Race Director

Received 2,839 Likes on 1,800 Posts

Old 10-04-2013, 01:24 PM
tbrent
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts
2018 C5 of Year Winner

This is kewl to see. You have nice vision. Sure you will get some typical responses but it seems so far all appreciate you sharing your unique whip

I think since you are wanting some functionality with the rear down force. If you can dump the rear wing up top and just rock a proper rear wing like this.

Name:  snitz.jpg
Views: 1228
Size:  114.6 KB
Name:  snitz2.jpg
Views: 1930
Size:  225.9 KB

Excited to see your project and thanks for sharing
Old 10-04-2013, 01:34 PM
Suthunman
Safety Car

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Old 10-04-2013, 02:53 PM
*LSJUAN*
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interesting
Old 10-05-2013, 01:34 AM
9KJoey
Instructor

Removed the door handles and started to brainstorm how I will re-route the new setup.

I picked up a set of miata n/a door handles to replace them with. The miata handles are sleek and will give it a very clean updated look pending mounting options and powdercoat.

I will try to retrofit the locks to work, but if its too much work then I will just use an alarm setting that will open the door. Some filler or a hole cover should clean it up. Maybe even just chop off the extra piece and round it out. So many options at this moment.

I am always up for suggestions as well. Please share your insight because I will definitely put it to mind.

Thanks .

Last edited by 9KJoey; 10-05-2013 at 01:39 AM.
Old 10-05-2013, 10:50 AM
cdnguyred88
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Keep us posted and great work so far.
Old 10-05-2013, 11:12 AM
Mattie Num Nums
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Interesting build. Might be a bit to Frankenstein for me.
Old 10-05-2013, 01:40 PM
RC000E
Le Mans Master

Received 346 Likes on 208 Posts

NOOOO on the miata handles...hell no...

You didn't execute some things like I thought you would but...still interested in the final product. There was a Corvette kit at SEMA in 2011 that used the Celica headlights...the lines of the headlight just too heavily conflict with the lines of the C6 front bumper imo.

Most of the build will come down to your stance and fitment...and wheel selection. I'm in to see where you go there. I thought you might go mounted flair (i.e. rocket bunny style) not molded. The mounted/riveted non molded style is just more Japanese/Rauh-Welt to me...I just like it.

Interesting build though...keep it goin. And once again...please don't do the miata handles. Do some handles...just not miata handles...lol...
Old 10-05-2013, 04:13 PM
9KJoey
Instructor

I don't want the car to look like a rwb car or rocket bunny. I am pulling ideas from them, but I do not want to just be another imitator.

Our group initially wanted rivet marks and hardware, but that idea left once we started brainstorming the render.

The panels are being replicated by another motorsports company right now. They will be using them as their own mold while I get a kick back contract and 3 sets for free. Just in case I blow one up at the track or doing whatever. I will always have spares.

On top of that its very easy to remove the panels as is. Most cars that mold their widebody in are pretty much ****ed during a wall tap since they are one piece and made with the chassis. Since the vette had independent panels. I felt it wasn't necessary to do rivets.

Porsche, lambos, etc. all have a quarter panel that is unified with the chassis.

As for the miata door handles, I have found out how I would mount them. I will be mounting them similiar to a Lamborghini. Flush mounted to flat surface of the exterior door. It gives access to the locking mechanism below, adds a sleek look to it. I will also be powder coating them black to make it more incognito.

I paid a total of 40 dollars for both handles delivered to me. All other stylish handles are at least 600+ which I thought wasn't worth it at all.

Will be mounted similiar to this. I might even remove the key hole to make it smaller.

As for the front bumper, I will be creating my own hood lines and then smoothing out the bumper line to match.

I am taking notes from the sorcery nsx on how to do so. They pulled this headlights off perfectly and if you can look at the smallest details. You can see exactly how they did it. I have studied this photo and car for hours on end to understand the concept of celica headlight flowing with a body panel.

We can only see what happens once its finished since its only 40% complete.

*Spoiler* New sideskirts were ordered from an NSX.

As far as fitment and stance. I will be sticking with 18"s all around. I just hate tire cost for 19's and 18's are more functional.

I will be going full concave as possible. We have been speaking with a custom wheel manufacturer about creating us a 18x12 and 18x14 wheel that has over 5 inches of a super concave face. The only downside is offset options so we have to play around with sizing. Maybe turn the 14 into a 12.5 with a lower offset. Its still in the air.

It will be something similiar to this with a meaty tire and slammed to the floor.

This but a bit lower.

