damilleniumboy
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Mmm, posted.
Old 10-10-2013, 08:28 PM
chad3113
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Interesting, I'm liking your ingenuity. Seeing that last pic though, the front bumper might look too squared off for the headlights... We shall see
Old 10-10-2013, 08:56 PM
RC000E
Le Mans Master

Received 346 Likes on 208 Posts

Did you actually lay templates of the lights on the car to see where the shape looked best or just cut to line up the outer edge? I have a feeling thay look to close together and take away from the perception of width. We'll see...

Keep workin...

You gonba be at SEMA for anything?
Old 10-10-2013, 08:58 PM
9KJoey
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

3 of our cars will be in the show. I had hopes of this going up, but I feel its not good enough. I will probably be driving around vegas in it tho. Doing random burn outs and revving at hoochie mommas.
Old 10-11-2013, 02:10 AM
RC000E
Le Mans Master

Received 346 Likes on 208 Posts

Going up as in outside? Located where?
Old 10-11-2013, 02:29 AM
jdmvette
Night Owl for life
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,247 Likes on 1,668 Posts

that's one wild build.
Old 10-11-2013, 04:00 PM
9KJoey
Instructor

Smoothing out the rough edges and need to plan on how to fabricate the brackets to hold the headlights firm. You can see the areas I had to cut in order to fit them. I will be boxing the open portions up and then adding gussets for flare/support. While my frame is open up I can also throw some anti rust coating inside of it so this thing will hold true if it ever survives a few more decades.
Old 10-11-2013, 10:08 PM
_zebra
Le Mans Master

Received 809 Likes on 533 Posts

in for updates
Old 10-12-2013, 11:47 AM
wamara
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Do you have any concerns where you are cutting body panels, then adding body surface material, that the seam between the OEM body material and your added material will eventually crack? Not necessarily a structural failure, but enough that it may telegraph through your paint finish? I know that used to be a concern with fiberglass add-ons (scoops, etc.); maybe with today's composites and modern glues and fillers that's not a concern ?? Curious minds want to know
Old 10-12-2013, 01:52 PM
BABYBUGY
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Old 10-12-2013, 06:09 PM
TriplBlk
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Old 10-13-2013, 12:53 PM
imgn tht
Melting Slicks

Received 158 Likes on 131 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13, '15

Originally Posted by chad3113
Seeing that last pic though, the front bumper might look too squared off for the headlights...
Originally Posted by RC000E
Did you actually lay templates of the lights on the car to see where the shape looked best or just cut to line up the outer edge? I have a feeling thay look to close together and take away from the perception of width.
Exactly the two things I was thinking as I reviewed the pictures. Especially after seeing that red 'Vette and where his lights lined up with the hood line. Different lights I know, but they do seem to close to each other.
Old 10-13-2013, 01:16 PM
MawneeC5
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

^ Might have avoided some/all the cutting on the crash bar too.
Old 10-13-2013, 01:34 PM
Mattie Num Nums
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

This is kinda cool but a little too busy. The initial renderings look like an NSX also.
Old 10-13-2013, 01:35 PM
wlean99
Melting Slicks

St Jude Donor '14

WoW! You have no fear in chopping up that vette. I Am a retired professional collision expert, but never did anything so extreme...looking foward to seeing finished product.How did you get such mad skills at such a young age?
Old 10-13-2013, 04:27 PM
02z06dave
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Pretty cool project. Definitely some things I dont personally care for, but overall, I like it.
Old 10-14-2013, 02:46 PM
9KJoey
Instructor

Originally Posted by wlean99
WoW! You have no fear in chopping up that vette. I Am a retired professional collision expert, but never did anything so extreme...looking foward to seeing finished product.How did you get such mad skills at such a young age?
I learned my skills by doing it, watching the pros, having mentors, researching, and trying to do new things. I also work with a team so we put all of our skills together. I have a older retired nascar aero designer who works with me at the shop. He teaches me about everything and helps me with anything we can't do by ourselves.

I am at master technician skill levels at the age of 23, but I can't be a master at everything car related due to my young age. I try to focus on my strong points and use my team members as tools. Each person in my shop brings something to the table I can't. I learn by doing projects and pushing new things. Hopefully I become one of the best car builders in America by my mid 30's. Only time can tell.

Originally Posted by imgn tht
Exactly the two things I was thinking as I reviewed the pictures. Especially after seeing that red 'Vette and where his lights lined up with the hood line. Different lights I know, but they do seem to close to each other.
I will be completely rounding off my front bumper and adding a new hood line to compensate. I prefer having them mounted up close as possible. I tried avoiding the look of the red one just off of preference. I want aggressiveness in a car.

