Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Want to play a ipod on your factory radio???

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2013, 08:02 PM
Jersyndicate
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Want to play a ipod on your factory radio???

Hey guys, I recently installed a new stereo in my 98 C5 Corvette. I'm looking to sell my iSimple iPod adapter that made it possible to work with my factory radio. All you need to do is unplug your 6 disc changer in the rear compartment of your car, plug the cord into the adapter, and run the ipod cable up front. (I ran it to my center console.)
Then, turn on the radio, press the "cd/aux" button, and it will play your ipod. The only thing this won't do is display the track listing or artist.
I used this for two yesrs, but decided to spend the $1500 to get a new stereo. (thanks to Double D Mods!!)
I've seen other ipod adapters go for $125-$250.
This is a cheap way to make your ipod work in your car without paying a arm and a leg for it, it's easy to convert back to the cd changer without any modifications to your car.
I'm only asking for $50 + shipping for the kit. Less than what I paid for it.
If your interested, shoot me a pm.
Thanks!!
Old 11-13-2013, 08:08 PM
Drummingdad
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Which plug does it work with. The 30 pin or the lightning
Old 11-13-2013, 10:47 PM
CINNEMAN
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St Jude Donor '14

Bummer i just ordered one on monday.
Old 11-14-2013, 05:15 AM
Jersyndicate
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

It's the larger connector attached to the cd changer.
Old 11-14-2013, 08:32 AM
DBRASUE
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bummer, my FRC didn't come with a changer...
Old 11-14-2013, 10:31 AM
Drummingdad
Instructor

I meant is it the big plug IPhone 4 or the small plug IPhone 5.
I would be very interested but I have an IPhone 5 and have not had any luck with any of the adaptors from old IPhone to new.
Old 11-14-2013, 06:35 PM
Rick in KC
Heel & Toe

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I managed the same project last year and it works nice. My 01 didn't have the rear changer so it used a different harness that goes to the back of the stereo, not forward from the trunk. Simple plug and play. I'm also interested in the smaller iPhone 5 plug. Anybody had luck with an adapter or finding the newer cord?
Old 11-14-2013, 08:05 PM
Drummingdad
Instructor

As posted above, I haven't had any luck with adapters. The only thing I did get to work was a charger, and I had to remove the phone from the case to get that to work. That in itself was a PIA.

With the I-4 being old stuff now, I'm just hanging out and waiting for the tech world to catch up to the Lightning plug. I would love an I-Simple, but I'm not dealing with adapters.
Old 11-14-2013, 09:12 PM
Rookieracer
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 197 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by DBRASUE
Bummer, my FRC didn't come with a changer...
You can plug into the harness at the back where the changer goes or into the back of the factory head unit. I have mine behind the head unit.

Originally Posted by Drummingdad
I meant is it the big plug IPhone 4 or the small plug IPhone 5.
I would be very interested but I have an IPhone 5 and have not had any luck with any of the adaptors from old IPhone to new.
Be sure to use the Apple brand lightning adapter. I use my iphone 4 and 5 as well as a 3rd gen ipod in my 2002 Vette, all with the adapter I purchased from Dennis at Double D Mods. He is a vendor here.
Old 11-15-2013, 08:55 AM
Drummingdad
Instructor

The adapters I have are Apple.
The company I work for issues all of our Apple products. I own my phone, I travel so Im pretty adament about controling my single most import form of communication. The company just loads their stuff on it. But is it still an I-5
I like the idea of an ISimple. I think the OP has a fantastic price on his too. If it would work with my phone I would have bought it 2 seconds after his original post When they come out, if they havent already, one that works for the I-5. I will probably get one for the Vette and the Co truck both.
What I found inconvenient about the adaptors is I have to remove my phone from the case to get them to hook up properly. That sucks huge. The other thing I found out is that same adaptor that works to charge it, didnt work for playing music through the XM docking station. And XM doesnt support their unit if you are using an adapter. I have since picked up an adaptor that has the the audio input & lightning plug. There is absolutely no way to use this with any type of case Ive seen on the market. It and a couple other adaptors are laying in the bottom of my brief case. Ya want em. I'll send em to ya.
Old 11-15-2013, 11:28 AM
Rookieracer
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 197 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by Drummingdad
The adapters I have are Apple.
The company I work for issues all of our Apple products. I own my phone, I travel so Im pretty adament about controling my single most import form of communication. The company just loads their stuff on it. But is it still an I-5
I like the idea of an ISimple. I think the OP has a fantastic price on his too. If it would work with my phone I would have bought it 2 seconds after his original post When they come out, if they havent already, one that works for the I-5. I will probably get one for the Vette and the Co truck both.
What I found inconvenient about the adaptors is I have to remove my phone from the case to get them to hook up properly. That sucks huge. The other thing I found out is that same adaptor that works to charge it, didnt work for playing music through the XM docking station. And XM doesnt support their unit if you are using an adapter. I have since picked up an adaptor that has the the audio input & lightning plug. There is absolutely no way to use this with any type of case Ive seen on the market. It and a couple other adaptors are laying in the bottom of my brief case. Ya want em. I'll send em to ya.
I don't use a case on my iPhone 5, so the adapters aren't a problem for me and seem to work for all the charging/audio on my legacy devices.
I'd be happy to accept your extra adapters, 3 other family members with 5s, seems like we are always looking for an adapter for something.
Old 11-15-2013, 12:44 PM
69monzacpe
Burning Brakes

Received 50 Likes on 48 Posts

Just a little too late, I ordered one Monday and it will be delivered tomorrow. I have the CD changer in the back, so it would have worked for me!

Old 11-15-2013, 01:36 PM
kgie1217
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Will this work with the CD Changer? I have the iPhone 5 so this should work...correct?

JamLink CAR
Old 11-15-2013, 03:29 PM
CINNEMAN
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St Jude Donor '14

just an FYI for anyone wondering, the new lightning connector adapter will work with the system, i purchased an iSimple and installed it last night, i did purchase the 30 pin to lightning adapter last night after install and it charges and works great with the iPhone5..
Old 11-16-2013, 05:37 AM
FunCar11
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default If you still have it I will take it

I f you still have it I will Take it
sunny4935@aol.com

Get notified of new replies

To Want to play a ipod on your factory radio???

Quick Reply: Want to play a ipod on your factory radio???