Sponsored by:

Larger wheels = need for splash guards!

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2014, 09:34 AM
imgn tht
Melting Slicks

Received 158 Likes on 131 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13, '15
Default Larger wheels = need for splash guards!

Yikes, I just installed my new 18x9.5 front and 19x11 rear Forgestars after waiting 8 weeks for them. On the very first drive down the street, I instantly noticed all the rocks and crud kicking up against the side of the car. Guess I need to do some splash guard shopping.

Kinda sucks as I'm not a huge fan of them, but also not a fan paint chipping.

I did some brief research last night on this site and will do more today. Hoping to have slim design without too much modification(if any) and no holes necessary except at the bottom. Cost is a factor too, like to be under $100-$120 if possible. Probably have to do both front and back. I've heard of Apsis, L5, C6 Z06, ???

Any feedback from other users on specific brand that fits this bill and best place to purchase from?

Here is the car...
[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 05-22-2014, 09:42 AM
Jeff T.
Race Director

Received 1,090 Likes on 797 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

I did plenty of searching as well. The term fit is subjective. I did find a YouTube video where someone removed the splashguards after a few months. There was a definite line in the clearcoat. Based on that alone I will be using one of the clear films.

Good Luck with your search.
Old 05-22-2014, 09:50 AM
imgn tht
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '13, '15

I thought about a clear film as well. Would be more subtle of a look, but was concerned how it would hold up and I'd still dread hearing the impact noises of debris against the car.
Old 05-22-2014, 10:07 AM
jdvann
Melting Slicks

Received 451 Likes on 253 Posts

Couple of links to ponder...

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-g...guard-kit.html

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-g...he-wheels.html
Old 05-22-2014, 10:17 AM
gtrslngrchris
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just installed the Apsis rears and I like them enough. They're attached with 3 screws however so they don't quite meet your criteria. The fit on them is decent, perhaps with a 4th screw they could be willed into submission completely but with 3 it's still an adequate fit I think. They charge $25 for a laughable "rubber gasket" that is basically hard rubber moulding wrapped around the side that touches the outside of the fender and I would think is almost as likely to cause the same damage to the clearcoat/paint as a naked splash guard.

Despite the harsh sounding words I think they're good but they're certainly damn expensive for what you get.

Name:  GeC5nbO.jpg
Views: 7
Size:  152.2 KB
Name:  JmvraZ1.jpg
Views: 4
Size:  160.2 KB
Name:  XoiSBkQ.jpg
Size:  180.3 KB
Name:  HcrHXVC.jpg
Size:  198.0 KB
Old 05-22-2014, 10:20 AM
troyguitar
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I just ordered the RPI small ones for $50 the other day. I have not received them or my bigger wheels/tires yet to test though.

http://www.rpidesigns.com/shop/item.aspx?itemid=1949
Old 05-22-2014, 10:22 AM
3boystoys
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I have a new set of the Z06 flaps (like on the Red car above) I was going to put on mine and decided to keep the ones I have. PM me if you want them at a discount.

I think we're close to each other, I'm also in the Western burbs. I have these and think the protect better even though they aren't as discreet.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/140342445339...84.m1423.l2649

Last edited by 3boystoys; 05-22-2014 at 10:26 AM.
Old 05-22-2014, 10:27 AM
imgn tht
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '13, '15

The RPI ones are starting to grow on me as they are "stealthy". Just wondering how they work with the wider wheels. I'd love to see pictures straight on from the side like the last red pic above. For me that is the angle the kills the look the most for me. From the rear the black color blends in with the tire, so it is not as noticeable.

I'm also noticing how the L5 and Apsis units go so far up the fender well. Maybe they need to be that tall to adequately protect with wider wheels? In that case the RPI ones won't do me very good at all.
Old 05-22-2014, 10:32 AM
bjones7131
Safety Car

Received 845 Likes on 592 Posts

I like the looks of them on the red vette, very nice
Old 05-22-2014, 10:58 AM
imgn tht
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '13, '15

Originally Posted by 3boystoys
I have a new set of the Z06 flaps (like on the Red car above) I was going to put on mine and decided to keep the ones I have. PM me if you want them at a discount.

I think we're close to each other, I'm also in the Western burbs. I have these and think the protect better even though they aren't as discreet.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/140342445339...84.m1423.l2649
Is your Z06 set for front and rear?
Old 05-22-2014, 11:50 AM
troyguitar
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by imgn tht
The RPI ones are starting to grow on me as they are "stealthy". Just wondering how they work with the wider wheels. I'd love to see pictures straight on from the side like the last red pic above. For me that is the angle the kills the look the most for me. From the rear the black color blends in with the tire, so it is not as noticeable.

I'm also noticing how the L5 and Apsis units go so far up the fender well. Maybe they need to be that tall to adequately protect with wider wheels? In that case the RPI ones won't do me very good at all.
Yeah I don't know if the small ones will be good enough or not but I figured they are worth a shot. When my wheels show up and get mounted I'll try to share some pics.

There is also a bigger set that RPI sells for $150 but they only have one little picture of it on their site.

http://www.rpidesigns.com/shop/item.aspx?itemid=971

I live on a gravel road and drive the car a lot so the protection is going to be important to me.
Old 05-22-2014, 12:07 PM
FYRARMS
Le Mans Master

Received 3,225 Likes on 1,586 Posts

My car was equipped with a full 3M clear bra kit. It covered the front bumper, half the hood, the mirrors, the rockers, and behind the rear wheels. After over 83K street and highway miles (most spent rolling on 305/25R20 tires), the rear quarter panels are chip-free. In fact, regular road grime and rubber dust wipes right off with some Meguiar's Quick Detail spray and a microfiber towel. I like the clean and stealthy look over mudflaps!
Old 05-22-2014, 01:26 PM
imgn tht
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '13, '15

Some more searches on the site led me to a few conclusions thus far.