Last edited by 9KJoey; 10-05-2013 at 04:29 PM.
Old 10-05-2013, 05:20 PM
jfaxas
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Very cool. Cant wait to see more
Old 10-05-2013, 09:19 PM
95wht6spd
Le Mans Master

Received 271 Likes on 211 Posts

I like the window wing in the drawing, not sure in reality until I see it finished
Old 10-05-2013, 09:40 PM
11Series
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

I really like what you did with the Celica headlights. Can't wait to see pics of this car when you are finished.
Old 10-05-2013, 10:53 PM
Raiku898
Pro

Great progress. I can't say that I agree with all of your choices by basic description, but I'm super excited to see how it all ties together. Props to you for all of your hard work!
Old 10-05-2013, 10:57 PM
209TIME!!!
Melting Slicks

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

nice work...
Old 10-06-2013, 02:03 AM
RC000E
Le Mans Master

Received 346 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by Joey@9KRacing.com
I don't want the car to look like a rwb car or rocket bunny. I am pulling ideas from them, but I do not want to just be another imitator.

Our group initially wanted rivet marks and hardware, but that idea left once we started brainstorming the render.

The panels are being replicated by another motorsports company right now. They will be using them as their own mold while I get a kick back contract and 3 sets for free. Just in case I blow one up at the track or doing whatever. I will always have spares.

On top of that its very easy to remove the panels as is. Most cars that mold their widebody in are pretty much ****ed during a wall tap since they are one piece and made with the chassis. Since the vette had independent panels. I felt it wasn't necessary to do rivets.

Porsche, lambos, etc. all have a quarter panel that is unified with the chassis.

As for the miata door handles, I have found out how I would mount them. I will be mounting them similiar to a Lamborghini. Flush mounted to flat surface of the exterior door. It gives access to the locking mechanism below, adds a sleek look to it. I will also be powder coating them black to make it more incognito.

I paid a total of 40 dollars for both handles delivered to me. All other stylish handles are at least 600+ which I thought wasn't worth it at all.

Will be mounted similiar to this. I might even remove the key hole to make it smaller.

As for the front bumper, I will be creating my own hood lines and then smoothing out the bumper line to match.

I am taking notes from the sorcery nsx on how to do so. They pulled this headlights off perfectly and if you can look at the smallest details. You can see exactly how they did it. I have studied this photo and car for hours on end to understand the concept of celica headlight flowing with a body panel.

We can only see what happens once its finished since its only 40% complete.

*Spoiler* New sideskirts were ordered from an NSX.

As far as fitment and stance. I will be sticking with 18"s all around. I just hate tire cost for 19's and 18's are more functional.

I will be going full concave as possible. We have been speaking with a custom wheel manufacturer about creating us a 18x12 and 18x14 wheel that has over 5 inches of a super concave face. The only downside is offset options so we have to play around with sizing. Maybe turn the 14 into a 12.5 with a lower offset. Its still in the air.

It will be something similiar to this with a meaty tire and slammed to the floor.

This but a bit lower.
Nice response dude...I like where your heads at...

I'm doing a project soon...its crazy the similarity of mindset...I was like WTF when I opened this page. Overall though, this is what's needed. We need more young minded builders and guys doing things more trending with these cars to break this stigma of the Corvette as a retirement community. It won't happen in any short term, but I'd love to see more guys modding C5's with, dare I say, Japanese influence. It really comes down to the aftermarket to make it happen though. The more the merrier.

I'll be watching man...looking forward to progress and the finish product.
Old 10-06-2013, 10:09 AM
Mitch.Shea
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

subscribed, you sure you dont want to swap the miata motor in the vette?

jk, i would look at parts from the other side of the ocean.
Old 10-06-2013, 12:40 PM
Chicago1
Race Director

Received 321 Likes on 208 Posts

cool thread!!

Get notified of new replies

To 9K Racing C5.6 CeliVette Frankenstein Build

Old 10-06-2013, 01:09 PM
slocobra
Advanced

Pretty cool! I actually enjoyed reading this because on the first post I thought "what a jack *** ricer" and now seeing the craftsmanship you are capable of I cant help but appreciate every part of the build. being a fabricator and car builder myself, it really does not matter If I love or hate what you modified I cant help but give you 1000 props for the work and planning/thought process involved. Nice job!
Old 10-06-2013, 03:05 PM
spiral04
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by slocobra
Pretty cool! I actually enjoyed reading this because on the first post I thought "what a jack *** ricer" and now seeing the craftsmanship you are capable of I cant help but appreciate every part of the build. being a fabricator and car builder myself, it really does not matter If I love or hate what you modified I cant help but give you 1000 props for the work and planning/thought process involved. Nice job!
I agree. Can't wait to see the final build
Old 10-06-2013, 03:08 PM
calivette805
Burning Brakes

Received 31 Likes on 16 Posts

Keep the pics coming

Quick Reply: 9K Racing C5.6 CeliVette Frankenstein Build