Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Detailers; look what I found after REALLY cleaning her up..........

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2013, 12:01 PM
projectcop
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Detailers; look what I found after REALLY cleaning her up..........

Wow;
Hello again folks. Well, after sitting here staring at some Zaino products for a while; I finally decided to clean her up really well to prepare for application of a couple coats.
I thought I would start with a couple of good dawn washes to get all the old wax off and then a good overall clay bar. I knew I was going to have to attend to a few light scratches and swirl marks.
Well imagine my surprise after the dawn washes when I found this!!!! No use clay barring this!
Man, I am in for a lot of work. I don't know what they applied to this car to hide all of this, but that is some pretty good stuff.

Old 07-12-2013, 12:03 PM
c5vetteguy
Melting Slicks

Received 231 Likes on 163 Posts
2018 C5 of Year Finalist

That's all caused by people leaving electric buffers on their hood.
Old 07-12-2013, 12:06 PM
Cutlassmaster
Burning Brakes

Received 107 Likes on 84 Posts

That was some powerful dawn!
Old 07-12-2013, 12:07 PM
cdnguyred88
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Old 07-12-2013, 12:08 PM
projectcop
Advanced

Don't mind that inferior product sitting on the window there, I just wanted to see if I could disguise some of it for now...................
Old 07-12-2013, 12:18 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

Received 3,812 Likes on 1,925 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04

Not sure what you are trying to say. The only thing I see is the abuse that would be typical of someone that doesn't care enough about their paint and allows the machine to lay on the surface. I have absolutely beautiful paint, I have never once in 50 years old detailing ever laid a machine, or even the hose or cord that powers the tool. FYI Zaino is and never has been a product that would restore abused paint. Its for paint that has been well taken care of, and the means by which to take a great paint surface and elevated it to a fabulous finish. When I pull my car into a dealership and park it next to Brand new cars on the lot, my car's paint look wetter and much more vibrant than any new car.
Old 07-12-2013, 12:19 PM
0Johnny@MTI
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

how did it come out?...if it did
Old 07-12-2013, 12:20 PM
Cutlassmaster
Burning Brakes

Received 107 Likes on 84 Posts

When something like that happens I always say time for an upgrade. Find another hood, if you like non-stock ones, and get it painted to match your car. Otherwise reprint what you have. That would really **** me off but find a bright side somehow and make it better. Sorry about it.
GL
Chris
Old 07-12-2013, 12:21 PM
RedZMonte
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

might be worth while to have a wet sand and pollish done professionally..

S
Old 07-12-2013, 12:30 PM
RMB97LS1
Pro

I've used Dawn on mine and it didn't look anything like that.. You've got a lot of work ahead of you. What does the rest of the car look like?
Old 07-12-2013, 12:43 PM
projectcop
Advanced

The sides of the car look pretty good. I think what happened is the p/o washed the car with something really abrasive and probably waxed with something abrasive also. So, over time it came to look like this.
I think either the p/o or dealer put some sort of product on the car that covered a lot of this up. Whatever it was, it turned the water in my bucket black from rinsing the soft wash mitt out.
I'm a bit upset, but not at them. I am upset with myself about not finding this before buying the car. It actually looked pretty good except for some light swirl marks that I was pretty sure could be detail out.
Now that I have washed off whatever was applied to the car, I have found many bad swirl marks and a possibly failing clear coat across the top of the car. The top looks like this also.
The stuff you see on the hood was an attempt to see if this was the product they had covered up all of the damage with. It helped a little, but not much. I have already washed it again to remove it and am now trying to decide if I should attempt this myself or take it to a pro.
And btw, if my paint was good, I would never have laid anything on that hood!
Old 07-12-2013, 12:48 PM
ChromeC5
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Ho long ago did you buy the car? Could you take it back and ask what they did to cover this up?
Old 07-12-2013, 12:55 PM
Yello95
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,227 Likes on 874 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by projectcop
Wow;
Hello again folks. Well, after sitting here staring at some Zaino products for a while; I finally decided to clean her up really well to prepare for application of a couple coats.
I thought I would start with a couple of good dawn washes to get all the old wax off and then a good overall clay bar. I knew I was going to have to attend to a few light scratches and swirl marks.
Well imagine my surprise after the dawn washes when I found this!!!! No use clay barring this!
Man, I am in for a lot of work. I don't know what they applied to this car to hide all of this, but that is some pretty good stuff.

