Sponsored by:

Trouble codes on 2004 convertable

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2014, 09:36 PM
notnuts16
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Trouble codes on 2004 convertable

I started having a problem with ABS, Active Handling and Traction control flashing on the DIC. I downloaded the trouble codes and they indicated that the passenger side wheel speed sensor was bad. I purchased and new one from GM and installed it. Took the car out for a drive and as soon as I got to about 15mph, the lights still came on. This time the codes were C1232,1233,1248,and 1283. I believe that these mean both right and left wheel speed sensors. I can't remember what the other two indicate but can all this be telling me the EBCM may be the problem?
Old 06-25-2014, 06:46 AM
chuckeb84
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7
First there are no codes that tell you any part is bad. The codes point you in the direction of where to start diagnosing a problem. YOU have to determine what is wrong and just throwing parts at it is NOT diagnosing the CAUSE of the codes.

Wheel speed sensors seldom go bad. The majority of the time the issue is the electrical connection to the sensors. Either a damaged wire or the contacts inside the connector that mates the sensor wiring to the car wiring. For the original problem you haven't given us a code or whether it was a front or rear sensor, but I'll guess it was either C1226 or C1228 if it was a front sensor or C1233 or C1235 if it was a rear sensor.

What you SHOULD have done was pull off the wheel where the code indicated and examined carefully the wiring to the sensor, both the wiring on the sensor side of the connector and the car side wiring for damage. Then separate the connector halves and carefully examined the contacts on both halves of the connector for corrosion or malformation of the contact surfaces. Bent/deformed contacts is the MOST common cause of wheel speed sensor codes.

Moving on to the codes that you currently have, I suggest you do exactly what I just suggested for codes C1232 and C1233. I would bet the contacts inside the connector are bent such that they fail to make proper contact. The C1248 code is set because the wheel speed sensors on both wheels on the same axle are set. Fix the sensor electrical issues and those 3 codes will no longer be set.

As for the C1283 code, that would indicate a Steering Wheel Position Sensor issue. Start there by checking the position of the steering wheel while driving straight ahead on a flat and straight road. If the wheel is not exactly centered, this can cause the SWPS codes to be set. If the wheel is centered then the SWPS may be going bad. These DO fail and the solution may be to replace the SWPS. I would treat this code separately from the others. Does the code show up as an H code after the engine has been shut off??? Either the WSS or SWPS having issues will set the AH/TC light on the dash to illuminate but DO NOT prevent the anti lock brakes from functioning. AH and TC will not work but the antilock brakes should continue to work.

As far as the EBCM being bad, it might be, but I would start with the FREE repairs before throwing parts at the problem. You would likely be very upset if you spent the large $$$$$ for an EBCM and STILL had all the same problems.

Don't forget to CLEAR all the codes after you make repairs so that you start with a clean slate and not with left over error codes.....
Nice review
Old 06-25-2014, 09:16 PM
notnuts16
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Default code issues

Originally Posted by chuckeb84
Nice review
thanks for the info. I did replace the SWPS about a year ago when I was having TC problems. That did solve those issues. Looks like I have some investigating to do. Thanks again for the info.

Get notified of new replies

To Trouble codes on 2004 convertable

Quick Reply: Trouble codes on 2004 convertable