Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is a trunk subwoofer pointless with a partition?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2014, 09:10 PM
troyguitar
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Is a trunk subwoofer pointless with a partition?

I'm assuming the answer is yes since the bass notes would be muffled at best. If so, are there any other worthwhile bass coverage solutions that are compatible with partitions? (Z06/FRC is what I drive in particular)
Old 04-21-2014, 09:13 PM
Daddyrama31
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by troyguitar
I'm assuming the answer is yes since the bass notes would be muffled at best. If so, are there any other worthwhile bass coverage solutions that are compatible with partitions? (Z06/FRC is what I drive in particular)
No way sir, a partition will not effect the bass performance one bit. Bass is a vibration, your partition will block some sounds, not vibration. In fact, It may enhance the experience!!

Last edited by Daddyrama31; 04-21-2014 at 09:20 PM.
Old 04-21-2014, 09:13 PM
chris308
Melting Slicks

Received 103 Likes on 93 Posts

depends on what you push, but a partition made out of MDF is not going to make much of a difference.
Old 04-21-2014, 09:14 PM
aaronc7
Drifting

Received 297 Likes on 235 Posts

I can't say for sure if it's going to be better or worse with a partition, but I would imagine it would work just fine with the partition. Think about most sedans/coupes... trunk is totally separated from the cabin and most sub installs in the trunk sound just fine. I don't see why this would be any different.
Old 04-21-2014, 09:22 PM
troyguitar
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Weird. If I play my bass with the amp in another room it sounds like crap. Is this not the same thing?

Most cars with subs also sound like muffled garbage to me though... it could be a difference in expectations or I could just be wrong. I've never had any kind of high end car system before.

I have no interest in loud booming bass, only crisp clear low frequency response. Think intricate jazz bass lines or stuff like that. The clarity matters much more than the volume.
Old 04-21-2014, 09:26 PM
Daddyrama31
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Weird. If I play my bass with the amp in another room it sounds like crap. Is this not the same thing?

Most cars with subs also sound like muffled garbage to me though... it could be a difference in expectations or I could just be wrong. I've never had any kind of high end car system before.

I have no interest in loud booming bass, only crisp clear low frequency response. Think intricate jazz bass lines or stuff like that. The clarity matters much more than the volume.
Yes. However, it depends on how much power your amp puts out. The more power the larger the wave the more vibration you get. Bass is not volume it is a different frequency sound wave. Bass allows you to feel music through vibration. The sound comes from the highs and mids. Does that make sense? Any vibration you feel in live music or recorded comes from a bass frequency. When you drive next to a car and all you hear is the trunk or quarter panels vibrating and it sounds like crap, that's because you are shielded from the highs and lows that are inside the car.

Last edited by Daddyrama31; 04-21-2014 at 09:36 PM.
Old 04-21-2014, 10:51 PM
PhysicsDude55
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I think in a house the sound of a subwoofer in other rooms is as much a factor of the sound waves traveling through large spaces and interacting with each other in bad ways than it is of just a partition between you and the subwoofer. Also, walls in houses are double layered of material designed to muffle noises, and possibly insulated. That's a lot more than just a single piece of wood in a very small interior space of a corvette.

For instance, if you are in a room and playing a bass guitar through an amp, try putting the amp/speaker in the closet and close the door. Also try putting the amp/speaker in the middle of the room, and then try putting it in the corner of the room. Depending on the room and frequency range that you're playing, the bass likely sounds better in the corner rather than the center, but having the closet door open or shut probably doesn't change the sound that much.

When I was in high school I had an old crappy Ford Taurus with a pair of 12" subs in the back, with the subwoofers right up against the rear seats. Sometimes I would take the rear seats out to try to make the bass louder, but I found that it didn't really make much any difference.

TL;DR Having a partition will not make a big difference in how a subwoofer sounds in a corvette.

Last edited by PhysicsDude55; 04-21-2014 at 10:54 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Is a trunk subwoofer pointless with a partition?

Quick Reply: Is a trunk subwoofer pointless with a partition?