Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"Agreed Upon" Insurance Value...Who has it?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2013, 09:00 AM
JaxEagle
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Camjamsdad
When I researched it ncm was the least restrictive. The hardest one for some is it can't be your primary driver. You have to provide your declarations page for your daily driver.
Hagerty blew me off bc my daily driver is a meticulously maintained 2006 vehicle. They said my DD has to be a 2009 or newer. I asked why and they got snippy.
Old 10-26-2013, 12:22 PM
'Shifter
Thoroughly chapped
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 409 Likes on 327 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17
NCM Member '09

I have it, but I'll be damned if I can remember the name of the company....I'm limited to 3k/yr...free glass coverage, and they actually suggested that I get OEM glass, which I found out later was no longer available...
Old 10-27-2013, 04:56 AM
chad3113
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Adam Boca
Give us a call, would love to chat with you! Determining value is really simple. As long as we are within market value then we are good.

Our restrictions are a lot less than any other collector car company out there. Like everyone else, we don't insure errands. We have a work endorsement that allows the occasional work usage (up to 2 times per week).
My car is kept in a garage, and its not my DD, but I think "errands" is what would kill it for me. I guess it would depend on how "errands" are determined. If I take my car out for a drive, pick up food on the way home and get hit coming out of say Wendy's parking lot, would that be deemed and "errand"?

What if its a nice day and I want to drive the car to the gym, friends house, or stop at Autozone? If in those situations I wouldn't be covered, then this type of insurance wouldn't work out for me.

Last edited by chad3113; 10-27-2013 at 05:19 AM.
Old 10-27-2013, 07:50 AM
Blow Torch
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by chad3113
Hmm interesting, it seems I'm right on that cusp of 3-4k miles per year. I guess I'll do some researching in Hagertys, from what I understand NCM has a lot of restrictions on where/when you can drive.
I'm another fan of Adam at NCM. I got the 6000 mile, $500 deductible and mine is VERY low (approx. 1/2 what a lot of these guys are posting) but I may switch to the 3000mile for next year because mine is a pure clear weather weekend car.
Old 10-27-2013, 09:31 AM
Fcar 98
Melting Slicks

Received 892 Likes on 466 Posts

Im with chubb, agreed value on 5 cars. with the corvette no restrictions no deductible no daily driver. must have garage. around 550 a year. I can travel with the car a lot of other companies do not like travel with the car like going on vacation. I have been very pleased with this company. I have filled claims on the family cars with no problems.
Old 10-27-2013, 09:40 AM
sfc rick
Le Mans Master

Received 150 Likes on 79 Posts

Safeco here, garage a must, DD is OK, $1000 deductible, had to take car to agent and document all mods and photos. I wanted no restrictions on how much I drove it, it is mine afterall.

$30,000 value.

And we all know that's no where near what it cost to replace.
Old 10-27-2013, 04:16 PM
madmatt9471
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Palmdale, Ca----- 2009 Cyber Gray 4LT A6 F55 452 RWHP 422 RWTQ- RIP 1998 C5 734 RWHP & 585 RWTQ-----
Received 341 Likes on 281 Posts

They wont do an Agreed Upon Value - even Triple A wont -

I have mine through NCM, speak with Adam Bocca and he will get you set-up - many different levels to choose from.

And "IF" you have mods then you need to get it sooner rather than later!

Thanks,Matt
Old 10-28-2013, 11:48 PM
mpv96
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Those of you that have insurance through NCM, have you had any claims? How has that gone? The reason I ask is that in my research I see the NCM is underwritten by American Modern and from what I've seen Am Modern may not be the best.

Just asking and hoping NCM may have a different deal. I have 4 vehicles I'm looking insure on 1972 Chevy Nova SS, 1996 CE Vette, 2005 XL and 2009 XLR. I currently have agreed value on the 1972 an 1996 but my current company won't give me a break on the XLR's because they are too new even though they are not driven.

Thanks.
Old 10-29-2013, 09:02 PM
Adam Boca
Race Director

Location: www.ncminsurance.com Bowling Green KY Home of the Corvette!
Received 126 Likes on 66 Posts
CI 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10-11-12 Vet
St. Jude Donor '07-'08
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by mpv96
Those of you that have insurance through NCM, have you had any claims? How has that gone? The reason I ask is that in my research I see the NCM is underwritten by American Modern and from what I've seen Am Modern may not be the best.

Just asking and hoping NCM may have a different deal. I have 4 vehicles I'm looking insure on 1972 Chevy Nova SS, 1996 CE Vette, 2005 XL and 2009 XLR. I currently have agreed value on the 1972 an 1996 but my current company won't give me a break on the XLR's because they are too new even though they are not driven.