Did you own this vehicle and sell it to yourself? Maybe before you sold it to yourself you layed too many tools and crap on the hood to cause all the paint damage
Old 07-12-2013, 12:55 PM
fwrogg
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by c5vetteguy
That's all caused by people leaving electric buffers on their hood.
Funnest quote yet
Old 07-12-2013, 01:02 PM
fwrogg
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I am actually very sorry this has happened to you, I know we all want our cars to look like what Evil-Twin indicated and this is a major set back that will bug you till it is resolved.
Old 07-12-2013, 01:07 PM
Aerovette
Team Owner

Received 585 Likes on 265 Posts

Originally Posted by Evil-Twin
Not sure what you are trying to say. The only thing I see is the abuse that would be typical of someone that doesn't care enough about their paint and allows the machine to lay on the surface. I have absolutely beautiful paint, I have never once in 50 years old detailing ever laid a machine, or even the hose or cord that powers the tool. FYI Zaino is and never has been a product that would restore abused paint. Its for paint that has been well taken care of, and the means by which to take a great paint surface and elevated it to a fabulous finish. When I pull my car into a dealership and park it next to Brand new cars on the lot, my car's paint look wetter and much more vibrant than any new car.
Point missed.
Old 07-12-2013, 01:11 PM
projectcop
Advanced

Ok guys;
I can take a joke as well as the next guy (actually have a pretty twisted sense of humor after being in law enforcement for the past 20+ years). So go ahead and have your fun; actually the first reply was pretty good.
But giving me grief about very carefully placing a buffer on what is a REALLY messed up hood that may need hours of work anyway? Come on. I already feel bad enough.

HEY, I know what!!!! What about plast-dipping the whole car???? (JK)

Get notified of new replies

To Detailers; look what I found after REALLY cleaning her up..........

Old 07-12-2013, 01:16 PM
Ohyoufan
Pro

Originally Posted by projectcop
Ok guys;
I can take a joke as well as the next guy (actually have a pretty twisted sense of humor after being in law enforcement for the past 20+ years). So go ahead and have your fun; actually the first reply was pretty good.
But giving me grief about very carefully placing a buffer on what is a REALLY messed up hood that may need hours of work anyway? Come on. I already feel bad enough.

HEY, I know what!!!! What about plast-dipping the whole car???? (JK)
Don't worry about it man, everyones a critic here that makes it a point to criticize you before actually answering your question or giving you advice. You get used to it pretty quick lol My dad was in law enforcement for a long time too and I grew up watching him and all of his buddies give each other crap all of the time lol
Old 07-12-2013, 01:21 PM
projectcop
Advanced

Originally Posted by Evil-Twin
Not sure what you are trying to say. The only thing I see is the abuse that would be typical of someone that doesn't care enough about their paint and allows the machine to lay on the surface.
1. I do care about my paint. The previous owner did this to this car.

I have absolutely beautiful paint, I have never once in 50 years old detailing ever laid a machine, or even the hose or cord that powers the tool.
2. I very carefully laid that there. AND, if my paint was not tore up already, there would never be anything on my hood.

FYI Zaino is and never has been a product that would restore abused paint. Its for paint that has been well taken care of, and the means by which to take a great paint surface and elevated it to a fabulous finish.
3. I never said I expected Zaino to fix this. If you really read what I originally posted, you will find that I did not know this damage was there. I discovered it after washing the car with dawn twice. I completely understand that a liquid alone will not fix this.

When I pull my car into a dealership and park it next to Brand new cars on the lot, my car's paint look wetter and much more vibrant than any new car.
You obviously know what you are doing, and take care of your car beautifully. I appreciate and respect that.

Anyway, thinking about taking it to a pro to get it done right.

BTW, I am really not trying to flame you or start any bad blood between us, just making some points. I hope you take it as such.
Old 07-12-2013, 01:57 PM
badass7
Pro

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

Forget about swirls.....Looks like paint has come off.

Quick Reply: Detailers; look what I found after REALLY cleaning her up..........