First Gear Griding

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2014, 04:40 PM
drewkeen
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default First Gear Griding

2002 Z06 with 39k miles

When I shift into first gear it grinds 75% of the time. It happens less if I ease into gear or go to 2nd gear first. Car has brand new slave, new Tick Master cylinder, New pilot bearing and a new RPS Twin disc clutch.

Trans fluid is old, but would that even have an effect on going into first gear while sitting completely still?

Where should I start to get rid of this? It is embarassing to have such a nice car and look like I have no idea how to shift gears.
Old 04-26-2014, 08:36 AM
unrthdxdream
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From my experience, transmission fluid can make a huge improvement! When I bought my C5, every time I took it out, I would get locked out of first gear, or grind going into it, etc. at least once. Having to start in second was getting embarrassing. Also, if I shifted into 5th gear before letting the rpms settle below 2000rpm with the clutch in I would get a little grind.

I drained the factory fluid and put in Royal Purple Syncromesh and have zero problems. I didn't expect this much improvement and am very happy. Did this over a year ago and still problem free.
Old 04-26-2014, 08:57 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 226 Posts

You better use 2nd to access 1st until you fix your issue or you WILL damage the Tranny.

Have you checked your shifter alignment/adjustment?

I would verify the physical clutch disengagement clearance if new fluid and adjustment don't help.
Old 04-29-2014, 04:22 PM
drewkeen
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Bump. Searching for best fluid options and will check adjustment on my tick master again tonight.
Old 04-29-2014, 08:04 PM
torchredmadness
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I would have to take it to my "Corvette" guy. With all of the new parts you have I would think it would be an easy fix. With the low miles on the car I don't think changing fluid is going to do it. Good luck and let us know what the problem was.

Get notified of new replies

To First Gear Griding

Quick Reply: First Gear Griding