Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Am I eligable for a test drive?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2014, 03:20 PM
Keith Richards
Drifting

Received 612 Likes on 361 Posts

Advice for the OP, if you bring a relative along for the test drive you need to drive that sucker like you are with the DMV agent when you got your license. Not like the test drive I did back in '79 at 14 years old (Idaho license) in a '70 Dodge Charger R/T 440 - 4 speed car! Non the less I wanted it and had the cash while my step dad said NO WAY! LOL
Old 04-17-2014, 04:13 PM
Black 02
Safety Car

Received 427 Likes on 316 Posts

Button down shirt and slacks are not required. Just dress like you normally do and be yourself. If they refuse the test drive, never go back to the dealership in the future as they don't deserve your business now and certainly not in the future.

Remember, dealerships are here to make money, you shouldn't have to beg them to drive a vehicle. If they don't want your business, move on as there are hundreds that would love your business.
Old 04-17-2014, 04:20 PM
Na4now
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Man, at 19 I was on my second vette. Seems like if you act like a serious buyer it shouldn't be an issue. Your old enough to serve your country....old enough to be married and have children....I'd say your old enough to test drive a +10yr old used car.

When I was young, I used to ride my bicycle around to different lots just to test drive vehicles for fun. Brought a few back with bald tires and smoking.
Old 04-17-2014, 04:23 PM
tro209
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Na4now
Man, at 19 I was on my second vette. Seems like if you act like a serious buyer it shouldn't be an issue. Your old enough to serve your country....old enough to be married and have children....I'd say your old enough to test drive a +10yr old used car.

When I was young, I used to ride my bicycle around to different lots just to test drive vehicles for fun. Brought a few back with bald tires and smoking.
Thanks,
Awesome to hear your on your 2nd vette. You do serve a good point though... if i can serve my country like an adult, pay taxes like an adult, then I should have every right to drive a used sports car
Old 04-17-2014, 04:25 PM
Black 02
Safety Car

Originally Posted by tro209
Thanks,
Awesome to hear your on your 2nd vette. You do serve a good point though... if i can serve my country like an adult, pay taxes like an adult, then I should have every right to drive a used sports car
It's a $15k car at best. If you went to drive a $30k ho-hum Eco box neither party would have a second thought. Quit thinking and go drive one!
Old 04-17-2014, 04:28 PM
tro209
Intermediate

Thanks,
Ya i hear you man. Maybe i am just thinking to much of this. I guess I'll just kee trying till someone hands me the keys to my future ride lol. No test drive , no buyer. Thanks
Old 04-17-2014, 05:53 PM
Joe_A
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St Jude Donor '15

In your first post you said you are looking to buy in 2 months DO NOT say that to the dealer. Doubt you will get a test drive. Tell him you are just starting your search and looking for the right car. If u say 2 months they will show u the car, but more than likely say come back when u are ready to buy.
Old 04-17-2014, 05:58 PM
tro209
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Joe_A
In your first post you said you are looking to buy in 2 months DO NOT say that to the dealer. Doubt you will get a test drive. Tell him you are just starting your search and looking for the right car. If u say 2 months they will show u the car, but more than likely say come back when u are ready to buy.
Good point. What do you think i should say to increase my chances and not mess up my chances? Im planning on trading in my BMW once i get it back from the shop and then Smog it. So about 2 months give or take.
Thanks
Old 04-17-2014, 06:09 PM
Joe_A
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St Jude Donor '15

Good point. What do you think i should say to increase my chances and not mess up my chances? Im planning on trading in my BMW once i get it back from the shop and then Smog it. So about 2 months give or take.
Thanks
You are just starting your search very interested in the car they have
They may ask if there are others you are looking at say yes and maybe have a specific car in the area with some details about the car at the end of the drive say I like it but need to compare to XYZ before I make a decision. I plan to see car xyz in a couple of days..... play the game string them along.

