Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

*Car Shows......I don't get it???

Old 07-26-2013, 08:33 PM
DevilDog II
Race Director

Received 888 Likes on 553 Posts
Oldtimer

I love big horsepower and keeping my car clean. I don't go to car shows because they're so cliquish and club members usually vote for one another. I really enjoy going to cruise nights and watching the reactions people have to my car.
Old 07-26-2013, 08:33 PM
Blitzkrieg
AKA "The CLOWN"
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Default *Car Shows......I don't get it???

I went to a car show with my boys this past weekend and people that know me were upset that I didn't enter my car. I told them I don't really care to win anything, I just do them once in awhile to help support a good cause.

Some people get really serious about Shows and feel that they have to win first place! I could care less, I just go to have a relaxing time with my kids and most of the time there is about a couple hundred bugs on the front bumper and windshield from spirited driving as you all call it.

I was just curious as to how many of the forum people get really serious about shows and have to win trophies and places?

I'm a mod guy who loves big HP and fast cars, waxing isn't for me, I'd rather drive the dirty car.

Last edited by Blitzkrieg; 07-26-2013 at 08:36 PM.
Old 07-26-2013, 08:37 PM
DevilDog II
Race Director

Oldtimer

Originally Posted by Blitzkrieg
I'm going to Superdawgs in Wheeling on Aug. 3rd for their Vette night cruise in, it would be cool to meet you and check out your car?
I'll probably be there if there aren't any clouds in the sky.
Old 07-26-2013, 08:39 PM
DevilDog II
Race Director

Oldtimer

I'm not quite sure why my posts are going to the top and not the bottom.
Old 07-26-2013, 08:52 PM
meflyfrc
Melting Slicks

Received 192 Likes on 79 Posts

Can't say I agree about driving the dirty car but completely agree about cars show. I typically go to a car shows for fun, relaxation and supporting a good cause.
Old 07-26-2013, 08:57 PM
MSG C5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,673 Likes on 1,479 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019
2018 C5 of Year Finalist

Car shows are a good excuse to detail your car. I once saw a guy at a show completely detail his black on black C6 Z06 after arriving at the show. It took him all morning before he sat down and enjoyed the show.

Only to go home empty because he wasn't wearing the right club polo shirt.
Old 07-26-2013, 08:57 PM
Blitzkrieg
AKA "The CLOWN"
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by meflyfrc
Can't say I agree about driving the dirty car but completely agree about cars show. I typically go to a car shows for fun, relaxation and supporting a good cause.
Let me re phrase a bit! My car is clean but it is not "Car Show Clean" I have 2 little tikes and don't have the time to clean it as some do. I just have the usual dirty butt and bugs on the front from expressway driving. It too damn hard to keep it spotless!
Old 07-26-2013, 09:00 PM
oldC5
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,223 Likes on 734 Posts

Originally Posted by Blitzkrieg
I went to a car show with my boys this past weekend and people that know me were upset that I didn't enter my car. I told them I don't really care to win anything, I just do them once in awhile to help support a good cause.

Some people get really serious about Shows and feel that they have to win first place! I could care less, I just go to have a relaxing time with my kids and most of the time there is about a couple hundred bugs on the front bumper and windshield from spirited driving as you all call it.

I was just curious as to how many of the forum people get really serious about shows and have to win trophies and places?

I'm a mod guy who loves big HP and fast cars, waxing isn't for me, I'd rather drive the dirty car.
I doubt that your car is ever dirty , I agree with you on car shows. I have entered three in my life time. Of course I won first in all three.
Old 07-26-2013, 09:00 PM
Blitzkrieg
AKA "The CLOWN"
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by MSG C5
Car shows are a good excuse to detail your car. I once saw a guy at a show completely detail his black on black C6 Z06 after arriving at the show. It took him all morning before he sat down and enjoyed the show.

Only to go home empty because he wasn't wearing the right club polo shirt.
When is your next Chicago Visit? You need a ride in a boosted Vette and I need that beer you promised!
Old 07-26-2013, 09:04 PM
Zr-1Mike00
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have owned the car for over a year now and I have yet to enter my car in a show... With that being said I attend many and keep my car spotless all the time. My neighbors must think I'm crazy but if there is a day between rain storms I will be out there washing it regardless.

Most car shows round here are club run and who usually wins regardless..... A former club member.
Old 07-26-2013, 09:05 PM
Blitzkrieg
AKA "The CLOWN"
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by DevilDog II
I love big horsepower and keeping my car clean. I don't go to car shows because they're so cliquish and club members usually vote for one another. I really enjoy going to cruise nights and watching the reactions people have to my car.
I'm going to Superdawgs in Wheeling on Aug. 3rd for their Vette night cruise in, it would be cool to meet you and check out your car?