Thanks.
American Modern deals with several types of products (Vacant Dwellings, Mobile Homes, Collector Vehicles, etc). Their claims record with collector vehicles is great.

Unfortunatly, the other products they sell dont have the same clientel as CV does, and typically those that complain dont have the results that they envision.

I would love to point you to some posts we have done:

Claims Survey from folks who have had claims with us.
http://www.ncminsurance.com/our-coll...rformance.html

Wildfire distroys two Vettes:
http://www.ncminsurance.com/wildfire...s-handled.html

Find some additional claims experience here:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c1-a...-you-sick.html

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-g...insurance.html

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/1584162031-post25.html

Being that we are at the National Corvette Museum, owned by and operated by the museum, we have a major reputation to uphold. We wouldnt choose a sub-par company to use. My reputation and the museums is worth much more than that.

Adam
Old 10-29-2013, 09:04 PM
andrec10
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by pickleseimer
I have 4 cars with an agreed value policy, each 3000 miles/yr, none can be a DD, underwritten by American Modern through an agent in the Northeast. I simply tell him what I want the value to be, and that's what shows up in the policy. I would think that the insurance company would object if the requested value was too far out of line.
I use the same People. Easy to deal with and is underwritten by AMI.
Old 10-29-2013, 09:06 PM
Adam Boca
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '07-'08
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by chad3113
My car is kept in a garage, and its not my DD, but I think "errands" is what would kill it for me. I guess it would depend on how "errands" are determined. If I take my car out for a drive, pick up food on the way home and get hit coming out of say Wendy's parking lot, would that be deemed and "errand"?

What if its a nice day and I want to drive the car to the gym, friends house, or stop at Autozone? If in those situations I wouldn't be covered, then this type of insurance wouldn't work out for me.
Couple items I will make very clear:
  • Collector Car Insurance isnt for everyone.
  • Standard Auto Insurance isnt for Collector Cars

Picking up food on the way back home is fine. Going to the gym is not. Friends house is great and a stop at autozone is fine.

Old 10-29-2013, 11:24 PM
Choreo
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 303 Likes on 220 Posts

Definitely an interesting category of insurance.

I may look at it when I retire my C5 as a DD someday. Not sure if I would be able to prove that I was just wandering around the streets 3,000 miles per year with no focus. Sounds like I could do just about anything on the way back home as long as I could prove I was headed nowhere in the first place!

I drive my C5 4,000 miles per year every day for the past 13 years (yes, every day to the gym). I have over 1-Million miles racked up on Corvettes the past 35 years and never put a scratch on one or filed an accident claim, yet I am getting killed on regular auto insurance premiums now. I have a $10,000 add-on rider with Farmers (the max they allow here) mainly just so they will think twice about totaling the car for paint damage or something cosmetic.

Personally I would be far more apprehensive about insuring an "occasional" Corvette driver than a daily driver. I know the when I rent an SUV or another car for a couple days I am really somewhat disoriented when I get back in the Corvette for the first few miles. As it is now, I pretty much "wear" my C5 everyday and that familiarity has kept me from many close calls becoming disasters. Not sure why it matters as to "intent" when driving 3,000 miles per year? Same amount of time on the same streets with the same exposure? As far as the gym, I can and do watch my car through the window throughout every workout (or I would not drive the C5); however, I would never park my car at a movie theater or mall - almost guaranteed vandalism. I can't count how many posts I have seen where a Corvette was backed into at a friend's house (usually a drunken party).

Definitely a Bizzaro world. It is almost like a survey was done showing that most people were wearing black pants when involved in a wreck, so now they only insure people when wearing another color of trousers.
Old 10-30-2013, 08:33 AM
rkhegler
Team Owner

Received 350 Likes on 152 Posts

I contacted NCM insurance Agency and they were very helpful.

However, after review their policy, here is a statement that causes me some some concern.

"Not anyone's principal means of transportation. This means that their primary purpose is not for general transportation including regular driving to work and/or school, errands or shopping."

The word "regular" in this context would mean to me that you could not drive your Vette on a daily basis. I get that. However, if one makes an occasional trip to the barber, pharmacy, or golf course, is that not acceptable? I would not interpret those to be "regular daily driving." Apparently, from my conversation with the NCM office, this is not the case.

I do not, by any stretch of the imagination, use my Vette as a daily driver. However, I do like to take it for a spin once in a while. Consequently, at this point, unless there is some resolve to this "fine print interpretation" I do not think I can justify the terms of the policy.

Just my opinion.

I have responded via email to NCM to clarify this issue. Hopefully, there will be some clarity.
Old 10-30-2013, 09:06 AM
CactusCat
Melting Slicks

Received 209 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by rkhegler

However, after review their policy, here is a statement that causes me some some concern.

