Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Worn Headlight Bracketing Causing Flickering of Beams?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2014, 07:01 PM
liquidforce917
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Worn Headlight Bracketing Causing Flickering of Beams?

So i was involved in an accident over a year ago in my Z06. It took out my passenger side headlight assembly. When I got the car back I noticed that the headlight lens was different from my OEM lens. I thought it was kinda ****** that they would give me a lens that was asymmetrical to the original, but it is not the end of the world.

Anyways, after my first drive at night with the car I noticed that the passenger headlight beam would flicker up and down every time i would hit a bump. It is very noticeable when reflecting off of street signs. It is now bothering me enough to want to fix this issue.

Also, I can feel play in the "bracketing" when I push up/down on the top of the headlight assembly in either the fully up or down position. This leads me to believe that the plastic gear is worn and has opened up larger gaps between each tooth or that there is some sort of wear that has occurred in the "bracketing" which moves with the headlight when traveling up and down.

Any information would be helpful, especially pictures or diagrams of the headlight assembly.

Thanks in advance

-Brian
Old 04-22-2014, 07:43 AM
3sACROWD
Melting Slicks

Received 441 Likes on 325 Posts

I don't think it is the gears (I could be wrong). Remove the cover and check the pivot bolts on the rear of the assembly. There is supposed to be a plastic bushing on these pivot bolts. I'm wondering if they didn't put those back on. Another item to check is the white tabs that are supposed to make contact with the light assembly when the lights are open. The white rubber / plastic may be missing or the tabs need to be adjusted to make contact with the assembly. Best advice is to compare your left light to the right light to see what is different.
Old 04-22-2014, 11:22 AM
DanSavage
Safety Car

Received 175 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by liquidforce917
Also, I can feel play in the "bracketing" when I push up/down on the top of the headlight assembly in either the fully up or down position. This leads me to believe that the plastic gear is worn and has opened up larger gaps between each tooth or that there is some sort of wear that has occurred in the "bracketing" which moves with the headlight when traveling up and down.
Hi Brian,

The problem is either that the sheet metal bumper mount got bent or that the rubber/nylon bumpers on the end of the mount are worn.

When I first got my `03, the driver's side flickered like you describe. I, too, noticed the play when the headlight was in the up-position.

I bought some new bumpers, but that didn't help. I looked a little closer and realized that I could simply take a pair of channel-locks and bend the mount that holds the bumper so that it contacted the stop a little sooner. I bent it about an 1/8" and voila! No more flickering.

Naturally, you'll want to use a rag between the mount and the pliers so you don't scratch the finish.

Dan
Old 04-22-2014, 11:58 AM
liquidforce917
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DanSavage
Hi Brian,

The problem is either that the sheet metal bumper mount got bent or that the rubber/nylon bumpers on the end of the mount are worn.

When I first got my `03, the driver's side flickered like you describe. I, too, noticed the play when the headlight was in the up-position.

I bought some new bumpers, but that didn't help. I looked a little closer and realized that I could simply take a pair of channel-locks and bend the mount that holds the bumper so that it contacted the stop a little sooner. I bent it about an 1/8" and voila! No more flickering.

Naturally, you'll want to use a rag between the mount and the pliers so you don't scratch the finish.

Dan
Thank you, I will try this first and if that doesn't fix my problems I will move on to checking anything that is different between he right and left assemblies.

Get notified of new replies

To Worn Headlight Bracketing Causing Flickering of Beams?

Quick Reply: Worn Headlight Bracketing Causing Flickering of Beams?