Sponsored by:

Stance Coilovers

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2014, 10:58 AM
sean.b
Drifting

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by FYRARMS
Stance coilovers are made in South Korea, last I read. Their US office is here in the Chicago suburbs. Many local guys have dealt with them directly and have had a pleasant experience. Stance coilovers are very popular in the professional drifting scene, and they are definitely put to the test. They seem to have a good reputation.

Remember, people who have problems are generally the only ones who post comments on the web. The satisfied people rarely post. If you search, you will find that some people on this forum have had problems with "other" popular coilover brands...
valid post, and good points. my only two things to say are that $1200 is baaarely cheaper than getting used LG's. and between the two, i'd rather personally have LG. of course, that assumes there's used LG's falling from the sky, and there generally arent. if buying new, for the street, and knowing i'd never track it, then Stance is an option. i dont know how much exposure you have to the drift scene, but those cars get the ever loving **** beat out of them. no part is expected to work, or perform with the precision of a road race car, for very long. Whereas if your coilover fails and you hit a car at an HPDE, and then a wall, or they hit the wall, you're out your car, their car, the wall, towing, etc. that $1000 saved is going to rapidly look very small, in that case. barring that, however.. meh. thats what insurance is for!

my biggest problem with Pfadt was them going out of business! still that happened.
Old 05-14-2014, 11:09 AM
Black 02
Safety Car

Received 427 Likes on 316 Posts

Originally Posted by sean.b
valid post, and good points. my only two things to say are that $1200 is baaarely cheaper than getting used LG's. and between the two, i'd rather personally have LG. of course, that assumes there's used LG's falling from the sky, and there generally arent. if buying new, for the street, and knowing i'd never track it, then Stance is an option. i dont know how much exposure you have to the drift scene, but those cars get the ever loving **** beat out of them. no part is expected to work, or perform with the precision of a road race car, for very long. Whereas if your coilover fails and you hit a car at an HPDE, and then a wall, or they hit the wall, you're out your car, their car, the wall, towing, etc. that $1000 saved is going to rapidly look very small, in that case. barring that, however.. meh. thats what insurance is for!

my biggest problem with Pfadt was them going out of business! still that happened.
Are you really suggesting that drift cars are built with lower quality parts and that's ok because they are just drift cars?
Old 05-14-2014, 11:12 AM
sean.b
Drifting

Originally Posted by Black 02
Are you really suggesting that drift cars are built with lower quality parts and that's ok because they are just drift cars?
not the pro grade ones, but the average one? yea. exactly what im saying. and they're beaten up so fast that they dont use parts as long as even HPDE/NASA/SCCA cars do.
Old 05-14-2014, 11:24 AM
alxltd1
Melting Slicks

Received 113 Likes on 99 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

I have the Stance coil overs on my 2000 coupe along with C6 Z06 sway bars. They have performed without issue. They have allowed me to lower the car without sacrificing ride quality. I have not slammed the car, but it is lowered about 3/4 inch in front and 1 inch in the rear. The coils are set at the just over the mid point (towards firmer) and it rides and handles very well. I have not tracked the car but do drive it spiritedly on twisty roads. Bought them through Dennis about a year and a half ago. Currently the car is in the shop finishing wide body fender installs and C6 Grand Sport wheels and big brakes. Overall I have been very pleased. And if we are going to avoid foreign made parts on our C5's we better then start looking at all the OEM parts that are made in Mexico, Canada, and else where. Others may have different opinions on Stance and experiences. Some will always go the " you get what you pay for" line and assume $1300 is just to cheap to be a quality product, then again high price does not always equal quality, it sometimes just means the vendor has over priced their product because they have a market willing to pay a premium. The adjustment process on the Stance coil overs is not as easy as the LG or some others, but that was not a major consideration for me. So do your research and then make your decision. Good luck.
Old 05-14-2014, 11:27 AM
sean.b
Drifting