Originally Posted by wamara
Do you have any concerns where you are cutting body panels, then adding body surface material, that the seam between the OEM body material and your added material will eventually crack? Not necessarily a structural failure, but enough that it may telegraph through your paint finish? I know that used to be a concern with fiberglass add-ons (scoops, etc.); maybe with today's composites and modern glues and fillers that's not a concern ?? Curious minds want to know
I try to avoid adding gobbs of fillers. My main focus is to lay down as much carbon fiber and fiberglass as possible to make it so I just need a somewhat thing line of filler to smooth out the imperfections.

Luckily the corvette's panels are all fiberglass. The only thing poly is the front and rear fenders but those will be replicated and pushed out of the molds as carbon pieces. So my whole car will be frp/cf as the finished end result.

Things that have the most use and flex on them will be a weak point. Doors are usually number one so I avoided using anything but fiberglass on them to cover. The front hood will be my second concern, but I after I finish it should be fine.

The diffuser system could be my Achilles heel tho. I have never ran the apr diffuser or anything similiar so I am not sure how much down force will actually be added to it. I will be making custom brackets underneath to make that thing EXTREMELY SOLID in hopes of reducing stress points. I already added metal brackets that are infused with the diffuser to bumper system.

I can only find out by doing tho. If it does crack due to extreme amounts of downforce than I just have to patch it and create a fiberglass/carbon mold for it. Then I can just push it out as a 1 piece item and never worry about it. Luckily since we do all of this in house, I can just fix it with minimal cost.

Get notified of new replies

To 9K Racing C5.6 CeliVette Frankenstein Build

Old 10-14-2013, 03:07 PM
Blancpain
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Joey@9KRacing.com

I learned my skills by doing it, watching the pros, having mentors, researching, and trying to do new things. I also work with a team so we put all of our skills together. I have a older retired nascar aero designer who works with me at the shop. He teaches me about everything and helps me with anything we can't do by ourselves.

I am at master technician skill levels at the age of 23, but I can't be a master at everything car related due to my young age. I try to focus on my strong points and use my team members as tools. Each person in my shop brings something to the table I can't. I learn by doing projects and pushing new things. Hopefully I become one of the best car builders in America by my mid 30's. Only time can tell.

I will be completely rounding off my front bumper and adding a new hood line to compensate. I prefer having them mounted up close as possible. I tried avoiding the look of the red one just off of preference. I want aggressiveness in a car.

I try to avoid adding gobbs of fillers. My main focus is to lay down as much carbon fiber and fiberglass as possible to make it so I just need a somewhat thing line of filler to smooth out the imperfections.

Luckily the corvette's panels are all fiberglass. The only thing poly is the front and rear fenders but those will be replicated and pushed out of the molds as carbon pieces. So my whole car will be frp/cf as the finished end result.

Things that have the most use and flex on them will be a weak point. Doors are usually number one so I avoided using anything but fiberglass on them to cover. The front hood will be my second concern, but I after I finish it should be fine.

The diffuser system could be my Achilles heel tho. I have never ran the apr diffuser or anything similiar so I am not sure how much down force will actually be added to it. I will be making custom brackets underneath to make that thing EXTREMELY SOLID in hopes of reducing stress points. I already added metal brackets that are infused with the diffuser to bumper system.

I can only find out by doing tho. If it does crack due to extreme amounts of downforce than I just have to patch it and create a fiberglass/carbon mold for it. Then I can just push it out as a 1 piece item and never worry about it. Luckily since we do all of this in house, I can just fix it with minimal cost.
I hope it turns out great! If it does.... plan on making more of these conversions for paying customers
Old 10-14-2013, 07:34 PM
wlean99
Melting Slicks

St Jude Donor '14
Default joey@9Kracingg 99

Well seem you have the best available support team available,kinda wish I did when I was young.Did learn a lot from the old guys even though they would bust your b... a lot.A lot has changed I have a 99 vette and dont even know what material is used for a rocker panel repair/stress crack.
Make sure you give the guys you work with the respect they deserve,It sounds like you have a good head on your shoulders.Man you are one lucky(and hard working)guy to work with talent such as you have available. Keep up the good work,can't wait to see finished project.wlean99
Old 10-16-2013, 05:08 AM
9KJoey
Instructor

Removed my stock brakes for something more beefier. What will take its place?

Our fabricator made me some custom parts. Adjustable seat bracket and slider combo.(will be mating to the s2k seats)

Custom power steering tank with some fresh powdercoat. Signature black and gold shop colors. More black and gold themed items will be made for the engine bay as well.

Also machined a shift **** made for the car. Hopefully it will give me some motivation to put more work into the car and get it driving again.

I have an interview with Fox news in a few days so my shop has been in a frenzy trying to setup everything for it. Once that swings over and I finish all my appointments on time. Then I can start focusing more on her.

Excuses will stop soon enough... Stay tuned.

Also Big thanks to everyone who throws in their positive feedback. I dig the encouragement.

Last edited by 9KJoey; 10-16-2013 at 05:14 AM.

Quick Reply: 9K Racing C5.6 CeliVette Frankenstein Build