Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who else is under 20 years old on this forum?

Old 04-03-2014, 11:22 PM
spdislife
Le Mans Master

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by envyz06
curious as to how a 17 year old can afford this, along with s/c'ing it?
I'm curious too and the reason I am is I want to know if you saved up all your paper route $ or if daddy dropped the dime. And you answered it the way I hoped, and the way I did when I bought my first one at 18

Last edited by spdislife; 04-03-2014 at 11:25 PM.
Old 04-03-2014, 11:25 PM
Matt_OEP
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Pirateslife4me
I think it was more so affording the SC than the car thats huge chunk of change to lay down for anybody of any age now combine that with the vette and wow. Either way I get it and think it's pretty damn cool that you kids ( I can call ya that cause I just turned 44 ) pick a 16 year old iconic american car and are passionate about it. So HIGH FREAKING FIVE TO YOU ALL! I thought the passion for american muscle was totally lost on the generations after mine. Seems like to be a cool younger car guy these days you have to buy an import and be a drifting wanna be. Don't get me wrong there are some evil looking imports that tear it up and have owners that have dumped tons of time and money into them but…. IMO they have no soul whatsoever.

I grew up working at taco joints but my dad had a car lot that I work at part time back then. He always had muscle cars and vettes and passed that love for cars on to me. I bought my 1st car a 1955 chevy 2door at 14 and have had tons of custom cars that I built myself since then. I was 21 when I built my first prostreet 10sec camaro that started life as little old ladies daily driver. I built it on a budget and working a del taco so it can be done and nobody could understand how I managed to build such a fast car at such a young age on the money that I made. But truth is that my car(s) were my life. I worked to make money to feed my car needs and nothing more I didn't really date much unless she liked to hang out in the shop and at the track with me. I didn't hang out with friends at the mall. Hanging out was pretty much limited to at a car show or race track.
I rented a shop and would work on my car(s) and friends cars with them till 4 or 5 in the morning all learning from each other and turning out incredible rides. I would then pass out for a couple hours get up go to work than back to the shop. It was the best of times and I wouldn't trade those times for anything.So god bless you younger guys and once again HIGH FREAKING FIVE for keeping the passion of american muscle alive and not buying a $15k honda civic!
There are so many different cars I'd rather spend 15K on than a freaking civic
Old 04-03-2014, 11:26 PM
Spider Vette
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Kudos too you young fellas!!! I was in the Mustang game for many yrs so at 34 I Bought my first vett!! Now that I dumped Some real money in it with that high vette Tax we all get hit with lol. I have gotten a few crazy remarks like, It must be nice to sell drugs by some Old Men from time to time!! I'm like If you have to sell drugs to own a 2000 Conv then I'm laughing at any drug dealers lmao... I think it was something more then that but I will keep that out of this convo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Be safe fellas & Once again enjoy your ride!!!
Old 04-03-2014, 11:40 PM
one-ate-6ix
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was 18 when I bought my 1999 FRC. Work full time and go to college, the jobs worth the corvette though First car I've ever bought, planning on always owning one from now on![IMG]
Old 04-04-2014, 12:07 AM
_Wayne_
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

18 when I bought her now I'm 20. Work and school over here. Wanted a corvette when since I can remember. Luckily I am very gifted with the computer work, landed a 15$ a hour IT support job in high school. While working at a small computer repair shop and running my own small computer repair business on the side. Also made time for sports needless to say I worked 7 days a week sometimes I'd pull all nighters to get all I needed to do done. Long story short worked a lot bought my baby for 12k with 60,000 miles on it. Want to super charge it just working on the rear end and stall first!

