Sponsored by:

Started My C5 Z build yesterday

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2014, 04:02 PM
JoeDAnnunzio
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Started My C5 Z build yesterday

After about three weeks of replacing moldings, lights, and several broken parts just to get the car back to 100% I finally got my hands dirty on some performance mods yesterday. I searched for a few days before finding a Pfadt diff brace at Summit (one of the few still floating around), and called up Randy@DRM for some Bilsteins. Between these two mods any semblance of wheel-hop or transmission slop is gone. I couldn't be happier. The Z feels much more poised and predictable to say the least. The roads around here aren't the best, but the worst of them feel like the best use to, and the best feel like glue.

I'm taking a sort of reverse philosophy with this build. Normally I go power first and then fix what breaks. This time I'm going suspension, trans/diff/clutch, probably new seats, then power (I'm thinking a hand-built 418 LS3). Hopefully this philosophy will be gentler on my budget than previous plans.

Given that I like to have a plan, I've been doing a lot of reading and calling around. Pfadt was helpful, at least to the extent of giving me the bad news about discontinuations on several of their products, and pointing me in the direction of stocking dealers. I've talked with Rick@RKT56 about what I need vs. what I want in a drive train, and I think he's pointed me in the right direction. I'll probably end up with a built T-56 with C6Z gearing, and C6/5 z hybrid diff. But the stand out of the group in terms of customer service so far (and I do think they have all been great) is Randy@DRM. I chatted with him for over an hour about, suspension setups, part longevity, engine building, family business, investment options, the dynamics of tactical shooting, and how to keep your dog healthy. Randy knows his stuff, and from my impression enjoys sharing it.

Hopefully my little review/write up helps or entertains someone. Oh and here she is. Stripped, clay bared, and waxed.
Attached Images  
Old 02-20-2014, 09:06 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,292 Likes on 13,966 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Nice mods you're doing.

Quick Reply: Started My C5 Z build yesterday