Sponsored by:

Tire Shop Equipment & Procedures

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2013, 12:11 PM
carbdude
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Tire Shop Equipment & Procedures

Since the wheels on these C5's have such a deep back space...
and ours are chromed as well....

I'm looking for some advice &/or experiences on what to look for at my local tire shops in the way of proper equipment and procedures in changing out all 4 tires.

also Would you trust a sams club or costco to do these properly?

Thank You
Old 08-03-2013, 12:23 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,839 Likes on 1,800 Posts

Look for plastic coated equipment and tools, and no, don't go to a Costco or Sam's. Discount Tire has some locations that are properly equipped as are many Chevy dealerships.

Also, call ahead and make sure to ask a manager if they are properly equipped to handle wheels that can cost up to $1000 each to replace.

Then stand there and watch their every move as they're removing the old tires and mounting the new.

Last edited by Corvette_Ed; 08-03-2013 at 12:25 PM.
Old 08-03-2013, 12:26 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,226 Likes on 13,933 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

I agree. And for sure check how they treat the first wheel - if they put a mark on it, expect the rest to be done the same way. Also check to see if they cover damaged wheels by their techs.
Old 08-03-2013, 06:31 PM
MS04Cpe
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tire Kingdom

I use the Tire Kingdom in my area for all of my cars tire needs. Just had some Michelins put on my 04 Coupe. No problems or issues. They even removed the Roof Panel before they lifted the car and I watched as they lifted it in the right locations. The tech took his time and was very careful with the handling, mounting, balancing, and subsequent alignment. I have been using this location for about 12 years. The Manager is a retired military guy and he takes care of us fellow Veterans.

Wayne

Last edited by MS04Cpe; 08-03-2013 at 06:33 PM.
Old 08-03-2013, 08:46 PM
torchredmadness
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I went to America's Tire in Concord California. They were very knowledgable and handled my car with kid gloves. I expect to go there again when it's time for new tires.
Old 08-03-2013, 10:09 PM
PhysicsDude55
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I've always had a good experience with Discount Tire. All they do is tires, so they have all the specialty equipment. Shops like Goodyear and Firestone also do tires, but not nearly the scale that Discount Tire does, so I don't always trust them as much with specialty type applications.

Whenever I go to Discount Tire I see quite a few lowered sports cars and lifted trucks, not to mention whenever I call around, Discount Tire is almost always the lowest installed price.
Old 08-04-2013, 05:33 AM
Camjamsdad
Melting Slicks

Location: It's true money can't buy happiness, but it is more comfortable crying in a Corvette than on a bicyc
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

I watched a guy at tire kingdom here struggle on my right rear. When he went to balance it he was nice enough to point out the bent wheel. The left didn't fight him and also didn't wiggle on the balancer. I can't prove the struggle resulted in the bent rim but in my mind I can't rule it out.

So my advice is have them spin each wheel before they break it down. I explain why. I tell them its for their own protection as well as mine, and offer extra $ to do it. They think I'm a dick probably but I have an expensive bent wheel that made me the dick I am.
Old 08-04-2013, 02:52 PM
carbdude
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Camjamsdad
my advice is have them spin each wheel before they break it down. I explain why. I tell them its for their own protection as well as mine, and offer extra $ to do it. They think I'm a dick probably but I have an expensive bent wheel that made me the dick I am.
I like this idea a lot!!
Old 08-04-2013, 03:16 PM
Lee DeRaud
Melting Slicks

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by MS04Cpe
They even removed the Roof Panel before they lifted the car...
Ok, I'll bite: why?
Old 08-04-2013, 07:27 PM
Camjamsdad
Melting Slicks

Location: It's true money can't buy happiness, but it is more comfortable crying in a Corvette than on a bicyc
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by Lee DeRaud
Ok, I'll bite: why?
Body flex when jacking the car up. Older the tops used to pop but I think it is a vette myth on a c5 but safer than sorry I guess
Old 08-04-2013, 08:14 PM
Lee DeRaud
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Camjamsdad
Body flex when jacking the car up. Older the tops used to pop but I think it is a vette myth on a c5 but safer than sorry I guess
If the body flexes that much during jacking, you've got a lot worse things to worry about than the top coming off.
Old 08-04-2013, 10:07 PM
jcgunn
Melting Slicks

Received 277 Likes on 184 Posts

Every time I go to a new tire shop, (I have lived in ID, VA, NC and back to ID since taking delivery on my 2003) I look the manager in the eye and say "Do you do Corvettes?" Only one failed the test (the AAFES exchange on the Airbase, who wanted me to sign a damage waiver). The rest have been great, currently use Big-O in Eagle, ID. They also don't have a problem with mounting tires from Tirerack or TPMS from Gene.
Old 08-04-2013, 10:08 PM
FNFastZ06
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If the body flexes that much during jacking, you've got a lot worse things to worry about than the top coming off.
This is probably from the C4 days. My '96 flexed like a ****. I jacked it up without the roof panel on, driver's door wasn't closed all the way. Tried to close it, no go. Lowered it, closed fine. Then jacked it back up. Manual even stated not to drive it hard with the top removed.
Old 08-04-2013, 11:48 PM
Lee DeRaud
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by FNFastZ06
This is probably from the C4 days. My '96 flexed like a ****. I jacked it up without the roof panel on, driver's door wasn't closed all the way. Tried to close it, no go. Lowered it, closed fine. Then jacked it back up. Manual even stated not to drive it hard with the top removed.
Wow. Just...wow.
Old 08-05-2013, 08:29 AM
FNFastZ06
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow. Just...wow.
There were even some aftermarket x braces sold.

Old 08-05-2013, 01:35 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,839 Likes on 1,800 Posts

Originally Posted by jcgunn
Every time I go to a new tire shop, (I have lived in ID, VA, NC and back to ID since taking delivery on my 2003) I look the manager in the eye and say "Do you do Corvettes?" Only one failed the test (the AAFES exchange on the Airbase, who wanted me to sign a damage waiver). The rest have been great, currently use Big-O in Eagle, ID. They also don't have a problem with mounting tires from Tirerack or TPMS from Gene.
I had a very good experience with the Big O Tires in Queens Creek, AZ. They're the ones who discovered one of my front wheels was slightly bent and was the cause of the shaking I was feeling in my steering wheel.

The dealer in TX who originally mounted the tires sent me on my way with what they said were balanced wheels knowing that I was leaving the next day for AZ. My car shook the entire trip out there.
Old 08-05-2013, 01:55 PM
C5Txfan
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I was impressed with Discount Tire I went to for mine. They were very careful to open the doors before raising it and were careful with the wheels dismounting and mounting - they knew about the TPMS and didn't want to buy new ones !

Get notified of new replies

To Tire Shop Equipment & Procedures

Quick Reply: Tire Shop Equipment & Procedures