Just some quick pics I snapped
Old 04-04-2014, 07:46 AM
mojo1
Team Owner

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15, '19

Me I am close, only 54 here! Glad to see you young ones passionate about the vette!
Old 04-04-2014, 08:13 AM
DevilDog II
Race Director

Received 888 Likes on 553 Posts
Oldtimer

Originally Posted by C5at16
Curious about why you are wondering ow I can afford it
Great answer. When I returned home from Vietnam I bought a new 1969 Plymouth Roadrunner for $3000, which was a lot of money back then. I was only 20 and don't remember anyone asking me (or even caring) how I could afford it.
Old 04-04-2014, 12:17 PM
DRAFT1
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by C5at16
Been working since I was 12, started off as a bus boy making up to 300$ a weekend, started making pizzas getting paid 10$ an hour close to 6-7 days a week working 8 hour shifts in case anybody is that curious.
That is great. I'm 52 and the '74 C3 you see in my avatar was bought when I was 18. The girl friend you see is my wife now of 32 years. I worked from noon till 8PM as a bag boy while going to school along with doing body work when I could. Your a "car guy" and I think that's great. Glad to see ambition for ownership of such a fine car. Congrats!!
Old 04-04-2014, 12:46 PM
Pirateslife4me
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by _Wayne_
18 when I bought her now I'm 20. Work and school over here. Wanted a corvette when since I can remember. Luckily I am very gifted with the computer work, landed a 15$ a hour IT support job in high school. While working at a small computer repair shop and running my own small computer repair business on the side. Also made time for sports needless to say I worked 7 days a week sometimes I'd pull all nighters to get all I needed to do done. Long story short worked a lot bought my baby for 12k with 60,000 miles on it. Want to super charge it just working on the rear end and stall first!

Just some quick pics I snapped
Holy Hydro carbon! Looks amazing.. love the steering wheel hub would love some info about it.
Old 04-04-2014, 12:48 PM
Pirateslife4me
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by DRAFT1
That is great. I'm 52 and the '74 C3 you see in my avatar was bought when I was 18. The girl friend you see is my wife now of 32 years. I worked from noon till 8PM as a bag boy while going to school along with doing body work when I could. Your a "car guy" and I think that's great. Glad to see ambition for ownership of such a fine car. Congrats!!

Old 04-04-2014, 12:54 PM
chad3113
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I lol'd at all the people who believe a 17-18 yr old works 6-7 days/wk 8-12hrs a day... Really? 48-74hr work weeks at 18...stop it!

I also find it funny how you guys believe a 17-18 yr old can afford a $12-15,000 car, paid in full of course because no teenager will be able to get a loan on a 13+ yr old car, while also paying for maintenance on said 13+ year old car, and insurance which would run $250-500+/month on a vette depending on coverage and location... all without a single hand from their parents...

Now there's nothing wrong with your parents buying you a vette, or helping you out for that matter, but please lets not be coy about it. As someone who literally was on their own at 18, paid everything themselves such as food, auto, health, living, rent, and college tuition themselves, I know first hand what the limitations are.
Old 04-04-2014, 01:23 PM
Pirateslife4me
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by chad3113
I lol'd at all the people who believe a 17-18 yr old works 6-7 days/wk 8-12hrs a day... Really? 48-74hr work weeks at 18...stop it!

I also find it funny how you guys believe a 17-18 yr old can afford a $12-15,000 car, paid in full of course because no teenager will be able to get a loan on a 13+ yr old car, while also paying for maintenance on said 13+ year old car, and insurance which would run $250-500+/month on a vette depending on coverage and location... all without a single hand from their parents...

Now there's nothing wrong with your parents buying you a vette, or helping you out for that matter, but please lets not be coy about it. As someone who literally was on their own at 18, paid everything themselves such as food, auto, health, living, rent, and college tuition themselves, I know first hand what the limitations are.
So they are all liars then? who cares how they got their cars they have them and they are not driving those god awful coffee can muffler RICERS!

