Lowered on Stock Bolts -> Can We Set The Record Straight

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2014, 02:44 PM
luke87gt
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Lowered on Stock Bolts -> Can We Set The Record Straight

Hi folks,

I own a 2003 z06 and I’ve been debating whether to keep the car at stock ride height or lower it on the stock bolts.

After reading at least a couple dozen posts on the topic here, I have mixed opinions and have heard quite a bit of conflicting information that I am hoping some of you guys may be able to clarify.

Ride Height: I’ve heard that when you max out the stock bolts, a C5 owner can expect somewhere in the neighborhood of ¾” or so. Some have reported over an inch and others have reported as little as a ½” or less. Looking through some of the pictures, there seems to be a wide distribution of ride heights for people that have lowered on stock bolts. Of course every car is a little different and tire height will play a visual role in fender gap, but the distribution seems wider than I’d expect. Maybe some people are cutting down their bushings and not reporting that detail?

Ride Quality: Again some report that the ride quality hasn’t changed. Others complain that the ride did get noticeably harsher, especially in the rear. Based on the suspension design, is there any reason that lowering on the stock bolts will deteriorate the ride quality? Is the shock travel sufficient? Does lowering a C5 on stock bolts theoretically introduce any suspension binding? Any insight?

Adverse Effects: Besides the obvious increased likelihood to scrape on driveways and speed-bumps, I’ve heard some guys complaining about wheel-hop at the track after lowering. What’s been your experience?

As a bit of background, I’ve been an auto enthusiast all my life. Pretty much every car I’ve owned has been lowered to some degree - coilovers, conventional springs, you name it. I’m 33 now and not as willing to put up with the compromises that come with lowering a car as I did in my 20s, but it seems that the drop you get with stock bolts is moderate, which is a good thing. I look forward to your reply.

Thanks,

Luke

Last edited by luke87gt; 03-07-2014 at 02:49 PM.
Old 03-07-2014, 02:54 PM
FYRARMS
Le Mans Master

Received 3,232 Likes on 1,589 Posts

Originally Posted by luke87gt
I’m 33 now and not as willing to put up with the compromises that come with lowering a car as I did in my 20s
I am 44 and like my cars sick and slammed. Mine is lowered on aftermarket bolts with cut front bushings. It rides like ****, as there is almost no suspension travel. If you lower yours on stock bolts, you will notice a slightly firmer ride, but it won't be too bad. For what it is worth, I am installing coilovers in the summer so I will actually have a slammed car that rides good and handles well again.
Old 03-07-2014, 03:23 PM
luke87gt
Pro

Just to clarify, is the source of the ride quality deterioration specifically due to reduced shock travel, or is there some other reason?

For example, if I lower the car, but get a shorter shock will that restore ride quality? Or is there some other contributing factor that plays a role in the ride quality?
Old 03-07-2014, 04:02 PM
ssrallyred
Burning Brakes

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

I am lowered on stock bolts and maxed at 3/4 inch. Ride is firm but not harsh at all. Did an alighnment based on specs I found in a thread on here and am very happy with the results.
Old 03-07-2014, 04:18 PM
Lee DeRaud
Melting Slicks

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by luke87gt
Ride Height: I’ve heard that when you max out the stock bolts, a C5 owner can expect somewhere in the neighborhood of ¾” or so. Some have reported over an inch and others have reported as little as a ½” or less.
The amount you can lower it from where it is now depends, um, on where it is now. Near as I can tell, the stock bolts give a range from about 1/2" over factory spec to about 3/4" below...total of 1.25" to 1.5" total. There's no rule that says that everybody started from exactly "stock" height.
Old 03-07-2014, 04:30 PM
Lee DeRaud
Melting Slicks

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by ssrallyred
I am lowered on stock bolts and maxed at 3/4 inch. Ride is firm but not harsh at all.
Changing the ride height with the bolts just moves the wheel relative to the spring: the spring rate itself doesn't change, unlike what happens when you move the adjustment collar on a coil-over unit. The suspension will bottom out sooner, but with the same spring rate, the ride will not change until either the suspension bottoms or something solid hits the ground.
Old 03-07-2014, 08:44 PM
Silverbullet00
Race Director

Location: Norman Oklahoma - The Only State in the Union with no Blue Counties!
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

My car is lowered all the way on the stock bolts. Didn't measure but def lower. When I added the C6Z06 shocks she came back up a tad. My old shocks were close to worn out so that is not a big surprise. I am about to lower my car again with aftermarket bolts up front.

No matter what changes you do to the suspension, get a realignment at all the corners. Tire wear will be bad if you don't.
Old 03-07-2014, 09:07 PM
3318C5
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

OP mine is lowered all the way on stock bolts & I have longer bolts in the rear. Initially I also cut the bushings on the front, but I felt while the look was awesome, I was scraping on way too many things. So I bought a new pair of front bolts.

Just to recap, lowered all the way on stock bolts with bushings still in place. The rear I lowered to be at the exact height as the front. I wanted the car to be lowered but even front & back.

Like mentioned before, the overall drop is dependent on the original height from the factory which I did NOT measure before I lowered it. As far as the ride, I did NOT feel much of a change, but that is also dependent on the suspension your car came with. My has the F55 Magnetic Shocks.

In my opinion, go all the way on the stock bolts, then get an alignment. You are good to go & the nice things about vettes is that if you don't like it, just put it back.
Old 03-07-2014, 09:15 PM
devnull
Scientific Negotiator
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,836 Likes on 1,018 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'10, '14

Originally Posted by Silverbullet00
No matter what changes you do to the suspension, get a realignment at all the corners. Tire wear will be bad if you don't.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Cannot stress this enough!

