Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Convertible loudness

Old 06-01-2013, 09:23 AM
LD85
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Convertible loudness

I'm looking for a 04 C5 Convertible, I have not driven one yet, but a friend told me he rode in one and it was little loud inside.

Any truth to this? Do they leak or do they seal well?
Old 06-01-2013, 09:26 AM
82CEFan
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

My 2000 is louder than a regular vette but you can still have an easy conversation without yelly. with or without the top up. No leaks
Old 06-01-2013, 09:31 AM
Gsmooth33
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is a little noisy but it is not my dd so I don't mind.
Old 06-01-2013, 09:33 AM
fwrogg
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

With top down on the interstate with traffic like trucks is the only time it bothers me or is excessive. On other roads it is amazing the dimension it adds to driving and what you can hear, i would never want to be without a vert for just driving pleasure. No issues with the top leaking air or water, even when i wash it with the hose.
Old 06-01-2013, 09:43 AM
LD85
Race Director

I'm sold on the vert, just have to find one with reasonable miles, the hunt is on.
Old 06-01-2013, 09:52 AM
F&Yb0dluvr
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

With the top up road noise is slightly louder than the coupe but with the top down against the Coupes top off the exhaust is louder and wind\road noise is actually quieter.

Unless it's raining out or below 50 my top is down... love my Vert.
Old 06-01-2013, 11:14 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 226 Posts

I have driven a lot of lesser expensive convertibles like a Sebring, etc. They are nice because they are convertibles but with the top up they are noisy. I was really amazed at how quite my 2001 convertible is. Much more so than I ever expected. The cloth top may be one of the reasons.
Old 06-01-2013, 11:19 AM
MSG C5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,668 Likes on 1,479 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019
2018 C5 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by LD85
I'm sold on the vert, just have to find one with reasonable miles, the hunt is on.
Look for C5 convertibles in Florida. There are many, low-mile, seasonal garage queens down here for sale. A friend of mine picked up a black with red interior, beautiful 2003 C5 convertible with less than 15K miles last year for a great price!

Easily worth the cost of a transport or better yet, come down and drive it home!
Old 06-01-2013, 11:32 AM
PhysicsDude55
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I was skeptical when I bought my C5 vert, as I had never owned a convertible before.

I was pleasantly surprised how quiet and comfortable it was with the top down. When you're going over 55mph or so, its a little windy and noisy, but around town, its not very loud or windy at all. Under 55mph, you can have a comfortable conversation in the car, and long hair doesn't get blown around.

With the top up there is quite a bit of exhaust noise (I have loud exhaust anyway), but not that much road noise. Right after I bought my vert I went for a ride with a friend in a new Challenger R/T, and we went on the highway with windows/sunroof down, and I was really annoyed with how windy and noisy it was! It was way noisier and windier than the vert.

If the car is going to be your daily driver, I don't know that a vert is the best idea, but if its a weekend pleasure car like mine is, its a no brainer. I usually park my vert in the garage with the top down and a car cover on it, because I rarely drive it with the top up!

Also be aware that convertibles are about 10% more expensive than a comparable coupe, but around the same price as a comparable Z06.

Also, convertibles are a little slower than coupes/Z06s due to their increased wind resistance, but they weigh the same as a coupe, due to the C5 platform being designed as a convertible first, not as an afterthought like a lot of other verts. This also means C5 convertibles have great structural rigidity.
Old 06-01-2013, 12:28 PM
LD85
Race Director

Originally Posted by MSG C5
Look for C5 convertibles in Florida. There are many, low-mile, seasonal garage queens down here for sale. A friend of mine picked up a black with red interior, beautiful 2003 C5 convertible with less than 15K miles last year for a great price!

Easily worth the cost of a transport or better yet, come down and drive it home!

I lived their 15 years, I bought my 1985 in Melbourne in 1997.

If I can sell my car and get some cash in hand, I would fly down, see friends, have a Steak at Bernes in Tampa, and cruise back

Car will be a 3rd car, maybe 3k miles per year, garaged from Nov-March
Old 06-01-2013, 12:41 PM
MSG C5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

2018 C5 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by LD85

I lived their 15 years, I bought my 1985 in Melbourne in 1997.

