C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

*Car Shows......I don't get it???

Old 07-26-2013, 09:28 PM
WICKEDFRC
Race Director

Received 1,652 Likes on 738 Posts

I too enjoy the car shows. Just walking around, asking questions about the rides.....

First car show I entered that had plenty of old fully restored cars.

Completely restored 68 Camaro SS', old restored Novas, 1934 T Bucket, etc. It was 100% BS.

A PT Cruiser "Stole the Show". Took 1st Place.
Old 07-26-2013, 09:31 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

Received 3,812 Likes on 1,925 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04

If I can ease into this conversation. Back in the 60's and seventies car shows where much less political. and much more fun. I grew up in the American graffiti years where we all hung out at drive in hamburger places, and knew of a few places where you could break the law with a comparative display of speed. I like to see nice looking cars but would never enter a local contest but would attend.
ON the other hand I love to see big horse power cars at the track. While I like to get out of someone way on the highway as a defensive measure. I can not see me at anytime competing in sanctioned drag racing as I once did in the 60's .. AS far as a car show goes.. the way I see it,at least in my case. Lots of retired time on my hands and an opportunity to keep the car clean. Every day is a car show with lots of non judgmental people giving praise. It seems everyday IM a winner, and I really cant go much faster, on the street than anyone else. the need for speed is much less interesting for me personally. I do understand the " Need" for others.
Old 07-26-2013, 10:02 PM
FormerlyFiero
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Oldtimer

I go to local shows, enter when the mood strikes, but I won't join a club, just not my thing. Pizza and beer meetings aren't such a good thing for a 17 year recovering alcoholic anyway

I figure the $20 entry buys me a front row seat and a chance to talk cars, yours and mine, all day long.
Old 07-26-2013, 10:35 PM
Chilliwack vettes
Melting Slicks

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Well I've started quite a few car pics threads so you all know that I love going to them! But I don't enter them to win - I enter for the fun especially if it means a road trip with a bunch of other Vettes! I also 'run what I bring' - bugs and all! Of course I'll wash it before the show but I'm not going to spend all morning at a show getting it all perfect.
Old 07-26-2013, 10:38 PM
3318C5
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I actually like attending cars shows quite a bit. Why? Because I love to see cars in general, so I get to talk to folks & appreciate the effort that they have put into their cars. Many times I get good ideas about looks & performance.

The MAIN thing is that I go to have FUN & NEVER expect to win. This is what keeps it fun to me. To my surprise I've won a few times which is a good surprise, especially when you don't expect it.
Old 07-26-2013, 10:45 PM
MSG C5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,671 Likes on 1,479 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019
2018 C5 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Blitzkrieg
When is your next Chicago Visit? You need a ride in a boosted Vette and I need that beer you promised!
Absolutely! I'm hoping to get back up there this fall. I had a quick in/out trip in March, but didn't leave the city except for the airport.
Old 07-26-2013, 10:58 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,188 Likes on 13,911 Posts
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Originally Posted by zipity
Since you asked I will chime in. This is not my personal opinion, but rather an answer to your question as to why folks attend car shows. I run three large scale Corvette shows locally and I am involved with many others.

My first comment is, if you find or are attending car shows where the members are entering and judging their own Club cars; then quite frankly I would find a different car show to attend.
None of the shows I am involved with are any Club cars eligible to win a trophy, let alone judge another Club members car. That's just like when Congress votes to give themselves a raise every year while raising taxes. When my Club hosts the show we park our cars in a separate Club Area away from the folks who have entered the show.

People's Choice Shows are a tough one to call. Because let's say a car club shows up to the show with 20 cars and decide that today we are all going to vote for "Johnny's Car" and stuff the ballot box. The only way around this is to set up the voting system to not allow car club members to vote for other club members. It's a lot of work but most don't take the time to figure out how to do it. I tend to avoid People Choice shows, unless the show is tied to a charity I like.

And to answer the question why do people attend and wax within an inch of the clear coat.....well for the same reason folks drag race, road race, etc; it's a form of competition for them. Especially if that someone is retired and doesn't want to or physically can't drag race or doesn't have the family obligation, or the fact that it might be their escape for a Saturday afternoon. It's kinda the same reason folks like to walk along green grass and hit a little white ball over and over again. That's something I don't get, but I understand why some folks love it, it's just not for me though.

As they say to each their own. And I recommend staying away for club voting shows when the club cars are eligible to win.

No matter how you enjoy your Corvette, get out and enjoy it!!
Well said.
Old 07-27-2013, 12:08 AM
Suthunman
Safety Car

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

I like to go to car shows just to look. I prefer the ones that have all kinds of cars. The past couple of years I have gone to Sam's Town in Tunica for their show. The only criteria is the car has to be at least 11 years old, I think. These pics are of the cars there. I couldn't get them all in one picture.

