Sponsored by:

Stock C5 Audio System Questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2013, 10:49 AM
ianslt1
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Stock C5 Audio System Questions

I just went from a 2002 Z06 to an 03 Z06. Stock audio system (Bose speakers) which I am not happy with. I will be reinstalling my amp and sub from the 02 so low end covered. My question is if I just do a high quality head unit are the stock Bose speakers going to give premium sound or does it make more sense to go all new speakers plus the head unit. Do the new double din head units fit in the same space as the factory unit without modifications? Thanks for the input. Always appreciated! Ian
Old 06-17-2013, 12:28 PM
RetiredSFC 97
Team Owner

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10, '14

You need a customized bezel to install a double din unless there's something I don't know.

It would absolutely make sense to swap your speakers out.

All music starts with the speakers and their ability to reproduce sound. If they can't reproduce what you're sending to them you're losing sound quality.
Old 06-17-2013, 12:40 PM
jcgunn
Melting Slicks

Received 277 Likes on 184 Posts

you might try the audio forum, lots of threads about this stuff...
Old 06-17-2013, 12:49 PM
Bholifield4901
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just bought everything last week to do my sound system. DoubleD mods is the only way to go if you want the double din unit to look stock. They do really great work. Here is my list of what I bought

7" Pioneer DVD receiver AVH-x4500BT
6 1/2" JL Audio Evolution Series Speakers(front door)
5 1/4" JL Audio Evolution Series Speakers(rear)
Adapter Plates (for the front) ....got these off eBay for $24
DoubleD Mods Bezel

All together I think it was around $1150. The bezel is what cost the most at $480. They do have a option that allows you to send them your bezel and pay a couple hundred I think. The previous owner of my car broke my bezel where it slides under the console to be bolted down so I needed a new one anyway.
Old 06-17-2013, 01:07 PM
Mr.Bill
Race Director

Location: Reno is so close to Hell you can see Sparks , State Of Confusion
Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14

The stock radio opening is 1.5 din and a custom Nav unit is a double din, An upgraded DD will not fit the factory opening, You will need to have the bezel altered for the DD, The best place to start is with forum vendor Dennis at double D Mods, He can answer all your questions and can hook you up with what ever you want at a good price.
Mr.Bill
Old 06-17-2013, 08:05 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,226 Likes on 13,933 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Will just echo the comments here - speak with Dennis at Double D Mods and he can set you up with everything you need to have a killer sound system.
Old 06-17-2013, 09:58 PM
o2bnkc
Melting Slicks

Received 290 Likes on 202 Posts

I replaced mine with a Pioneer PH3300 DD. I was going to replace the Bose speakers also, but incredibly they sound great now! The head unit made a world of difference. I couldn't believe it! I would just change the head unit, and then if you're not satisfied, go buy the speakers. You might be surprised in the sound and tone of the new unit with those Bose speakers.

Old 06-17-2013, 10:29 PM
Ronnie wilkins
Racer

noticed that when using the CD the BOSE speakers sound much better than the radio. Back when I was younger BOSE was the way to go if you could afford them.
Old 06-17-2013, 10:51 PM
o2bnkc
Melting Slicks

Received 290 Likes on 202 Posts

Yep, Bose used to be the cats meow.
Old 06-18-2013, 05:41 AM
strand rider
Safety Car

Received 235 Likes on 181 Posts

Bose always ran a good sales pitch. Last I heard from him, via a print interview, he was quitting audio to get into electronic auto suspension systems.

I would say the lack of pedigree Bose brings to car audio is in character with GM and the minds at work over there at the time.

Bose made some good little bookshelf speakers. Most people don't know audio so Bose is good enough for most people.

A bose factory rep taught me a little jingle he picked up along the way. It went."Where's the highs? , Where's the lows? Goodness, gracious, must be Bose".

I have a convertible, so strong and loud were probably tops among the design specs for the speakers. My current thinking is to put a better driver in the mid range and then forget about any other improvements.
Old 06-18-2013, 08:43 AM
Ronnie wilkins
Racer

Originally Posted by strand rider
Bose always ran a good sales pitch. Last I heard from him, via a print interview, he was quitting audio to get into electronic auto suspension systems.

I would say the lack of pedigree Bose brings to car audio is in character with GM and the minds at work over there at the time.

Bose made some good little bookshelf speakers. Most people don't know audio so Bose is good enough for most people.

A bose factory rep taught me a little jingle he picked up along the way. It went."Where's the highs? , Where's the lows? Goodness, gracious, must be Bose".

I have a convertible, so strong and loud were probably tops among the design specs for the speakers. My current thinking is to put a better driver in the mid range and then forget about any other improvements.
Bose 901's on the stand were at one time about the top of the line but that was back in the 70's. I had a set of Pioneer HPM 150's with the 15" woofer and external tweeter that back then cost over $1,200 bucks, about the same as the 901's, and the base would blow the BOSE away however they made alot of those and they were the speaker of choice at that time.
The BOSE in my vert sounds like two skeletons humping on the hood. But I don't use it much anyway so it does not bother me to much. Back in my younger days I would have ripped it out for sure.
Old 06-18-2013, 02:42 PM
MyVetteDream
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: HOW FAST WAS I GOING OFFICER? Los Angeles Hating GM Dealership Service Dept.'s Since Sept. 2004
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '04-'05-'06-'07

It was here first in 04 when I heard it referred to as the Blose system...cause it did blow.

Reach out to Razor2430 about the double din bezel.

I promise you won't regret changing it out.

Get notified of new replies

To Stock C5 Audio System Questions

Quick Reply: Stock C5 Audio System Questions