If I can sell my car and get some cash in hand, I would fly down, see friends, have a Steak at Bernes in Tampa, and cruise back

Car will be a 3rd car, maybe 3k miles per year, garaged from Nov-March
If you find any in the Tampa/Sarasota area, let me know and I will be happy to check them out for you!

Old 06-01-2013, 12:59 PM
Rookieracer
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 197 Likes on 118 Posts

Get rid of the factory run flat tires and the vert is amazingly quiet with the top up. With the top down my passenger can still have a cell phone conversatiion at 65 mph.

I use mine as a daily driver.
Old 06-01-2013, 01:07 PM
MSG C5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

2018 C5 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Rookieracer
Get rid of the factory run flat tires and the vert is amazingly quiet with the top up. With the top down my passenger can still have a cell phone conversatiion at 65 mph.

I also installed a heat and sound insulator system when I upgraded my stereo and installed a new NAV system, sub, speakers, and amp.

In the end, it's going to be loud when the top is down. Buy a nice cap/hat and enjoy the experience. However, when the top and windows are up for long expressway drives, etc., the noise has been significantly reduced compared to my stock run-flat/stereo set up, plus the new stereo rocks to help further reduce unwanted noise!

Old 06-01-2013, 02:49 PM
phoneman91
Pro

Received 54 Likes on 32 Posts

Yes-the Convertible is surprisingly quiet with the top down.

And Michelin A/S + ZP tires really do make an improvement over the GY RF factory tires.

And it is possible to roll up the side windows with the top down to even lower interior noise at highway speed if necessary.

I notice additional noise if passing lane divider Jersey Barriers on the highway at speed and will roll up the side windows for relief at times.

And the C5 convertible is sexier with the "water fall" between the seats

And remember:the first 9 years of the Corvette model years were all convertibles! For a reason!

Last edited by phoneman91; 06-01-2013 at 02:52 PM.
Old 06-01-2013, 03:02 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

Originally Posted by Rookieracer

Old 06-01-2013, 03:20 PM
PETE O.
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A roadster is a roadster, loud and proud! I absolutely love mine and the top isn't up very often. I bought one of those Wind Deflector pieces of crap thinking it would be a quieter ride but it was a total waste of time and money. Be happy with the wind and the noise, they're part of the pleasure! I wouldn't own anything but a Vette Vert!
Old 06-01-2013, 03:47 PM
stevegray04
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '14

At freeway speeds of 70 or more, there is some wind noise, but it's not a big problem. At 60 or below, normal conversation and listening to music are no problem. I have Michelin PS/AS+ tires that are very quiet, so I hear no tire noise regardless of speed. Also, the top seals very well, further reducing the noise.

Find a nice one and enjoy it.

Get notified of new replies

To Convertible loudness

Old 06-01-2013, 05:16 PM
Coach32
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

I believe I read some where that starting in 2001 the tops had 7 layers of fabric for just that reason.

I just purchased and C5 Convertible and as soon as I can replace the Kumho tires with Michelins I know I will have a quiet ride.
Old 06-01-2013, 05:56 PM
Drummingdad
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Though this is our first Vette, it is about the 6th convertible. We love em. Previously we spent about 12 years riding Harley's. Now that we are older, having the wind in our hair and the sun on our faces without having to dress in leathers and boots, eat bugs and put your foot down at stop signs has became more appealing.
We've concluded through our friends, there isn't a lot of middle ground with rag tops. You either like them or hate them. My elderly father that has to wear hearing aids, can not stand to ride in convertibles. The "white" noise from the top drives him insane. He will ride in my wife's vert. to doctors visits as long as we aren't on the interstate, but it's newer and is comparatively quiet for a convertible.
In the Vette, I seem to notice more noise originating from the opening to the trunk area and the run flat tires. The noise I hear from air running over the cloth top doesn't seem to be any more than some of the other cars we've owned in past. Mostly I would assume due to the reduced sound insulation as whole through out the entire design of the car. The wind whip you get from the back seat cavity isn't present in the Vette.

As others have stated in the thread though, I didn't pay extra to buy a convertible to drive around with the top up.

The awesome looking waterfall between the seats doesn't suck either.
Old 06-01-2013, 08:59 PM
wild oats
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

..went to a vert after two coupes.........just.love it.. no run flats get a little quality compressor /its a nice package .

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Convertible loudness