Old 07-27-2013, 01:31 AM
damilleniumboy
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm a mod guy who loves big HP and fast cars, waxing isn't for me, I'd rather drive the dirty car.
Exactly, although my car isn't too big on HP just yet.
Old 07-27-2013, 01:36 AM
jd_black_00
Melting Slicks

Received 470 Likes on 145 Posts
2016 C5 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '12, '14

I entered my car in a car show for the first time last weekend, but only because it allowed me to take 8 parade laps around Autobahn raceway!!! Other than that, I know my car isn't the kind of thing that the judges are looking for at these shows
Old 07-27-2013, 06:24 AM
pewter99
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,194 Likes on 704 Posts
Pilot of Beer Force 1
Tampa Regional Coordinator
CI 4-5-6-7-8 Veteran
Organizer St. Jude Fundraiser
I believe in the Beer Fairy

Originally Posted by DevilDog II
I'm not quite sure why my posts are going to the top and not the bottom.
forum clock is FUBAR....they are working on it
Old 07-27-2013, 07:36 AM
mph1972
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In VIII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by meflyfrc
Can't say I agree about driving the dirty car but completely agree about cars show. I typically go to a car shows for fun, relaxation and supporting a good cause.

Of course, I do like to keep my ride clean, don't get to drive it much, so when I do, I like it looking gooooooood.

I would rather be around those that have more of a like minded way as I do. I like nice rides (vettes of course being near the top of the list), big HP cars, lots of testosterone and hot girls and not a bunch of folks that do as the opening thread poster mentioned...go, just to vote for their own club members ride.

Plus, in smaller areas, after you have been to a few shows, it is typically always the same cars, same winners and just gets boring. When I hang with the different car guys and their choices of makes and models, I often see new projects, toys and "ladies!"
Old 07-27-2013, 07:59 AM
PeterB
Drifting

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Personally I will not be registering for any shows, its for guys that have everything in the engine compartment immaculate and every option conceivable, with the mirrors under the car types; That's never going to be me, I'm just not that passionate. But I get it.

I do enjoy washing the car (takes 10minutes) waxing it takes an hour at most and that's doing everything including the jams, wheels and siliconeing the rubber all around. No biggie, its relaxing for me and looks bitchnnnn afterwards cruising...

Later seeing the Xs reaction when I pull up, while steams coming out of her ears as I pick up my little guy and he yells "Daddy's got the Corvette. Mon the speedometer goes up to 200MPH" as we drive away. Priceless!

Nicholas PeterB.(8) took over 100 photos some of them are really unique & super shots. This was last week Brian at the Hooters Car Show (Higgins & Cumberland) and yes my suggestion on the 2nd photo as that brunette Susie was absolutely stunning. What a babe!

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by PeterB; 07-27-2013 at 05:47 PM.
Old 07-27-2013, 09:28 AM
JaxEagle
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Register my vote as someone that isn't into the car show judging. I don't care to play the game of "vote for the car club members' cars."

I'd rather go to a show where there were no awards, just nice cars, good chat and perhaps some food and drink.
Old 07-27-2013, 09:53 AM
MSG C5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,671 Likes on 1,479 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019
2018 C5 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by zipity
Since you asked I will chime in. This is not my personal opinion, but rather an answer to your question as to why folks attend car shows. I run three large scale Corvette shows locally and I am involved with many others.

My first comment is, if you find or are attending car shows where the members are entering and judging their own Club cars; then quite frankly I would find a different car show to attend.
None of the shows I am involved with are any Club cars eligible to win a trophy, let alone judge another Club members car. That's just like when Congress votes to give themselves a raise every year while raising taxes. When my Club hosts the show we park our cars in a separate Club Area away from the folks who have entered the show.

People's Choice Shows are a tough one to call. Because let's say a car club shows up to the show with 20 cars and decide that today we are all going to vote for "Johnny's Car" and stuff the ballot box. The only way around this is to set up the voting system to not allow car club members to vote for other club members. It's a lot of work but most don't take the time to figure out how to do it. I tend to avoid People Choice shows, unless the show is tied to a charity I like.

And to answer the question why do people attend and wax within an inch of the clear coat.....well for the same reason folks drag race, road race, etc; it's a form of competition for them. Especially if that someone is retired and doesn't want to or physically can't drag race or doesn't have the family obligation, or the fact that it might be their escape for a Saturday afternoon. It's kinda the same reason folks like to walk along green grass and hit a little white ball over and over again. That's something I don't get, but I understand why some folks love it, it's just not for me though.

As they say to each their own. And I recommend staying away for club voting shows when the club cars are eligible to win.

No matter how you enjoy your Corvette, get out and enjoy it!!
Our club also hosts shows for charity and we are not eligible to enter our cars. Voting is restricted to the participants of the show with the exception of "People's Choice" which is open to all who attend the show.