Apsis--Pros: nice quality, no modification needed, more flexible that others. Cons: About $400 for a full set f/r and much larger than most.

L5--Pros: smaller than Apsis, lower cost to Apsis. Cons: more rigid which could lead to breaking, and still $350 for a full set.

GM C6Z06(part# 15818636–RH/15818637–LH)--Pros: nicer flow with C5 lines, smaller still, fronts are direct fit. Cons: Have to modify rears, still about $100 for rears only. Also looks like more drilling to work, and possible need for more/better molding tape.

GM C6 Base(GM P/N# 19170234 for full set/4)--Pros: lowest price for style that flows with body lines of C5, Cost is $110 for set/4 f/r, fronts are direct fit. Seem to be the narrowest versions. Cons: still need to modify the rear to fit and drill holes to install + molding tape as above.

RPI Stealth--Pros: Lowest cost version, no drilling required, no modifications needed. Cons: don't flow with the C5 lines, more traditional "mud flap" look, questionable how they would perform with wider tires.

All other Ebay/standard guards--Pros: Abundantly available, low cost. Cons: traditional mud flap look...'nuff said.

Feel free to add to or correct me on anything above. Given all this information, I'm personally leaning towards the C6 Base models. Cost, style and overall width are my determining factors right now. Installation and modifications, I will compromise on from my original request.

What I am not super clear on though is why some folks use the C6 rears in the front? Is there an advantage to this, do you need to modify all four then? Guess they just want a wider look there?

Last edited by imgn tht; 05-22-2014 at 01:28 PM.
Old 05-22-2014, 01:35 PM
3boystoys
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by imgn tht
Some more searches on the site led me to a few conclusions thus far.

Apsis--Pros: nice quality, no modification needed, more flexible that others. Cons: About $400 for a full set f/r and much larger than most.

L5--Pros: smaller than Apsis, lower cost to Apsis. Cons: more rigid which could lead to breaking, and still $350 for a full set.

GM C6Z06(part# 15818636–RH/15818637–LH)--Pros: nicer flow with C5 lines, smaller still, fronts are direct fit. Cons: Have to modify rears, still about $100 for rears only. Also looks like more drilling to work, and possible need for more/better molding tape.

GM C6 Base(GM P/N# 19170234 for full set/4)--Pros: lowest price for style that flows with body lines of C5, Cost is $110 for set/4 f/r, fronts are direct fit. Seem to be the narrowest versions. Cons: still need to modify the rear to fit and drill holes to install + molding tape as above.

RPI Stealth--Pros: Lowest cost version, no drilling required, no modifications needed. Cons: don't flow with the C5 lines, more traditional "mud flap" look, questionable how they would perform with wider tires.

All other Ebay/standard guards--Pros: Abundantly available, low cost. Cons: traditional mud flap look...'nuff said.

Feel free to add to or correct me on anything above. Given all this information, I'm personally leaning towards the C6 Base models. Cost, style and overall width are my determining factors right now. Installation and modifications, I will compromise on from my original request.

What I am not super clear on though is why some folks use the C6 rears in the front? Is there an advantage to this, do you need to modify all four then? Guess they just want a wider look there?
You get more junk from the front wheels so you need the wider flaps in the front.
Old 05-22-2014, 01:51 PM
imgn tht
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '13, '15

Originally Posted by 3boystoys
You get more junk from the front wheels so you need the wider flaps in the front.
Gotcha, so do the rear Z06 ones fit the front without modification?
Old 05-22-2014, 02:51 PM
PeterB
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

-

I 'm of the opinion most vet owner contemplate the mud flaps.

I know I did. I do think they look decent enough on Chris Vet to pass my personal criteria although I still feel awkward about having them on my car. PITA I know, I just wipe it if it needs it. Just my 0.02

PeterB.

Back to wide Larger wheels need mud flaps ...
Old 05-22-2014, 03:14 PM
3boystoys
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by PeterB
-

I 'm of the opinion most vet owner contemplate the mud flaps.

I know I did. I do think they look decent enough on Chris Vet to pass my personal criteria although I still feel awkward about having them on my car. PITA I know, I just wipe it if it needs it. Just my 0.02

PeterB.

Back to wide Larger wheels need mud flaps ...
Besides being illegal in most places, having tires that stick out past the wheel well opening will sandblast the sides of the car in no time.

Another reason for a LEO to harass I guess.

Last edited by 3boystoys; 05-22-2014 at 03:18 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Larger wheels = need for splash guards!

Old 05-22-2014, 05:16 PM
NatB
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Recommend against any type of splash guards requiring you to drill into your fender lips. If you ever want them off, you are left with holes that require filling and paint.
Old 05-22-2014, 05:26 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,276 Likes on 13,957 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

I've had the stealth ones from RPI Designs on my car for a long time. They do a very good job of protecting the side of the car, are inexpensive, mount without drilling and truly are not bad looking on the car. I also went with some 3M clear bra on the rocker panels, lower portion of the doors and behind the rear wheels. All in all, the sides of the car are well protected.
Old 05-23-2014, 09:00 AM
imgn tht
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '13, '15

Originally Posted by NatB
Recommend against any type of splash guards requiring you to drill into your fender lips. If you ever want them off, you are left with holes that require filling and paint.
That is a slight concern for me still. Pretty sure I will end up with GM C6 base units front and rear. My fronts don't stick out too much as I am on 255 wide tires there. The offset of the wheels push them out more flush with the fender though. Has anyone tried to mount the C6 base models with tape alone and one screw on the bottom? Or some other non permanent clip or body mounting piece?

Quick Reply: Larger wheels = need for splash guards!