Sponsored by:

Stance Coilovers

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2014, 10:50 AM
Pirateslife4me
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Stance Coilovers

Kinda thinking about suspension upgrades in the near future. I remember a while back everyone seemed really pleased with the STANCE coilover conversion. Just wondering how they are holding up for those of you that have had them on your car for a while now.

I have the (dreaded by many) F45 suspension on my car and although it works fine and all the shocks are still in good shape been thinking of getting rid of it for either the C6 Z06 shocks or just going ahead and going with the Stance Coilovers (leaning more toward the latter) The price still seems really good compared to what they were a while back when I first heard of them. So just wondering what y'all thought of them now and if you had any input.
Old 05-13-2014, 01:11 PM
sean.b
Drifting

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

if you want coils, and dont want to spend $3000+, go LG.

if you just want to lower it, or get some reliability or slightly improved handling, you can stay with shocks/springs and do that for far less $$.
Old 05-13-2014, 02:25 PM
Pirateslife4me
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by sean.b
if you want coils, and dont want to spend $3000+, go LG.

if you just want to lower it, or get some reliability or slightly improved handling, you can stay with shocks/springs and do that for far less $$.
I definitely want it lower but I also want decent ride and handling. I could remove front bolts get longer bolts for rear and go with the c6 z06 shocks or Bilsteins but those in the know generally say ride and performance will suffer. So it sounds like Coil overs is what I am looking for but you are correct I don't want to spend $3000+
Old 05-13-2014, 02:35 PM
sean.b
Drifting

i dont know anything specifically negative to say about Stance, other than they're a very popular, very cheap option with the import crowd. that alone scares me. and not because im one of those "omgerd its a vette, must spend the most possible!".. on the contrary, i'm using OBX headers, do my own port/polish, my own tune, my own aligning, etc.

i just stay away from options when their largest selling point is how cheap they are, unless like my OBX headers, it's non-moving tubes of metal.
Old 05-13-2014, 03:19 PM
Pirateslife4me
Burning Brakes

i dont know anything specifically negative to say about Stance, other than they're a very popular, very cheap option with the import crowd. that alone scares me. and not because im one of those "omgerd its a vette, must spend the most possible!".. on the contrary, i'm using OBX headers, do my own port/polish, my own tune, my own aligning, etc.

i just stay away from options when their largest selling point is how cheap they are, unless like my OBX headers, it's non-moving tubes of metal.
LOL I hear ya man, I had no idea about STANCE other than what i've read here. Never really was part of the import scene except for mini trucks back in the early 90's so had no idea that was their main audience. what you say makes sense. I'm not into finding the cheapest route on anything I do but like you also not into blowing money just for the sake of blowing money. I do want quality but I don't need race car performance or durability my car is never tracked it's only street driven and is my toy so something decent for street use only is what I'm looking for.
Old 05-13-2014, 03:28 PM
sean.b
Drifting

Originally Posted by Pirateslife4me
LOL I hear ya man, I had no idea about STANCE other than what i've read here. Never really was part of the import scene except for mini trucks back in the early 90's so had no idea that was their main audience. what you say makes sense. I'm not into finding the cheapest route on anything I do but like you also not into blowing money just for the sake of blowing money. I do want quality but I don't need race car performance or durability my car is never tracked it's only street driven and is my toy so something decent for street use only is what I'm looking for.
oh, well, if you have no intentions of tracking it, they may very well be fine. i'd still research the available shock options and what people have said, cus i can tell you now my Pfadts are NOT an ultra comfy street ride. but i bought them for the track, specifically. and checking stance coilover prices, the buggers are ~$1200. for not much more AT ALL you can find people selling their LG's and Pfadts for that much (beware Pfadt being out of business and having to find people to rebuild them is an active and new issue as of late).

so that said, these people saying their coilovers didnt suffer ride quality must have them set to their full-mush softest setting. at which point, turning feels like being stuck in mud. i guess that works fine for daily driving, though. if you want ride quality, you have to set them to be very soft rebound, and/or use higher sidewall ratio tires, which doesnt fit into the sexy ground-pounder look i think you're probably aiming for if you want to ride ultra low with low ratio sidewalls, its gonna suck at least a little.

btw there are adjustable shocks for our cars.. cant remember if they were cheap or the crazy expensive ones, though.

Last edited by sean.b; 05-13-2014 at 03:32 PM.
Old 05-13-2014, 03:41 PM
4deatr
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have them I got them from a forum member. They are ok but very loud when you run over bump or pothole at low speed. On the highway they are great cornering is good also. I'm working with Stance now on how loud they are.
Old 05-13-2014, 03:50 PM
sean.b
Drifting

Originally Posted by 4deatr
I have them I got them from a forum member. They are ok but very loud when you run over bump or pothole at low speed. On the highway they are great cornering is good also. I'm working with Stance now on how loud they are.
have any video? or anything you can relate/compare it to? cus mine (pfadt gen 1's) are pretty loud too, but i didnt think that was unusual. whole car is pretty loud. or do you mean its actually making a rattling sound from the springs/units themselves? cus that shouldnt be the case..
Old 05-13-2014, 04:08 PM
racebum
Race Director

Received 153 Likes on 146 Posts

don't buy chineese shocks. the LG or KW's aren't all that expensive, can be serviced and actually have decent valving. tires, brake pads and suspension components are places you don't want to be cheap
Old 05-13-2014, 04:10 PM
sean.b
Drifting

Originally Posted by racebum
don't buy chineese shocks. the LG or KW's aren't all that expensive, can be serviced and actually have decent valving. tires, brake pads and suspension components are places you don't want to be cheap
very inclined to agree, here.. the idea of Chinese parts on any part of the car that can cause an accident =
Old 05-13-2014, 04:16 PM
racebum
Race Director

Received 153 Likes on 146 Posts

very inclined to agree, here.. the idea of Chinese parts on any part of the car that can cause an accident =
totally

form & function, blackworks, stance. have seen them on cars posted on honda tech. some of the failures aren't pretty. shocks blowing out spewing oil. cracks in the aluminum.