I bought my first Harley Fat Boy at 24 and guess what I did it without mommy and daddy paying for it in anyway. I also sold it less than a year later. Care to guess why? I'll tell ya why it was cause the "real Harley guys" you know those that are in their late 40's and 50's dress all up in the leather once or twice a week and paint everything orange and black gave me soooo much crap about my age. I looked young for my age so they probably thought i was barely 20. I didn't fit the mold of the "real harley guy" to them. Forget the fact that I bought and paid for mine just the same as they did. They acted like they had some kinda god given birth right to being a Harley guy and because I was young and owned one it must be my daddy's or something to that effect. Even the guys at the parts counters all tatted up and long hair didn't want to help me spend my money on all the aftermarket stuff I was wanting to buy. I made great money even though I was barely into my 20's and had a job since I was 14 and lied about my age to get it.

So I sold that Harley since instead of the older guys saying hey way to go kid glad to see the younger generation following our passion I got shunned as a wanna be or daddy's bike or not "a real harley guy" I then went and bought a Japanese cruiser and went nuts with mods slammed, wheels, stretched the whole 9. and guess what happened at the following bike week. All these harley guys came up eye balling and drooling over my Japanese cruiser in disbelief that it was a v-twin Japanese bike and that I was the owner.

Point being if the kid says he earned it then as far as I'm concerned he earned it and who are we to question him? No matter what our growing up experience is the fact remains we don't know him and shouldn't be judging him especially for his desire to carry on with the love of the corvette. Once again HIGH FIVE KID!

What parent would go buy their kid a damn near 20 year old corvette that if such irresponsible kids they are would probably wreck and get killed or not take care of the old car. The they would have to constantly be shelling out more cash for repairs. (end rant here)

Last edited by Pirateslife4me; 04-04-2014 at 01:26 PM.
Old 04-04-2014, 02:11 PM
chad3113
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So they are all liars then? who cares how they got their cars they have them and they are not driving those god awful coffee can muffler RICERS!

I bought my first Harley Fat Boy at 24 and guess what I did it without mommy and daddy paying for it in anyway. I also sold it less than a year later. Care to guess why? I'll tell ya why it was cause the "real Harley guys" you know those that are in their late 40's and 50's dress all up in the leather once or twice a week and paint everything orange and black gave me soooo much crap about my age. I looked young for my age so they probably thought i was barely 20. I didn't fit the mold of the "real harley guy" to them. Forget the fact that I bought and paid for mine just the same as they did. They acted like they had some kinda god given birth right to being a Harley guy and because I was young and owned one it must be my daddy's or something to that effect. Even the guys at the parts counters all tatted up and long hair didn't want to help me spend my money on all the aftermarket stuff I was wanting to buy. I made great money even though I was barely into my 20's and had a job since I was 14 and lied about my age to get it.

So I sold that Harley since instead of the older guys saying hey way to go kid glad to see the younger generation following our passion I got shunned as a wanna be or daddy's bike or not "a real harley guy" I then went and bought a Japanese cruiser and went nuts with mods slammed, wheels, stretched the whole 9. and guess what happened at the following bike week. All these harley guys came up eye balling and drooling over my Japanese cruiser in disbelief that it was a v-twin Japanese bike and that I was the owner.

Point being if the kid says he earned it then as far as I'm concerned he earned it and who are we to question him? No matter what our growing up experience is the fact remains we don't know him and shouldn't be judging him especially for his desire to carry on with the love of the corvette. Once again HIGH FIVE KID!

What parent would go buy their kid a damn near 20 year old corvette that if such irresponsible kids they are would probably wreck and get killed or not take care of the old car. The they would have to constantly be shelling out more cash for repairs. (end rant here)
Really?
You're comparing a 17-18yr old to a 24yr old?
You don't think a parent would buy their kid a corvette?
You don't think parents buy their kids items even though the kids are irresponsible?
You really think a 17yr old works 48-74hrs a week?
Are you really offended that I "judge" others?

...Seriously?

This is a place where we can express our opinions, and if you re-read what I wrote, I could care less about a "kid" owning a corvette who their parents may/may not have helped them purchase.