It is a dance first couple of times u might get turned down but keep trying
Old 04-17-2014, 11:47 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,234 Likes on 13,933 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Originally Posted by MaxPlusTen
Best thing to do is just ask... usually the salesman will let you under the condition he can ride along. Usually those guys are looking for an excuse to get out of the dealership. Sometimes its fun to scare those guys... not saying I have or anything
Go in there with a responsible attitude and see what they say.
Old 04-18-2014, 12:29 AM
c5zee
Advanced

Originally Posted by Na4now

Don't be like this guy... I've sold cars for a living, nothing worse than joyriders with no money. I'd suggest waiting 2 months until you are serious about buying any car whether it's a corvette or not with finances in place before taking joy rides. Like others have said you can reach out to other members if you just want to see if the car is for you. If you do goto the dealership don't be shocked if they want to send a salesman with you on the ride.
Old 04-18-2014, 07:00 AM
chuckeb84
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by c5zee
Don't be like this guy... I've sold cars for a living, nothing worse than joyriders with no money. I'd suggest waiting 2 months until you are serious about buying any car whether it's a corvette or not with finances in place before taking joy rides. Like others have said you can reach out to other members if you just want to see if the car is for you. If you do goto the dealership don't be shocked if they want to send a salesman with you on the ride.
You can test drive mine to the gas station
Old 04-18-2014, 08:21 AM
dannyman
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks
This is a gamechanger! Post a picture here of your Bimmer.
Old 04-18-2014, 09:12 AM
obnoxus
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I agree,,,,, you are way over thinking it,,,, walk in and act like an adult,,,,, and you will be treated like one.
Old 04-18-2014, 09:16 AM
Black 02
Safety Car

On the flip side, nothing worse than pushy salesmen asking way too many personal questions and screaming "today, today, today!"
Old 04-18-2014, 09:35 AM
c4gone
Drifting

Received 217 Likes on 114 Posts

I am in the car business and for me, as long as the person seems responsible then it isn't a problem. but like previously posted, a c5 isn't going to be a 30k car. its a 20k or lower so there shouldn't be a problem. I had a 19 year old wanting to take a zl1 out for a ride but yet had n o job and just wanted to drive it. sorry...he couldn't. a lot of it depends on the price of the car and the person. we have 2 used c6"S and I have no problem with people test driving them because they are potential buyers. if they turn you away and demand a credit check then run fast!!!!! just be yourself and be honest.

as previously posted, go to the car clubs, club guys are the nicest and understanding
Old 04-18-2014, 10:03 AM
Lee DeRaud
Melting Slicks

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

If you do goto the dealership don't be shocked if they want to send a salesman with you on the ride.
I've only had one instance where a salesman didn't go along for the ride...and it was a C5. He photocopied my license, gave me the keys, and said "Keep it the rest of the day, see how your wife likes it. Just have it back before we close."

Of course, the Corvette was the cheapest car on that lot by a huge margin: the guy specializes in high-end European.

Get notified of new replies

To Am I eligable for a test drive?

Old 04-18-2014, 10:07 AM
Lee DeRaud
Melting Slicks

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Black 02
On the flip side, nothing worse than pushy salesmen asking way too many personal questions and screaming "today, today, today!"
Or talking non-stop through the test drive, while you're trying to concentrate on how the car runs and handles.
Old 04-18-2014, 11:33 AM
c5zee
Advanced

The only time I've gone with younger guys for the test drive in fast cars was to simply make sure they don't grind the gears to death and dump the clutch at max rpm, and to actually see if they can control the vehicle out of the parking lot before they run a stop and kill someones family. Nothing worse than a liar who says they can drive stick and never have and want to learn on your car lol...I've seen it all

Also the ridealong keeps them from picking up friends for their "joyride" lol but usually they are babying it because I'm there, I tell em don't be a ***** give it some gas and be there to answer questions. They usually buy the car with dads help but I never push anyone to buy anything because if it's not for them they will be complaining later anyways and nobody needs that headache, we've had great success without high pressure tactics.

If a salesman asks you questions about your finances etc. before the test drive, it's only to determine if you are a real buyer with a license/finances and intent to buy, don't take it personally because there are just SO many people that just want to test drive a "hot" car like Na4Now that ruined peoples trust it would make your head spin...
Old 04-18-2014, 11:46 AM
c4gone
Drifting

Received 217 Likes on 114 Posts

the joyride is right. ive had test drives on cars and afterwards the person tells me they want to buy in a year or so. I understand people are wanting a feel of it, and that doesn't bother me at all as a salesman. but to other salesmen they see that as losing time and they will turn you away. what ive learned it just be honest. the car does depend also. a c5 wouldn't be a problem where I work. not at all. however, if you wanted to take out the showroom z51 stingray I can guarantee you will need an approval and everything ready to go. doesn't mean your not trusted but the liability for the type of vehicle.
everyones input here is very helpful. take the best way that you see fit

Quick Reply: Am I eligable for a test drive?