Sponsored by:

Rear o2 sensor, is it worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2014, 04:59 AM
paloalto00
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rear o2 sensor, is it worth it?

I keep getting the check engine light for this booger, and it'll cost me damn near $300 to replace. Is it worth it, does it even effect the drivability of my car?
Old 05-15-2014, 05:52 AM
baxsom
Le Mans Master

Received 196 Likes on 116 Posts

The rear 02s tell you the health of your cats. You can get them tuned out easily.
Old 05-15-2014, 06:51 AM
Cybermind
Melting Slicks

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by baxsom
The rear 02s tell you the health of your cats. You can get them tuned out easily.

The rear O2's only job is to monitor the health of your cats and front O2 sensors. They do not affect driveability. However, if the rears are causing your CEL, then yeah, you need to replace them.

However, before you do.........have you ever changed the front O2 sensors? If not, I would start with those first. It may well take care of your CEL. Your rear O2's may be simply telling you that your controlling (front) O2 sensors have become lazy.

I know that when I changed my front O2 sensors as preventive maintenance, I was amazed at the difference I felt. The engine simply felt more responsive and the exhaust sound changed slightly. It just felt more alive. Using my real-time OBD2 scanner, I could see how much quicker the new O2 sensors were switching when compared to the older ones.

I am a strong believer in changing O2 sensors as preventive maintenance, the same way you would change spark plugs.
Old 05-15-2014, 05:17 PM
paloalto00
Racer

Originally Posted by Cybermind

The rear O2's only job is to monitor the health of your cats and front O2 sensors. They do not affect driveability. However, if the rears are causing your CEL, then yeah, you need to replace them.

However, before you do.........have you ever changed the front O2 sensors? If not, I would start with those first. It may well take care of your CEL. Your rear O2's may be simply telling you that your controlling (front) O2 sensors have become lazy.

I know that when I changed my front O2 sensors as preventive maintenance, I was amazed at the difference I felt. The engine simply felt more responsive and the exhaust sound changed slightly. It just felt more alive. Using my real-time OBD2 scanner, I could see how much quicker the new O2 sensors were switching when compared to the older ones.

I am a strong believer in changing O2 sensors as preventive maintenance, the same way you would change spark plugs.
My code was P0161, so I don't think it was telling me about the front sensors.. or I could be mistaken
Old 05-15-2014, 05:35 PM
RedZMonte
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I would spend the $$ and get a tune... tune out the rears and call it a day. do you have stock manifolds or headers? could also be a short in the wire if it got melted or rubbed threw. either way, i would have them tuned out..

ESC and COW both should be able to get you setup on a mail order tune if you dont have a local tuner.
Old 05-15-2014, 05:37 PM
paloalto00
Racer

Originally Posted by RedZMonte
I would spend the $$ and get a tune... tune out the rears and call it a day. do you have stock manifolds or headers? could also be a short in the wire if it got melted or rubbed threw. either way, i would have them tuned out..

ESC and COW both should be able to get you setup on a mail order tune if you dont have a local tuner.
Everything is stock, the light only came on after I ran the car hard

Get notified of new replies

To Rear o2 sensor, is it worth it?

Quick Reply: Rear o2 sensor, is it worth it?