I take issue when "kids" post these elaborate stories about how they work 96hrs/wk, hold 4 jobs, pay for EVERYTHING themselves, without help from anyone, all in the attempt to garner more respect on an internet forum. I've been seeing it done for the past 12 years on various forums. If every single internet 18yr worked as hard as they say they do, they would all be top level executives at Apple Inc. living on their own private islands at this stage.
Old 04-04-2014, 02:15 PM
Pirateslife4me
Burning Brakes

Good lord man... maybe they do and your just bitter about it. Either way who cares?!?!?

And yes I am offended that your judging others did they ask for your almighty judgment no I don't think so. They just asked who else was here in their age group and decided to show off their cars. Somebody will always have something negative or accusatory to say about anything.

I congratulate them all on being in the older car game. It's not easy and doesn't always make sense but that's what being a car lover is all about.

Last edited by Pirateslife4me; 04-04-2014 at 02:23 PM.
Old 04-04-2014, 02:34 PM
C5at16
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Good lord man... maybe they do and your just bitter about it. Either way who cares?!?!?

And yes I am offended that your judging others did they ask for your almighty judgment no I don't think so. They just asked who else was here in their age group and decided to show off their cars. Somebody will always have something negative or accusatory to say about anything.

I congratulate them all on being in the older car game. It's not easy and doesn't always make sense but that's what being a car lover is all about.
Thank you pirate! People are just jealous and butt hurt about it.
Old 04-04-2014, 02:48 PM
troyguitar
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'll be the first one to admit I'm jealous.

I also worked my *** off in school, but did it in the "conventional" way which meant studying instead of making money.

All of that studying earned me the privilege of spending another ~$200k of the banks'/parents' money to do even more harder studying.

In hindsight, being "smart" was not a smart move. I probably would have been better off financially spending all of my study time working at McDonald's and putting the money away...
Old 04-04-2014, 02:56 PM
Jeff T.
Race Director

Received 1,090 Likes on 797 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Congrats to all you young guys with Corvettes! I spent much of my late teens chasing Camaro's, Nova's, Impala SS's then on to GTO's.

I always remember my Dad saying "For all the money you spent/lost on those cars you could have bought a Corvette".

Glad to see somehow you heard Dad's message!!

Congrats Again and Enjoy all the years I didn't have with a Corvette!!

Get notified of new replies

To Who else is under 20 years old on this forum?

Old 04-04-2014, 03:24 PM
envyz06
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I dont know why you are being a b*tch about me asking, as I said I was curious? Pull your panties out of your a$$. Never did I accuse you of not buying it your self or called you a liar. I bought my dream Camaro for 15k at 19 years old as well. I got my CompTIA A+ cert and ended up becoming a Supervisor computer tech for Dell. Man look how I afforded mine, that was so hard to explain...
Old 04-04-2014, 03:35 PM
_Wayne_
Pro

Holy Hydro carbon! Looks amazing.. love the steering wheel hub would love some info about it.
Yeah I got the hydro carbon off the forum used and sent some pieces to match. It's an ati hub I believe. Picked it up here on the forum used. I think it's a grant quick release and a custom spacer.
Old 04-04-2014, 03:38 PM
_Wayne_
Pro

Originally Posted by envyz06
I dont know why you are being a b*tch about me asking, as I said I was curious? Pull your panties out of your a$$. Never did I accuse you of not buying it your self or called you a liar. I bought my dream Camaro for 15k at 19 years old as well. I got my CompTIA A+ cert and ended up becoming a Supervisor computer tech for Dell. Man look how I afforded mine, that was so hard to explain...
That's how I got my job in highschool. Got ComTIA a+ freshman year. Net + and sever+ sophomore year. Security + and LPI junior year. And CCNA senior. Now working on my engineering degree

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Who else is under 20 years old on this forum?