Originally Posted by alxltd1
I have the Stance coil overs on my 2000 coupe along with C6 Z06 sway bars. They have performed without issue. They have allowed me to lower the car without sacrificing ride quality. I have not slammed the car, but it is lowered about 3/4 inch in front and 1 inch in the rear. The coils are set at the just over the mid point (towards firmer) and it rides and handles very well. I have not tracked the car but do drive it spiritedly on twisty roads. Bought them through Dennis about a year and a half ago. Currently the car is in the shop finishing wide body fender installs and C6 Grand Sport wheels and big brakes. Overall I have been very pleased. And if we are going to avoid foreign made parts on our C5's we better then start looking at all the OEM parts that are made in Mexico, Canada, and else where. Others may have different opinions on Stance and experiences. Some will always go the " you get what you pay for" line and assume $1300 is just to cheap to be a quality product, then again high price does not always equal quality, it sometimes just means the vendor has over priced their product because they have a market willing to pay a premium. The adjustment process on the Stance coil overs is not as easy as the LG or some others, but that was not a major consideration for me. So do your research and then make your decision. Good luck.
how many miles do you have on them? not questioning (good post, btw) just curious.
Old 05-14-2014, 11:28 AM
Black 02
Safety Car

not the pro grade ones, but the average one? yea. exactly what im saying. and they're beaten up so fast that they dont use parts as long as even HPDE/NASA/SCCA cars do.
Ignorance is bliss.
Old 05-14-2014, 11:35 AM
alxltd1
Melting Slicks

how many miles do you have on them? not questioning (good post, btw) just curious.
About 4000.
Old 05-14-2014, 11:41 AM
sean.b
Drifting

Ignorance is bliss.
dont you have a 240 with 6 different colored body panels you should be defending elsewhere on the internet?
Old 05-14-2014, 11:44 AM
kasper-pA-
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05, '14, '15

With the stance coilovers, what is needed to adjust ride comfort/firmness and ride height? Is it easy or takes some time?
Old 05-14-2014, 12:12 PM
alxltd1
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by kasper-pA-
With the stance coilovers, what is needed to adjust ride comfort/firmness and ride height? Is it easy or takes some time?
The adjustments for dampening requires you to remove the coil over to reach the **** to turn it to the setting. Height adjustments require the use of a spanner wrench to turn/screw the housing to the height you desire, which will be a trial and error process. So yes it is not a process that you do in a couple of minutes and without a lift can be quite onerous. Having said that, I dont change the settings that frequently actually not at all unless new tires/wheels are being installed or some other major change to suspension is involved. I started with changing springs to C5 Z51, then C5 Z06, shocks from C6 Z06 to Bilsteins, sway bars from stock to C5 Z06 and lowering first on stock bolts to aftermarket. When I kept bottoming out the shocks regardless of the shock/spring combo and the ride was not at all pleasant (I dont mean I expected a plush luxury car soft ride, but a firm supple ride), I decided to go coil overs. Given my requirements and the market offerings at the time, Stance, LG, PFADT, QA1 I chose the Stance.
Old 05-14-2014, 12:14 PM
Black 02
Safety Car

dont you have a 240 with 6 different colored body panels you should be defending elsewhere on the internet?
Nope, I've never owned a Nissan.

I've only been to one drift event. Many of the cars were LS swapped and seemed to be done very nicely. The exteriors were all beat to hell but I don't see how that's much different than cars in primer running 9's at the drag strip. Exterior appearance is not everyone's number one priority.

There are people like you on every forum. No experience with a specific product, but you go out of your way to bash it all while recommending much more expensive options that you also have no experience with.
Old 05-14-2014, 12:36 PM
sean.b
Drifting

Nope, I've never owned a Nissan.

I've only been to one drift event. Many of the cars were LS swapped and seemed to be done very nicely. The exteriors were all beat to hell but I don't see how that's much different than cars in primer running 9's at the drag strip. Exterior appearance is not everyone's number one priority.