How the heck are you the first post???
Old 07-26-2013, 09:07 PM
olbear1962
Safety Car

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

I go to enjoy the cars, meet owners and talk about their "prides and joy". I don't have the patience to sit all day in the sun, and certainly am not interested in the whole "trophy thing"
I learn so much and see so many creative ideas from many talented folks. Always find something new, and interesting.
Old 07-26-2013, 09:07 PM
pickleseimer
Drifting

Received 321 Likes on 212 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

I avoid shows except for one or two that support a cause I'm interested in (Shriner's Hospital and local law enforcement benefits).

I usually pay the donation, look around for an hour or two and then leave. Not interested in judging and don't fill out and display the car placards. I do make the sure the car is clean. Don't understand these guys who park, set up a chair or tent, and sit by their car all day long - most of them have a look on their face like "I dare you to get too close to the car". There may be a few good guys who will say hello and engage you in conversation but not the majority. There is a very clear line between the guys who have built or significantly restored their car vs those who 'wrote a check' - I've been on both sides of that one.

I enjoy the cruise-ins much more. Come and go, see yout friends, find a shady spot and relax, no rules. We have one in our area on Sunday nights that is on a lake in Berea, we set up a couple chairs near the water for a while and listen to the music, walk around and see what's new, buy a few 50/50 tickets, have a bite to eat and leave.
Old 07-26-2013, 09:08 PM
NHolds
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I only go to car shows to see the other cars. It's nice when someone says something nice about one of my cars, but I don't sit there waiting for people to compliment it. I never go anywhere near my car actually.
Old 07-26-2013, 09:08 PM
Zr-1Mike00
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by olbear1962
I go to enjoy the cars, meet owners and talk about their "prides and joy". I don't have the patience to sit all day in the sun, and certainly am not interested in the whole "trophy thing"
I learn so much and see so many creative ideas from many talented folks. Always find something new, and interesting.
Right on!
Old 07-26-2013, 09:12 PM
Blitzkrieg
AKA "The CLOWN"
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by DevilDog II
I'm not quite sure why my posts are going to the top and not the bottom.
WTF??? You must be special or something to be at the top of the list!

I'm a Devil Dog as well! 93-97! Semper Fi Brother!
Old 07-26-2013, 09:13 PM
MongoZ06
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I agree that most of the shows are fixed and friends vote for friends just so they can win, I know of some local guys who have done it at plenty of shows. When I used to be a "waxer" I would say it was a pride thing, I was proud to own my Corvette and wanted to keep it in top condition since I worked hard to get it. Aside from that a lot of guys I used to street race with would be at the shows and we could chat for a bit. Now I do more track events and notice kinda the same thing going on with cliques at these events so it's something that is just part of the car community.

Get notified of new replies

To *Car Shows......I don't get it???

Old 07-26-2013, 09:20 PM
kabluie
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

I enjoy the cars at car shows, but I'm totally uninterested in the trophy thing.
Old 07-26-2013, 09:24 PM
zipity
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 668 Likes on 290 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Since you asked I will chime in. This is not my personal opinion, but rather an answer to your question as to why folks attend car shows. I run three large scale Corvette shows locally and I am involved with many others.

My first comment is, if you find or are attending car shows where the members are entering and judging their own Club cars; then quite frankly I would find a different car show to attend.
None of the shows I am involved with are any Club cars eligible to win a trophy, let alone judge another Club members car. That's just like when Congress votes to give themselves a raise every year while raising taxes. When my Club hosts the show we park our cars in a separate Club Area away from the folks who have entered the show.

People's Choice Shows are a tough one to call. Because let's say a car club shows up to the show with 20 cars and decide that today we are all going to vote for "Johnny's Car" and stuff the ballot box. The only way around this is to set up the voting system to not allow car club members to vote for other club members. It's a lot of work but most don't take the time to figure out how to do it. I tend to avoid People Choice shows, unless the show is tied to a charity I like.

And to answer the question why do people attend and wax within an inch of the clear coat.....well for the same reason folks drag race, road race, etc; it's a form of competition for them. Especially if that someone is retired and doesn't want to or physically can't drag race or doesn't have the family obligation, or the fact that it might be their escape for a Saturday afternoon. It's kinda the same reason folks like to walk along green grass and hit a little white ball over and over again. That's something I don't get, but I understand why some folks love it, it's just not for me though.

As they say to each their own. And I recommend staying away for club voting shows when the club cars are eligible to win.

No matter how you enjoy your Corvette, get out and enjoy it!!
Old 07-26-2013, 09:25 PM
Maxx_Z06
Safety Car

Received 277 Likes on 85 Posts
C5 COTM Coordinator

I attend the shows but hardly actually enter my car. If I have to pay the fee to park with the other cars then that's fine with me. I mainly go to see all the nice cars and meet new people. There's always something different.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: *Car Shows......I don't get it???