Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help!!!

Old 06-21-2013, 10:50 PM
Capeta
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help!!!

Hello guys, im new in the forum and im from mexico, in advance i apologize if i mispelled or my english is a little bad, i have bought a corvette 98 and recently i parked it and i cant just make it start anymore, i got a message on the display that says "check column lock" (the best translation i can occur hehehe) and another detail is that recently the little button on my key got loose, i found it and put back again, any of those details are key for my misfortune?? i need all the help i can get because i want to take it to the mechanic knowing exactly what to ask to be checked, i dont want to be ripped off for something minor that perhaps i can even fix. Thanks in advance...
Old 06-21-2013, 10:58 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

Originally Posted by Capeta
Hello guys, im new in the forum and im from mexico, in advance i apologize if i mispelled or my english is a little bad, i have bought a corvette 98 and recently i parked it and i cant just make it start anymore, i got a message on the display that says "check column lock" (the best translation i can occur hehehe) and another detail is that recently the little button on my key got loose, i found it and put back again, any of those details are key for my misfortune?? i need all the help i can get because i want to take it to the mechanic knowing exactly what to ask to be checked, i dont want to be ripped off for something minor that perhaps i can even fix. Thanks in advance...
Do a search in here on column Lock. A ton of info on it...
Old 06-21-2013, 11:07 PM
damilleniumboy
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Robert, I'm from Mexico too, and parts for Corvettes aren't readily available down there. I know from experience hehe, and very few, and I mean few, people know of the parts or of the car.

Primero lo que tienes que hacer es revisar que la corriente de el acumulador este vien. Ahora, si jaloneas el bolante de lado con la llave en la posicion de prendido "ON" a lado se desactiva la bobina que mantiene el bolante atrancado. Por lo general tienes que comprar una madre que se llama "column lock bypass" y no creo lo vendan en Mexico. Esto mantendra el bolante libre, es decir que no lo mantendra atrancado cuando apagues el coche. Esta parte falla en casi todos los Corvettes, y si se queta atrancado en la posicion donde no se mueve el volante pues en pocas palabras ya te fregaste. Soy de Guanajuato, que rollo?
Translating...
The first thing you need to do is to make sure you have full current and that your battery is in good conditions. Now, once you have a full battery jerk the steering wheel from side to side with the key in the "ON" position, and that helps get loose/unstuck the column lock actuator. Generally, you will have to buy a "column Lock Bypass," for the steering wheel, and I doubt you will find it in Mexico. This will keep the steering wheel free, per say it will not lock the steering wheel in place when you turn off the car. Now, this part fails in almost all of the older Coverttes, and if it does get stuck in the OFF position where you cannot move your steering wheel you will be stuck wherever you are. I'm from Guanajuato.

Last edited by damilleniumboy; 06-21-2013 at 11:12 PM.
Old 06-21-2013, 11:16 PM
damilleniumboy
Le Mans Master

Checate esta pagina weii, ahi te explica como instalar la madre esa que te digo. Esta en Ingles, pero hay traducidores en linea.

http://www.ls1howto.com/index.php?article=24
Old 06-21-2013, 11:17 PM
Capeta
5th Gear

Hey, much appreciated for the quick answer guys.

Oye damil muchas gracias por la informacion, checare mas tarde lo que me dijiste de la columna, oye otra pregunta, ya ves que la llave tiene un punto ***** que debe ser magnetico, se le cayo y se lo volvi a poner, influye la posicion en la que esta??
Porque al meter la llave me marca todo, al encenderlo es cuando falla, parece que encendera pero no lo hace... muchas gracias por la ayuda.
Old 06-21-2013, 11:23 PM
damilleniumboy
Le Mans Master

Si, es una resistencia y es por eso que te esta dando ese error. Sin esa recistencia no enciende el auto; cada Corvette tiene una Resistencia diferente que varia por auto. Si puedes quitala y sujetala con las manos, claro sin perderla, y trata de encender el auto con la Resistencia de posiciones diferentes. Es necesario que este ahi; como digo, sin la Resistencia esa no enciende el auto.
Old 06-21-2013, 11:25 PM
Capeta
5th Gear

No el chip si lo tiene ya la llave, pero al ponerselo no estoy seguro si esta en la posicion, aunque siento que eso no influye, checare lo de la columna y me comunico contigo despues ya que sabes mas que yo en esto y te molestare un rato. Gracias y buenas noches.
Old 06-21-2013, 11:26 PM
damilleniumboy
Le Mans Master

Si conoces a alguien que tenga un medidor de potencia, no se como se llame ohms, diles que te midan la Resistencia que tiene ese puntito ***** que dices tu, y en linea venden un buen de llaves por $50-70 pesos para el carro o ir a Chevrolet para que te hagan otra llave.
Old 06-21-2013, 11:28 PM
damilleniumboy
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Capeta
No el chip si lo tiene ya la llave, pero al ponerselo no estoy seguro si esta en la posicion, aunque siento que eso no influye, checare lo de la columna y me comunico contigo despues ya que sabes mas que yo en esto y te molestare un rato. Gracias y buenas noches.
Claro que influye, el carro enciende porque lee la Resistencia que tiene la llave. Sin esa Resistencia el carro nunca va a encender.
Old 06-21-2013, 11:29 PM
Capeta
5th Gear

Muchisimas gracias por tu informacion, checare tambien la resistencia despues de lo de la columna.
Old 06-21-2013, 11:31 PM
damilleniumboy
Le Mans Master

Si vez el puntito ***** con un pedaso de metal en el medio (l) ese, esa es la Resistencia. Sin esa Resistencia el auto no va a empezar nunca. Es parte del equipo de seguridad del auto de fabrica.

Old 06-22-2013, 12:05 AM
olbear1962
Safety Car

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Good luck on your repairs, we have great forum members who are always willing to help a fellow Corvette owner.
Old 06-22-2013, 12:11 AM
Chilliwack vettes
Melting Slicks

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Well... isn't this just lovely!

Do we have the best members to help fellow C5 owners? - check
Are we able to help members in other countries? - check
Can we help members who speak Spanish? - check!

You guys never cease to amaze me!

Old 06-22-2013, 12:45 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,209 Likes on 13,925 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Congrats on getting the '98 and hope you get the problem with the car fixed soon.
Old 06-22-2013, 02:37 AM
jdot
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bonne chance!! oops...
Old 06-22-2013, 10:23 AM
Ole Blaster
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

welcome to our home Capeta... I had the same thing happen to me also...scarey too... I disconnected and charged my battery fully..then reconnected and it was fine.. (quick fix) If you let the car sit long periods the battery will drain...I use a battery tender type charger to keep it topped off now..If I drive it on a sat. or sunday By wed. I'll reconnect the charger even after having the locking pin removed..Best of luck to you my friend,,,enjoy your vette,, it's a lot of fun to drive..
Old 06-24-2013, 01:53 PM
Capeta
5th Gear

Thanks to everybody, truly its a great community and im grateful to everyone that post a reply or sympathy. Your the best guys.

Get notified of new replies

To Help!!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Help!!!