Sponsored by:

hello folks...new member of the forum....first question

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2014, 10:45 PM
wheelman1944
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hello folks...new member of the forum....first question

Have an 02 convertible and am going to install a cold air pkg with a aftermarket maf and exhaust....what do you guys recommend for the best performance boost.….thanks in advance.....oh by the way....just street use and purely for my entertainment... Lol!
Old 02-12-2014, 11:02 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,285 Likes on 13,961 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

For max gain from a CAI, go with the Vararam. Kind of a PITA to install, but the gains are better than any other one out there. While not a true CAI, the Blackwing, which I have on my car, is an easy install, looks great, flows better than the stock air intake and is priced pretty reasonable.

As for the exhaust, I am assuming you are talking about headers. Some of the better ones are LGs, Kooks, and American Racing. If you want a good set of catback mufflers, seriously consider a set of Corsa mufflers.
Old 02-12-2014, 11:11 PM
wheelman1944
Advanced

Default performance

Thanks so much....that's pretty much what I had decided on as for the vararam and that indeed its a pita lol...and the exhaust thing I was talking about is cat back...can't decide there yet...what's your thoughts on the maf
Old 02-12-2014, 11:40 PM
Mike98SilVert
Team Owner

Received 3,042 Likes on 2,026 Posts

Originally Posted by wheelman1944
oh by the way....just street use and purely for my entertainment... Lol!
A Blackwing or even a Z06 lid would be fine. The Vararam would be unnecessary. Choose the cat back for sound. I have the Magnaflow system pictured below. I love the sound of this system and have tried several others over the years by B&B and Borla. B&B Bullets sound great if you like very loud.

Old 02-13-2014, 12:47 AM
Trigger Creep
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I tried the Ti Z06 catbacks but found them too quiet for my goal, B&B Bullets were very aggressive and produced a noticeable boost in HP and response. But the drone at cruising speed was a pain, plus the exhaust note while the auto shifted gears was not desireable. It sounded much like a whining adult...

I found a Z06 H pipe (between the exhaust manifolds and catbacks) which did not have the pre-cats (pup cats) of the coupe and vert models and welded a Bassanni X pipe between the remainder of the H pipe and a new set of Corsa Indy Pace car exhaust.

This system eliminated the pre-cats, reduced pressure at the crossover and opened up the exhaust.

Its very loud when I get aggressive and barely reminds me its there while cruising.

I cut open an h-pipe equalization tube to see the magic. GM just burns a hole in the tubes and welds the equalizer tube between the exhaust to equalize pressure there. The hole is about the size of a dime and is rough from just being burned through with a torch. It does work, but a smoother airflow is found with an X pipe.

I have been zip-tying a paper filter in the airbox with my desired result. I gave up on the oiled filters just because it was more work to clean and re-oil and I'd rather be getting a new filter dirty than scrubbing my hands.

Do some reading about the zip-tie vs Blackwing, K&N, etc. I agree, I love the look of the Blackhawk.

Cheers! Congratulations on the Vette and welcome to the forum!!!
Old 02-13-2014, 08:05 AM
cvm
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Thanks so much....that's pretty much what I had decided on as for the vararam and that indeed its a pita lol...and the exhaust thing I was talking about is cat back...can't decide there yet...what's your thoughts on the maf
Ive got a $350 paperweight with a granetilli sticker on it for my BB dually. Unless your maxed out on other mods don't bother. Spend that $ on a tune after headers. JMO
Old 02-13-2014, 11:50 AM
RedZMonte
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I like the Callaway Honker or the Haltech, Looks OEM and performs well. Dont waste your time or money with replacing the maf and dont remove the screen in the maf. If your maf doesnt have a screen get a Haltech screen. I Agree with repalcing the Stock H with a X, that will smooth out the sound and make it less motorboaty and if you have the "jingle" in your exhaust it will go away. Mufflers are your choice, i would recommend something pretty quiet for a Vert (not top=more sound)

S

Last edited by RedZMonte; 02-13-2014 at 11:52 AM.
Old 02-13-2014, 11:56 AM
jd_black_00
Melting Slicks

Received 470 Likes on 145 Posts
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2016 C5 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '12, '14

You can turn the blackwing into a true CAI with a little modification... Team ZR1 makes the Icebox surround kit that I put on my car. Cut through the lower radiator shroud and you have yourself a CAI

Last edited by jd_black_00; 02-13-2014 at 11:56 AM. Reason: wrong pic
Old 02-13-2014, 12:40 PM
Cybermind
Melting Slicks

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by cvm
Ive got a $350 paperweight with a granetilli sticker on it for my BB dually. Unless your maxed out on other mods don't bother. Spend that $ on a tune after headers. JMO

Complete waste of money. Furthermore you can actually hurt the performance and/or driveability of your car. Stick with the OEM MAF. However, it would be a great time to clean it using a proper MAF cleaning solvent.
Old 02-13-2014, 08:03 PM
Ron222
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 26 Posts

Have an 02 convertible and am going to install a cold air pkg with a aftermarket maf and exhaust....what do you guys recommend for the best performance boost.….thanks in advance.....oh by the way....just street use and purely for my entertainment... Lol!
'04 Convertible here....LG Streets, High Flow Cats, Black Wing and a Good Tune...right at 340hp, 357 tq to the tires. I kept the stock cat back exhausts...didn't want it too loud inside, being a rag top and all but am considering a set of Corsa's when the new clutch goes in.

You're not going to gain much hp or tq from the exhausts, manufacturers claim about 10 hp but I don't know that I'd put money on that. A new set of Corsa's can run you anywhere from approx. $1,100 and up, for a few hundred more you've got a good set of headers and power that you'll feel in the seat of your pants.
Old 02-13-2014, 09:21 PM
onlyavette
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I your car an auto or manual?
Old 02-13-2014, 10:01 PM
wheelman1944
Advanced

Originally Posted by onlyavette
I your car an auto or manual?
Its an auto and it has the optional 3:15 gear