There are people like you on every forum. No experience with a specific product, but you go out of your way to bash it all while recommending much more expensive options that you also have no experience with.
oh, we're comparing sizes. ok then.

of my 6 cars, one 240 was previously a drift car (now a boring shell) with a turbo ka24de which i still have 2 of, 2 dragsters (both Nova's, one 406 based, the other 383 based, both sprayed, both on fairbanks the350's), 1 Nova im piecing together a turbo 5.3 LQ for, the c5 is a trailer queen hpde/ta/pdx type of car with pfadt coilover, pfadt sway, 243s i ported, g5x1 cam, oil cooler, ecklers tie rod ends, PFC-Z brakes, wilwood brake fluid, dewitts radiator, swapped from an RPM 4l60e (when it was drag) to a semi built up mm12, lightened all around with no ac, air pump, stereo, light battery, etc. most of my cars have more in performance parts than their original purchase price, because i build it all myself. others are Acura TL's i just built to 300hp because it ate it's timing belt and i was bored, the truck to pull them to events, stuff like that. i have garages built in 2 zipcodes. if you want pics or video to confirm it, ive put plenty online. hell, you can probably google me

but hey, you've been to one whole event. dont let me tell you how anything works.

if you're done comparing e-peens, ill go back to my original statement: most drift cars are not built to that high of a quality because they're beaten up too fast. unless you're sponsored, it can be a money grinder, and a solid rear axle car going sideways is hardly applicable to an IRS car built with handling in mind. likewise, if you have to remove them to adjust dampening, to hell with that!

our bickering here isnt contributing, whereas others are posting useful info, so, truce?

Last edited by sean.b; 05-14-2014 at 12:40 PM.
Old 05-14-2014, 12:56 PM
Black 02
Safety Car

Did you really just list all of your worldly possessions in an attempt to qualify your opinion?

So since you've owned so much, I can only assume you've already tried this brand of coilovers and had bad luck? If so, where is your review of them?

P.s. congrats on two garages

P.p.s. congrats on owning a bunch of old cars
Old 05-14-2014, 01:00 PM
Maxx_Z06
Safety Car

Received 277 Likes on 85 Posts
C5 COTM Coordinator

Ignorance is bliss.
Did you really just list all of your worldly possessions in an attempt to qualify your opinion?

So since you've owned so much, I can only assume you've already tried this brand of coilovers and had bad luck? If so, where is your review of them?

Last edited by Maxx_Z06; 05-14-2014 at 01:02 PM.
Old 05-14-2014, 01:01 PM
sean.b
Drifting

read my *first* post. in fact, any of them. i never said anything inherently was wrong with them, just that comparing them to drift cars is inapplicable. and yes, i own old cars that i fix up and take to tracks. that's what i enjoy doing. i love creating something thats my own, i love pushing it to it's limits, and i love meeting people who love doing that instead of spending money on new, shiny things, to impress people i dont know, i invest it.

PS: you're in a forums for a car that ended production 10 years ago.
PPS: where are your coilovers?..
Old 05-14-2014, 01:05 PM
Pirateslife4me
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

I have the Stance coil overs on my 2000 coupe along with C6 Z06 sway bars. They have performed without issue. They have allowed me to lower the car without sacrificing ride quality. I have not slammed the car, but it is lowered about 3/4 inch in front and 1 inch in the rear. The coils are set at the just over the mid point (towards firmer) and it rides and handles very well. I have not tracked the car but do drive it spiritedly on twisty roads. The adjustment process on the Stance coil overs is not as easy as the LG or some others, but that was not a major consideration for me. So do your research and then make your decision. Good luck.
You sound very similar to me as far as how you use your car. I just went with the c6 z51 bars and have lowered the car all the way on stock bolts. The biggest thing is as I said in the beginning is that I have the F45 suspension that I don't want on my car any more. So considered going with the c6 z06 shocks but hell maybe I should just go the coil over route which is what I want anyway and be done.

Ive been searching and reading posts on several forums and so far nothing really bad about the Stance coil overs from those that own them. Are they $3000+ coil overs? No…. but do guys that use there car for street use and just want a way to lower the car and improve factory suspension (especially with the F45 option) really going to get the most out of a set of $3000+ coil overs? probably not.

