to and from work on I-95 tolerable.
Old 11-16-2013, 10:05 AM
Fcar 98
Melting Slicks

Received 892 Likes on 466 Posts

I bought my car jan 5 1998, first new vette and my last new vette. I plan on keeping it as long as I can. It has 42000 miles and better then the day I brought it home. If you guys like driving yours every day that is your right
Old 11-16-2013, 10:50 AM
jcsperson
Team Owner

Received 745 Likes on 429 Posts
NC Events Coordinator

I have psychologist friend who said, "I have a theory that is purely anecdotal---not scientific or tested---that there three innate personality types: competitors, builders and collectors. Most people have all three traits, but are mostly one of the three, some of a second one, and only a trace of the third."

Competitors can be people in competitive sports, of course, but also adventurers, climbers, and other activities where there is a goal to be achieved or an experience to be had.

Builders are makers. There doesn't have to be a house or V8 engine at the end. They can make music or other things that require active, hands-on effort. Writers, artists, tailors, and craftsmen are builders.

Collectors are the organizers and preservers. They maintain, categorize, archive and research things. Librarians, museum curators and docents are collectors.

I rarely drive my Corvette to get somewhere. I just like the joy of driving it. I do HPDE when I can but really wish I had the resources to have a dedicated race car. I wrench on it a bit, but mostly just to facilitate more driving. My car is a driver. At any Corvette gathering, it's invariably the dowdiest car there or in the bottom two or three. Except under the hood, it's just a plain 2001 coupe. I'm pretty clearly: Competitor > Builder > Collector.

The drive vs. have debate is simply competitor vs. collector.

I know a guy who has seven Corvettes from an '01 all the way back to '57. He has a '61 he's restoring. He restores them then admires them. He's clearly Collector > Builder > Competitor, or maybe Builder > Collector > Competitor.

When I go through the Corvettes For Sale sections of CF, I'm amazed at how many recently modified or restored cars there are. I know a few guys who find a project, work like a dog on it, drive it around for a while, show or race it a little, then sell it. I never understood this until I realized they were Builder > Competitor > Collector or maybe Builder > Collector > Competitor if he showed the car. They get more satisfaction out of building the car and get bored quickly when they are no longer doing that.

I used to shake my had at the guys who don't drive their cars, but I get it now. I've been watching Wayne Carini's Chasing Classic Cars for a few years and now I understand why it's so hard for some of those people to sell their car that they no longer drive---some are so old they're incapable of driving it---when it clearly makes the most sense financially.
Old 11-16-2013, 11:02 AM
DevilDog II
Race Director

Received 888 Likes on 553 Posts
Oldtimer

Originally Posted by runner140*
The question was why would someone buy a Vette and not drive it? I drive mine 50 miles a day, 7 days a week.
My question is why would someone even be remotely concerned about how I drive a car that I bought and paid for?

Last edited by DevilDog II; 11-18-2013 at 08:19 AM.
Old 11-16-2013, 11:41 AM
GREENKAR
Drifting

Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by Suthunman
I think more Vettes than people realize are bought new by people that are successful and just go buy one because they can afford it. After a while they get tired of it. It's not worth the extra trouble to get in and out of and isn't as comfortable as what they are use too and they really don't care about performance. They are use to luxury cars, that's what they really like.

Ultimately after a year or 2 these cars find their way into the hands of people that really want a sports car.

I also believe that is why 6 speed Vettes are harder to find used than automatics. New Corvette demand dictates what Chevrolet dealers have on their lot ready to sell. These same buyers probably don't even know how to drive a 6 speed and go with the automatic and it's their preference anyway.

JMHO
Well let's see I am 70 yrs young. Bought my first 2001 Vert in May of this year, with 21,411 on the clock. It now has 25,347 on it.

I have put it in car shows, and auto x it. But my DD is a 2007 Lexus E 350. I'm a salesman on the road, so I need a lot of space to carry samples and demo products. Then there is my lovely wife's car a 2009 Lexus ES 460, which is a great long trip road car, (13 hours of straight driving, 750 miles).

So, I guess you don't know all the different types of drivers out there.
Old 11-16-2013, 12:00 PM
Pintoblades
Racer

Originally Posted by RetiredSFC 97
I love those guys who keep garage queens. They are providing a valuable service caring for a car until I can afford to buy it.
LOL a lot of truth in that comment! Wish mine had low miles (98K) but the previous owners took good care of it and she drives great and has more power than I've every had in a car.
I will do the following: pamper it, upgrade a little, fix any present minor issues and drive it every chance I get. My Toyota 4runner has over 200k and is still driving like new...amazes me!
Old 11-17-2013, 11:28 PM
KingTut
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Just maybe there are low mikage drivers

I work out of my basement and I live 1 block from the tennis / golf club I belong to. Some weeks I do not actually drive anywhere.

Now when I do get to drive somewhere I always take the Vette.

It is one thing to leave it home on purpose and drive something else just to keep the miles lower - it is totally something else to just not have a need to drive a lot of miles.

I have had this car now for 12 years and expect to keep it for another 10 or more and as much as I use it - it will remain in excellent condition.

It actually has become quite cheap to own when the costs are spread over 12+ years.
Old 11-18-2013, 12:04 AM
CactusCat
Melting Slicks

Received 209 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by sircampsalot2
I would like to sneak into someones garage that has a pristine C5 with 20 miles on the odometer and take it for a spin....drive all night and return it with 450 miles on it...then see there face when they go into there garage to wax it and notice the miles! LMAO but I'm evil!
Ok Ferris Beuller, we hear you loud and clear... heh

Quick Reply: Garage Queens vs DD's