Moving to UK, C5 fog switch wiring

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2014, 12:39 AM
DrifterX27
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Moving to UK, C5 fog switch wiring

Hello everyone.

I bought my first Z06 off another forum member and I love it. I'm in the Air Force and will be moving to the UK in November. I've been ordering parts left and right for the conversion I am working on, to make the lighting of the car UK road legal.

I am looking for some wiring schematics to help me wire the C5 fog light switch to the third brake light in order to use it as a rear fog. In the UK, the third brake light is not required, so instead of installing another light, I will just use the third light. I do not want the light to be activated by operating the brake pedal at all.

I already ordered the C5 fog/trunk switch. Will I need a different connector to use it, or does the Z06 already come prewired for it and I would just have to make the wiring connections to trigger the 3rd brake light with the fog switch?

I found this site for the fog install, but I won't be installing fogs.
http://www.toquez06.com/fog.html

Thanks for the assistance everyone.

Last edited by DrifterX27; 08-05-2014 at 12:42 AM.
Old 08-05-2014, 01:36 AM
Bill Vett
Safety Car

Received 53 Likes on 44 Posts

Contact member DeeGee, he was stationed in the US and moved back to the UK. He'll help you out, he's a great guy.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/memb...11-deegee.html

Last edited by Bill Vett; 08-05-2014 at 01:38 AM.
Old 08-05-2014, 01:39 AM
DSTURBD
Melting Slicks

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts
Cruise-In V Veteran

Originally Posted by Bill Vett
Contact member DeeGee, he was stationed in the US and moved back to the UK. He'll help you out, he's a great guy.
Hey Bill,

I was just about to give the exact same message and then yours came up!!

DSTURBD
Old 08-05-2014, 02:48 AM
Cliff8928
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts

You're intending on using the front fog lamp switch in order to activate a rear fog lamp?

You will need a Tech 2 to enable fog lamps in the BCM. You can also change the localization to europe in the Tech 2.

If you want the rear fogs the way it would come from the factory, this is the diagram you'd need.
Attached Images  
Old 08-05-2014, 12:27 PM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 226 Posts

Thanks for your service. Of course, we in the Navy had to use a shorter landing strip and it was never in the same place twice.

With that said, I have helped several people install front fog lights in ZO6s and also worked to help some install rear fog lights as well. Fronts can be done with no BCM reprogramming, but it is not exactly like GM did it. Wiring to the dash switch should be there but nothing should be there from the fuse box to the front of the car. Normally installing in the rear is done with Euro tail lights but using your 3rd light can work too.

The fog light switch is not a ON or OFF switch but only provides a temporary voltage pulse designed to activate the BCM. If you try to use it to create a latching relay setup it will not work since there is a board in it that drops the voltage too much to power a relay. They can be gutted and I have pictures on how to do it so there is not voltage reduction but it is still a voltage pulse.

If you need any help PM me with your number and we can discuss your options. Talk with the DeeGee reference and see what he did.

I even have a quick rear solution you could use until you made a more permanent solution to your liking.
Old 08-07-2014, 12:34 AM
DrifterX27
Intermediate

Alright guys. In order to make things easier, I ordered an exhaust plate and a LED plate light to act as the rear fog light. I figured I can just use power from the factory relay for lighting and put a toggle switch to activate the rear fog as needed.

I also ordered the Fender Cove lighting kit, and I will make the cove LED turn on with the turn signal wire.

I am looking for the location of the wiring so I can tie into them. Is there an online resource that shows wire location/wire color so I don't have to bug the forum with these questions?

Essentially, I need to find a power wire that is activated with the headlight switch that provides constant switched power.

And the turn signal wire so I can have it activated whenever the signals are activated. I guess I could just tie into the turn signal itself, but if there is a cleaner way I'll do it. I will be doing the DRL disable too.

Last edited by DrifterX27; 08-07-2014 at 12:48 AM.
Old 08-07-2014, 05:01 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

The 3red brake light idea was easier than this. You think they are going to accept a light that low?
Old 08-07-2014, 07:24 AM
DrifterX27
Intermediate

Originally Posted by dadaroo
The 3red brake light idea was easier than this. You think they are going to accept a light that low?
Yes. The regulations state the light has to be red and visible from behind the car. I don't own a tech 2 to change any settings on the car.

I saw DeeGee had a rear fog before and then went with the exhaust plate n led setup.

Last edited by DrifterX27; 08-07-2014 at 07:54 AM.
Old 08-08-2014, 06:31 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

You don't need a tech ii.

Get notified of new replies

To Moving to UK, C5 fog switch wiring

Quick Reply: Moving to UK, C5 fog switch wiring