"Not anyone's principal means of transportation. This means that their primary purpose is not for general transportation including regular driving to work and/or school, errands or shopping."

The word "regular" in this context would mean to me that you could not drive your Vette on a daily basis. I get that. However, if one makes an occasional trip to the barber, pharmacy, or golf course, is that not acceptable? I would not interpret those to be "regular daily driving." Apparently, from my conversation with the NCM office, this is not the case.

I do not, by any stretch of the imagination, use my Vette as a daily driver. However, I do like to take it for a spin once in a while. Consequently, at this point, unless there is some resolve to this "fine print interpretation" I do not think I can justify the terms of the policy.

Just my opinion.

I have responded via email to NCM to clarify this issue. Hopefully, there will be some clarity.
That's their legaleze talk for "not your Daily Driver".... occasional pleasure drives are perfectly acceptable.
Old 10-30-2013, 09:26 AM
Adam Boca
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '07-'08
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by rkhegler

Just my opinion.

Thanks for the email, and I have replied.

Couple items that you didn't mention in your email to me were barber, pharmacy, or golf course.

These are considered errands. We can not and will not insure folks who use their vehicle in these conditions.

I am not afraid to say that we are not for everyone. If you use your Corvette in these situations that great, but not for our coverage.

Up until a couple years ago I had 2 Vettes, a 69 Vert and a 2000 DBGM Coupe. No problem insuring the 69 Corvette, but the 2000 there was no way I could insure even myself.

We are in the business to provide the best protection for vehicles used in limited use/limited risk situations. We are not in the business to deny claims. We want customers for a long time, and we want this to be a viable income for the National Corvette Museum.

If you don't fit the program, no big deal.

Adam
Old 10-30-2013, 11:21 AM
24695bob
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I used American Collectors for years (decades +) until bout 3 years ago when I switched to NCM...Adam at the time could not write the policy as he was not licensed in Maryland..but he handed me off to another agent that did the deed...

Now I had FANTASTIC service with American Collectors with the only and only claim I ever had BUT since I own and insure 6 Corvettes the "cost" thru the museum was to say the least quite substantial .

I do have a $250 dollar deductible now instead of a zero deductible that I never with American Collectors BUT I can live with that ...

3 of my cars are insured for 1000 miles a year and 3 are insured for 3000 miles a year... I plan on reducing 2 of those back to 1000 miles next month when my policy renews ...it is hard for me to believe but I just do not have the time to drive 3000 miles in all 6 cars every year ...and I'm retired...!!!!

Bob G.
Old 10-30-2013, 03:34 PM
rkhegler
Team Owner

Received 350 Likes on 152 Posts

I received an email from NCM with a reply to my question regarding "regular" driving. This was their response.

"We insure vehicles used for the following purposes: Car Shows, Club Events, Parades and the Occasional Pleasure Use.

We do not insure vehicles that are daily use vehicles or vehicles used in a manner by which would be considered errands or daily use type driving. So grocery stores, shopping malls, gym, golf course, etc would be considered errands.

This is one of the items that separates collector vehicle insurance from standard auto insurance. You will not find a collector car provider that will bend that rule."

Consequently, I have decided not to take the coverage under those conditions.

NCM was extremely cordial with their replies to my inquiry. I believe they have a good product, just not something I can utilize at this time. For those of you who do fit their criteria, I think their coverage is good.

Get notified of new replies

To "Agreed Upon" Insurance Value...Who has it?

Old 10-30-2013, 09:08 PM
mpv96
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Adam Boca
Being that we are at the National Corvette Museum, owned by and operated by the museum, we have a major reputation to uphold. We wouldnt choose a sub-par company to use. My reputation and the museums is worth much more than that.
Adam
Thanks Adam for the clarification. Now it seems that everyone is hung up on that daily use clause. As I read it as long as you are IN the car or at or on the way to or from one of the functions mentioned you're covered. But if you leave it unattended in a parking lot ANYWHERE you're not. Does that about cover it?

Just a couple more questions: What about out of town Shows? The XLR reunion is rumored to be in Montana, a couple of thousand miles away and we'd be driving one of the cars.

What about the occasional out of town overnight trip for pleasure, no show involved?

Thanks again for your help.

Mark
Old 10-30-2013, 09:37 PM
Silverbullet00
Race Director

Location: Norman Oklahoma - The Only State in the Union with no Blue Counties!
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Anyone know an insurance carrier that covers you at the drag strip?
Old 11-03-2013, 08:02 PM
chad3113
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What the hell do people do with forged/stroked motors, built drivetrains, etc? If you have a high mileage vehicle that's been repainted/rebuilt sitting on CCW's, what would be the best course of action when it comes to protecting your investment?

Quick Reply: "Agreed Upon" Insurance Value...Who has it?