C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

definitely sold on clay bar process...

Old 06-22-2013, 01:24 PM
dblerman
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Anybody with a silver car have any before/after comments about clay bar? I've never used clay before, but I usually wash my car every couple weeks and keep it waxed, and don't drive it in the rain. After I wash it it feels pretty smooth. Silver cars look clean even when they're dirty so I was wondering how much of a difference clay bar makes on silver (sebring/quicksilver/machine).
Old 06-22-2013, 01:45 PM
bladex10
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Chilliwack vettes
Our club had a polishing tutorial from a respected paint guy a couple of years ago. When questioned about clay bars, he totally dismissed them as unnecessary and could ruin the paint! Anyways, after hearing from many many members here about the great results, I tried it a couple of weeks ago. Worked great! Didn't have that much dirt come off but the paint was alot smoother. If the paint feels smoother, you know it's going to shine better too.
If it feels like glass it's going to shine like glass.
Im sorry but you should throw that polishing tutorial in the trash then. Any respected paint guy will tell you clay barring a car is a must if youre going to polish it.
Old 06-22-2013, 01:51 PM
bladex10
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by dblerman
Anybody with a silver car have any before/after comments about clay bar? I've never used clay before, but I usually wash my car every couple weeks and keep it waxed, and don't drive it in the rain. After I wash it it feels pretty smooth. Silver cars look clean even when they're dirty so I was wondering how much of a difference clay bar makes on silver (sebring/quicksilver/machine).
You wont see a huge difference on silver/lighter colors with claying, Its more of a step before polishing. Claying will bring out the "dept" in the paint because the surface grime is much like having a dirty window even after washing it, It still has a "fog" look to it. Same thing goes for your clear coat. Thats why the darker colored cars look like glass after you clay/wax it, that is if the surface is swirl/r.i.d free.
Old 07-08-2013, 05:00 PM
andynpz
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dumb question ... probably!

Originally Posted by 69monzacpe
When I picked the clay bar kit up at the parts store, the guy behind the counter asked me how to use it so I gave him a quick tutorial. My son in law has a nice 350Z vert, and wants me to show him how to use it. I ran my hand across the paint (without a plastic bag) and it needs to be done bad, was rough as a cob.
I never had a tutorial and I can't find the instructions that were in the claybar box. So, am I doing it right?

I roll the clay bar across the hood, say, and it becomes a longer and longer and thinner and thinner sausage. So I pick it up and fold it in half, and knead it a little, and move on to the next square foot, until the whole panel has been rolled. I'm asking because before I tried it I imagined that you would rub the bar along the paint, but that doesn't work because it's too sticky.

The result is great - smooth and slick as glass after waxing,

One more thing - what is the significance of the plastic bag in the quote?

Cheers, Andy
Old 07-08-2013, 07:01 PM
dblerman
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by andynpz
I never had a tutorial and I can't find the instructions that were in the claybar box. So, am I doing it right?

I roll the clay bar across the hood, say, and it becomes a longer and longer and thinner and thinner sausage. So I pick it up and fold it in half, and knead it a little, and move on to the next square foot, until the whole panel has been rolled. I'm asking because before I tried it I imagined that you would rub the bar along the paint, but that doesn't work because it's too sticky.

Cheers, Andy
Seriously.......
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=how+to+use+clay+bar
Old 07-08-2013, 09:51 PM
JaxEagle
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ZigZag
I've used it on my 99 Artic White, my 05 GTO, and even my wife's 09 Smart car. It works just great and they all finish smooth as a baby's bottom.
I bet that is one sweet smart car
Old 07-08-2013, 09:53 PM
Mr.Bill
Race Director

Location: Reno is so close to Hell you can see Sparks , State Of Confusion
Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14

Originally Posted by JaxEagle
I bet that is one sweet smart car
Old 07-08-2013, 10:14 PM
Pro

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by bladex10
Surprises me how many "waxxers" never heard of clay baring. Your car's paint will never show its true potential until you have taken off that layer of grime with clay.
I mention it to people and lots of times they have no idea what I'm talking about.
Old 07-08-2013, 10:41 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

Received 3,812 Likes on 1,925 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04

Technically, there is nothing else out there that will grab and pull contaminants that have etched themself into the clear coat, without removing any clear coat. Clay is like a bug guts magnet. If someone has never clayed their car, they are in for a real treat when doing a clay bar job followed by some good polish. Like everything else, the technique used is critical to the final results. Using lots of lube and a light hand works best. For me, claying ( using any brand ) and then a Zaino polish makes my car appear "wet" all the time.
Once you know how to clay your car, you can clay the whole car, one panel at a time. the time invested in claying should be anywhere from 20 minutes to 44 minutes, no more.. a coat of Zaino and the whole job should not take more than two hours,. clay and polish.
Bill aka ET
Old 07-08-2013, 11:16 PM
SmoothS70
Heel & Toe

I do detailing as a side job and I can tell you, most people don't know much about the clay bar process but they are amazed at the results I give them when I do their car. I have a 2000 Vette with 145,000 miles, its previous owner kept it outside year round.