The challenge is simple math. If there are 100 cars registered and one visiting/participating club shows up with 50 cars, odds are they will walk with the trophies. The members will say they are objective, but in the end most will huddle up together and compare ballots. If the hosting club also judges the cars, the politics get worse because they don't want to insult a club that showed up with 50% of their entrance fees and charity contribution in fear of the club not attending their next show.

I know many of us enjoy going to car shows to look at other cars and get ideas, share stories, etc. However on the other side, there are guys who go to car shows to win trophies. The arrive, detail, and then sit by their cars the entire day. To each their own. Neither is right or wrong, however know what your going up against if you are a casual waxer/detailer who drives his car more than he shows it. I once saw a guy use a Q-tip sprayed with tire dressing detailing the treads of his tires. These guys are serious about winning trophies!

Edit: BTW, the guy who detailed his tire treads made a complete *** out of himself pulling out of the show as he fishtailed and almost hit a pedestrian in the cross walk. Not because of the HP, but because his tires treads were all milked up with tire dressing.

Last edited by MSG C5; 07-27-2013 at 10:03 AM.
Old 07-27-2013, 11:32 AM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,836 Likes on 1,799 Posts

Originally Posted by PeterB.
Later seeing the Xs reaction when I pull up, while steams coming out of her ears as I pick up my little guy and he yells "Daddy's got the Corvette. Mon the speedometer goes up to 200MPH" as we drive away. Priceless!
This is one of my favorite things about owning my Corvette. So much smoke comes out of the ex when my little one starts talking about my car the national weather service issues a level orange pollution warning.

I just wish I'd had a camera handy the first time I pulled up after buying my Corvette. If looks could kill I'd have been burned to ash on the spot.
Old 07-27-2013, 11:46 AM
AVENGER
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 3318C5
I actually like attending cars shows quite a bit. Why? Because I love to see cars in general, so I get to talk to folks & appreciate the effort that they have put into their cars. Many times I get good ideas about looks & performance.

The MAIN thing is that I go to have FUN & NEVER expect to win. This is what keeps it fun to me. To my surprise I've won a few times which is a good surprise, especially when you don't expect it.
Perfect Response

Get notified of new replies

To *Car Shows......I don't get it???

Old 07-27-2013, 11:53 AM
MrGary2011
Burning Brakes

Received 233 Likes on 109 Posts

Default Too bad!

Although I am new to car shows (only been to 7 - took a first, 2 seconds and 1 top five all corvettes). I was a non member and have done pretty good. I do like the competition, I like getting the car in show room condition (keeps it perfect and is a great hobby) and showing it off! My wife says I need to chill and calm down (which I have somewhat). I saw this one lady get upset because here car got hit for something like wax inside the body seems (it was a hit0 most entertaining. I love going and actually don't mind getting judged and hit on stuff I did not see (last one someone spotted a tear in my rubber insulation on the convertible top - put new one on order). Last weekend I went to a all Corvette all Camaro show and it was fun. I liked talking with the Camaro ladies (they seem to be in love with those cars and are a younger group). Took lots of video and pics with some calendar girls, bonded with a club member (from the club I just joined) I can't speak to all of you for your disappointments at going to shows (glad I don't live in your areas). The ones I have been going to have overnight stays, dinner banquet auctions and such - beverage event times and are a blast.

What's not to like about this (Top 5 all Corvette award)?
Old 07-27-2013, 06:32 PM
RetiredSFC 97
Team Owner

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10, '14

I don't go to as many shows as I would like because I don't have time for them. But I for one really appreciate those who put them on and the work that goes into it.

It goes a long way in promoting our hobby and our cars. The folks who are really into them are one of the reasons you can still find a 98 C5 with 15K on the odo. I love those guys.

Things I don't like, which I have never seen anywhere but on this forum, are people who snub their noses at other peoples cars, whether it's the generation they own or the mods they have put on them.

There's way more snobbery here than at any show I've ever been to.

The day you can go to a show and enter it, and drive home happy without winning anything, is the day you can really enjoy the experience of talking to people at the shows.

I used to hate them, but I have come to appreciate them and those who go, enter, win, and lose.

It's all good. I have never won anything and never expect to because I'm not putting that kind of money and effort in a car I like to drive more than look at. But I like looking at the cars of those who do.
Old 07-27-2013, 09:12 PM
FourG63 97GST
Melting Slicks

Received 350 Likes on 191 Posts

I'm a mod guy who loves big HP and fast cars, waxing isn't for me, I'd rather drive the dirty car.
same here, I don't get "car shows guy" it's usually judge by someone with no credibility anyway. my car been dirty so long, my buddies had enough and detailed it for me in the middle of the night

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: *Car Shows......I don't get it???