I've checked the import guys and many 350z guys running them and tracking their cars with them and all seem pretty satisfied. I checked out the Stance-usa web site and looks legit and actually more geared toward the race crowd than the street crowd. They have them for tons of cars including the BMW M3, Porsche 966, nissan 350z and 370z, Acura NSX… etc Seems to me like any of the guys that would own one of those would be just as concerned about putting potential garbage on their cars as we would be.

The LG appeals to me for ease of adjustablity however I don't really foresee any real need to mess with settings once I have it set up where I want it since once again I don't track my car. So I'm thinking giving the STANCE set a shot. Even though I may get snubbed by the Pfadt guys I think these even though I'm sure do not compare will be an improvement from what I currently have. When I do bite the bullet, I will definitely do a write up on the install and document it since I haven't really found that on any of the forums.
Old 05-14-2014, 01:06 PM
sean.b
Drifting

Originally Posted by Maxx_Z06
he said i had no experience in the brands mentioned, i was just invalidating that. ive built several cars, assisted friends in building their track cars, and put these products on tracks

Originally Posted by Pirateslife4me
The LG appeals to me for ease of adjustablity however I don't really foresee any real need to mess with settings once I have it set up where I want it since once again I don't track my car.
not snubbing and not knocking these for a non-track car, but can you not cut holes like the gen1 pfadts to adjust these? or is the entire adjusting assembly under the shock mount?

Last edited by sean.b; 05-14-2014 at 01:09 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Stance Coilovers

Old 05-14-2014, 01:16 PM
Black 02
Safety Car

read my *first* post. in fact, any of them. i never said anything inherently was wrong with them, just that comparing them to drift cars is inapplicable. and yes, i own old cars that i fix up and take to tracks. that's what i enjoy doing. i love creating something thats my own, i love pushing it to it's limits, and i love meeting people who love doing that instead of spending money on new, shiny things, to impress people i dont know, i invest it.

PS: you're in a forums for a car that ended production 10 years ago.
PPS: where are your coilovers?..
So no direct experience, but you wouldn't recommend them. Understood.

Drifting and drag racing isn't a good way to invest your money, but what do I know? If you aren't trying to impress others, why list everything you own in a thread where nobody asked?

As far as where are my coilovers, I don't have any on my Z. I have BC Racings on my other car and another set of BCs waiting to go on my DD. I also had a set of them on a car I recently sold.

I'm not one for depreciation or brand new cars, which is why I am in this forum. All of my vehicles are old and I don't mind because I repair them as needed and move on with life.
Old 05-14-2014, 02:21 PM
alxltd1
Melting Slicks

but can you not cut holes like the gen1 pfadts to adjust these? or is the entire adjusting assembly under the shock mount?
I had to remove the coil over to adjust but I see now that Stance has an extension (link attached) for $50 per pair. So I will be looking into these, but as I said earlier I dont have reason to chnage the setting often.

http://www.stance-usa.com/sus/produc...****-extension
Old 06-12-2014, 12:41 PM
Eric240
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Alex Talbott 2012 NASA ST2 National Championship Race Winner

Here's the "in car" at Mid Ohio if anyone is interested.

I also was the 2013 SCCA June Sprints Champion at Road America in Super Touring Under in an STI with Stance Coilovers.

Both of these cars used the exact same hardware as the street models, the only change was in the shim stacks. What works on the street well, won't be perfect on the track and vice versa. If they know enough to make a coilover ride great on the street, and can then tune that damper to win races at the track over and over, then they are ok in my book.

I would never compare Function and Form or Blackworks with Stance Suspension. I'll never understand why people chime in on review threads with "rock solid" assumptions and hearsay.

I've been running the Stance super sports on my C5 for 2 years. She's my daily 9 months out of the year. I've never had a single hiccup and I love the way it rides. I know I've sold a few people on them just by giving ride a longs.

Last edited by Eric240; 06-12-2014 at 05:07 PM.

Quick Reply: Stance Coilovers