KW is used in the subaru rally cars and is the OE for the viper ACR

LG uses bilstein if i remember right

either way you have OEM level quality that can be had starting around 2000
Old 05-13-2014, 04:38 PM
0Double D Mods
Former Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 132 Likes on 101 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

I will note the Stance are not available till mid June again. We have sold them out of inventory 3 months in row
Old 05-14-2014, 07:34 AM
4deatr
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

have any video? or anything you can relate/compare it to? cus mine (pfadt gen 1's) are pretty loud too, but i didnt think that was unusual. whole car is pretty loud. or do you mean its actually making a rattling sound from the springs/units themselves? cus that shouldnt be the case..
To me it like metal on metal larger bushings would probably help. I don't have a video my car is so loud you would never hear it.
Old 05-14-2014, 08:33 AM
Pirateslife4me
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Double D Mods
I will note the Stance are not available till mid June again. We have sold them out of inventory 3 months in row
Dennis, do run these on your cars? How many sets have you sold (rough estimate), any feedback from your customers? I know there was a lot of interest in them a while back and comparisons to the gen1 pfdat so where are all the owners of the Stance coil overs? Did they miss this thread?

I do really appreciate all the input and you guys all voice what i have been wondering as well. And LG is a really nice looking coil over and seems to be the other option. I really don't care if a company sells a lot to the rice market. If a company sells suspension products it only makes businesses sense that they sell to as large a market as possible. A sway bar does the exact same thing on a Honda Civic as it does on our corvettes. A coilover shock serves the same purpose for every car they go on. If you're going to design it well you're going to design it well for every car that you offer it for. I thought i read somewhere that one of the owners of Stance has a c5 and that's how they got into the corvette market, making a set for his car. I also thought i read that the parts were made in Japan but assembled here in the US.

We can all speculate on quality vs. price but the guys that actually own them and currently or no longer run with them would truly know. The question is where are they?
Old 05-14-2014, 08:35 AM
Pirateslife4me
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 4deatr

To me it like metal on metal larger bushings would probably help. I don't have a video my car is so loud you would never hear it.
That certainly doesn't sound good.
Old 05-14-2014, 10:15 AM
funnyguyMI
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

You can find posts on this if you search titles for "stance". There are a few people that are running them. Not nearly as many as are running the LGs though. From what I recall during my research, I found no complaints from the guys who are running them. And, a lot of replies from other guys who won't buy them because they are cheap(er) (not that there's anything wrong with that, to each their own..). They are made in ... Indiana? I think?, and have a good record with the imports. I don't consider that a mark against them. I've got an order in with Dennis and am waiting for more to come in.. :-/

IMO, these seem like a good option for people who are sticking to street driving for the most part with an occasional day at the track. If you are doing a lot of track events, you might be more interested in something a little more robust, with easier adjustability like the LGs. My $.02 anyway..
Old 05-14-2014, 10:20 AM
Black 02
Safety Car

Received 427 Likes on 316 Posts

I wish BC Racing had something for the C5/6 platform. They seem to be the best choice in the lower cost spectrum.

Get notified of new replies

To Stance Coilovers

Old 05-14-2014, 10:27 AM
f6john
Melting Slicks

Received 223 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by Pirateslife4me
That certainly doesn't sound good.
I'm thinking that a metal on metal sound would be from improper setup or installation unless some part has failed and needs to be replaced. I bought a set of Pfadt gen1 coil-overs from a local guy who recently purchased a C5. He told me after the sale that he had a noise coming from the front on one side he attributed to the coil-over. One of the front coilovers had no preload on the spring when I got them from him but since I could not be there when he pulled them off I don't know if that was the issue or not. I am also missing a rubber mounting spacer for one of the front coilovers and I don't know if it was lost during the removal proceedure or if it was missing from the original install.

I'm still in a pickle as I bought these about a month before the closure of Pfadt so I'm still trying to source the "bushing" I need. And, even though I have Pfadt's installation instructions, they don't include instructions for setting spring preload.
Old 05-14-2014, 10:53 AM
FYRARMS
Le Mans Master

Received 3,221 Likes on 1,583 Posts

Stance coilovers are made in South Korea, last I read. Their US office is here in the Chicago suburbs. Many local guys have dealt with them directly and have had a pleasant experience. Stance coilovers are very popular in the professional drifting scene, and they are definitely put to the test. They seem to have a good reputation.

Remember, people who have problems are generally the only ones who post comments on the web. The satisfied people rarely post. If you search, you will find that some people on this forum have had problems with "other" popular coilover brands...
Old 05-14-2014, 10:56 AM
0Double D Mods
Former Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 132 Likes on 101 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

the noise issue is usually the bushings. Most do not reuse the stock bushings and thats the trouble. You must use them or aftermarket.

Quick Reply: Stance Coilovers