I have had all stages of lowering, on more than one C5. Lowering it changes your driving style for sure (you become great at angles), but without changing the spring or damping rate much, I have never seen much difference in wheel hop or any other straight line type action (assuming that you actually do realign the car after lowering as you should). Curvy handling it certainly improved but honestly, this is a look thing.

Hope these pics help a little...

Stock height,

Lowered max on stock bolts:

SLAMMED on long bolts and cut fronts:
Old 03-07-2014, 10:23 PM
Silverbullet00
Race Director

Originally Posted by devnull
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Cannot stress this enough!

I have had all stages of lowering, on more than one C5. Lowering it changes your driving style for sure (you become great at angles), but without changing the spring or damping rate much, I have never seen much difference in wheel hop or any other straight line type action (assuming that you actually do realign the car after lowering as you should). Curvy handling it certainly improved but honestly, this is a look thing.

Hope these pics help a little...

Stock height,

Lowered max on stock bolts:

SLAMMED on long bolts and cut fronts:
So many make the mistake of not getting a new alignment. Big mistake!
Old 03-07-2014, 10:30 PM
devnull
Scientific Negotiator
Support Corvetteforum!

So many make the mistake of not getting a new alignment. Big mistake!
Totally... MAN, it feels GREAT to be back here. My 'new' '02 Z06 is mine as of next week. First things first is to reduce the 4x4 action, fix the paint (it is black and was owned by a car wash fan), and get the exhaust out...

I called and scheduled the alignment already, just to ensure that my lazy butt does not sit on the long bolts.
Old 03-07-2014, 10:35 PM
Silverbullet00
Race Director

Totally... MAN, it feels GREAT to be back here. My 'new' '02 Z06 is mine as of next week. First things first is to reduce the 4x4 action, fix the paint (it is black and was owned by a car wash fan), and get the exhaust out...

I called and scheduled the alignment already, just to ensure that my lazy butt does not sit on the long bolts.

Bring that badaZz06 to Norman this June 21, 2014 NCCO ALL Vette Show for the best silent auction around, headers, tires, Chuck CoW tunes!
Old 03-07-2014, 10:41 PM
devnull
Scientific Negotiator
Support Corvetteforum!

Bring that badaZz06 to Norman this June 21, 2014 NCCO ALL Vette Show for the best silent auction around, headers, tires, Chuck CoW tunes!
March - June = 3 months * 4 = 12 weeks....

Hmmmm, yeah. I should be able to fix the paint and get the long tubes and such in by then...

Calendar marked bud... THANKS!
Old 03-07-2014, 10:50 PM
Silverbullet00
Race Director

March - June = 3 months * 4 = 12 weeks....

Hmmmm, yeah. I should be able to fix the paint and get the long tubes and such in by then...

Calendar marked bud... THANKS!

Thread officially unhijacked!
Old 03-07-2014, 11:24 PM
striper
Le Mans Master

Received 246 Likes on 215 Posts

First of all, if you can get a copy of the video that came with your car when new, there is a section on handling where they actually recommend lowering the car 1/2"+ to improve the handling. On my car, which is an '03 Z06, I lowered to max on the stock bolts and cut the front bushings for a little extra rake (also recommended for high-speed aero). I took my car to one of the best shops in the country for alignment and racecar chassis setup, Phoenix Automotive in Pennsylvania. Other than the expected scraping, I didn't experience a significant negative in ride quality and after the alignment the handling is exact, precise and intuitive. The car drives great and it looks terrific, so much better than stock height. I'm never going to raise it back up.
Old 03-07-2014, 11:26 PM
striper
Le Mans Master

Received 246 Likes on 215 Posts

Sorry, but I forgot to mention I put in Bilstein Sport shocks too. oops!
Old 03-07-2014, 11:29 PM
luke87gt
Pro

Striped, the Bils Sports are shorter than stock. Wonder if that prevented the poor ride quality?

Get notified of new replies

To Lowered on Stock Bolts -> Can We Set The Record Straight

Old 03-08-2014, 12:09 AM
PvtJoker21
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1)I Am Lowered on stock bolts. I shaved the bushings to get even lower. I was told that the aftermarket bushings are garbage and that the stock bushings are much better quality and can be shaven down. This turned out to be a very good option! That would be my 'Top Tip' for you. You can go extreamly low this way. I dont have pics to put up here but you can check out my Instgram at Instagram.com/noogphotos and there is pics of my lowered c5 there
2)Ride quality DOES change. if you dont have runflats is not bad at all. if you do, dont worry its not bad. i live in SoCal and there are some pretty harsh roads here and its really not a big deal.
3) It will not ruin your suspension in any way overtime if you do it the way i said by shaving down the bushings. I cannot safly say the same about the aftermarket plastic bushings.
Old 03-08-2014, 01:21 AM
0Chuck CoW
Former Vendor

Received 243 Likes on 183 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'12-'13-'14

Default That's a great idea my friend!

That's a great idea my friend!

This is gonna be a GREAT event!
Chuck CoW
Old 03-08-2014, 09:48 AM
tsbbzm
Melting Slicks

Received 42 Likes on 16 Posts

Lower on stock bolts, with 1 thread showing at top of nut.
Ride quality about the same IMO, no other changes noticed...

Quick Reply: Lowered on Stock Bolts -> Can We Set The Record Straight