Two quick iPhone pictures, its not silver but its close…

Old 07-14-2013, 11:51 AM
02bluez28
Instructor

Hi there, been A long time for A post. the clay bar, thoughts on the diff grades, thanks Larry. PS my 04 is up to 18600 on the clock.

Last edited by 02bluez28; 07-14-2013 at 11:54 AM.
Old 07-14-2013, 11:52 AM
jrose7004
Team Owner

Received 1,672 Likes on 1,295 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

I use clay bar on all of my cars at least once a year.
Old 07-14-2013, 12:25 PM
kartel
1st Gear

Default Great online car detailing site with uk products

I found this great Canadian web site with uk products take a look waxedshine.com
Old 07-14-2013, 01:48 PM
David Shiel
Drifting

Received 138 Likes on 81 Posts
Default Where is the best place to buy the Mequiar's

Originally Posted by Roger T
Before you put a coat of wax on your car,use something like Meguiar's No. 9 Swirl Remover, then use Mequiar's No. 205 Ultra Finishing Polish.
When it comes to waxing use Meguiar's No. 21 Synthetic Sealant 2.0 (for dark paint) or Meguiar's No. 26 Hi-Tech Yellow Wax (for light paint).
For maintanance, use Meguiar's No. 34 Final Inspection. I actually buy this product by the gallon.

You will appreciate the results.

I was taught this method by Jim Larson, Meguiar's head detailer.

Hope this helps.

Roger T
products you mention.? I use their Gold Class wax/sealant, spray wax and detailer, but I have not seen these.
Thanks,
Dave
Old 07-14-2013, 04:02 PM
Zr-1Mike00
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by PryOpenUr3rdEye
A "must do" for anyone who cares about their paint
Absolutely! Makes a huge difference.

Originally Posted by andynpz

Cheers, Andy
Ohhhhhh brother. Its not a rolling pin hah.

The kits usually come with the spray detailer (Lubricant for the Clay) Usually 2 Grams of clay, and a microfiber towel. Additional items I make sure I have are a plethora of microfiber towels, MUSIC, and a nice cold beverage... or 12...

In short (hopefully) the process I follow goes like this....

Step One: Wash the car (With CAR WASH 1st)... 2 Bucket method. Then a 3rd bucket for wheels and tires.

Step Two: Empty one bucket and rinse/clean out the wash mitt and bucket and then use DAWN DISH SOAP. This will take all the previous wax/polish off the car and take you down to the clear coat. Make sure you rinse the car very well after using the dish soap.

Step Three: Dry quickly and remove all water.

Step Four: I start with HALF the hood and work all the way around the car. Spray a liberal amount of the speed detailer over about a 2' x 2' area... kneed the clay and rub in straight lines back and fourth across the lubricated area... Spray more detailer as needed. You want to try and not have the clay hit a dry spot. Usually leaves a bit of clay which you have to lubricate and rub to get it off. No big deal.

Step Five: Apply Micro Polish/Swirl and Haze Remover of your choice. I use Adams or Zaino Z2. (I also use a more "abrasive" applicator pad with the polish step)

Step Six: Apply a coat of the wax of your choice. I use Zaino Z5 Show Car.

Step Seven: Step back and enjoy the shine! Snap a picture or 100 and go drive and show off it off (What I do)..... Or cover it

Hopefully that wasn't too painful, and helpful to those who have not done the process before. This may not be the way others do it however this is what I find to be a pretty darn good way of doing it.

Lastly the cellophane plastic sandwich bag is used to show just WHY the car needs to be clayed. Put your hand in the bag and rub it across the surface... Should feel rough and contaminated. Clay a small area and try the bag again... There you have the answer to why clay is so important!! Should feel smooth as glass!

(Before I used the Zaino...)

Just how wet does that look!?? Once you clay you never go back!

Old 07-14-2013, 05:33 PM
Witmer
Racer

Received 90 Likes on 47 Posts

I tried claying for the first time this year. Practiced on my daily driver and then did my C5. I was amazed at the results. Check out Adams Polishes. The products are great. He also has a bunch of instructional videos on his site and on youtube.

http://http://www.adamspolishes.com/p-37-adams-detailing-clay-bar-kit.aspx[/URL]
Old 07-14-2013, 07:43 PM
chasboy
Le Mans Master

Received 914 Likes on 721 Posts
Oldtimer

Originally Posted by Witmer
I tried claying for the first time this year. Practiced on my daily driver and then did my C5. I was amazed at the results. Check out Adams Polishes. The products are great. He also has a bunch of instructional videos on his site and on youtube.
http://http://www.adamspolishes.com/p-37-adams-detailing-clay-bar-kit.aspx[/URL]
Great product and procedures. Always there with help too!
Old 07-14-2013, 10:30 PM
SmoothS70
Heel & Toe

A few pictures of some clients cars…goes to show how prepping the surface is key to getting a good shine and protection…

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: definitely sold on clay bar process...