Sponsored by:

So my ebay exhaust arrived...

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2014, 03:11 PM
Not4spd
Melting Slicks

Received 630 Likes on 394 Posts

Originally Posted by Toque
You don't need an exhaust to hang out with our group.
Were all a little loud when we arrive and leave the weekly GTG's.

Come on out ! You know where we meet right ?

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/sout...area-24-a.html

Toque
Yep. I'm gonna see about making it out this Sunday.

I actually parked next to a stunning supercharged yellow C5 at the Plano Friday night meet. The owner was named Buddy. Great guy and had a good bit of knowledge about Corvettes. He encouraged me to come on out.
Old 07-03-2014, 03:22 PM
Toque
Tech Contributor

Received 179 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by Not4spd
Yep. I'm gonna see about making it out this Sunday.

I actually parked next to a stunning supercharged yellow C5 at the Plano Friday night meet. The owner was named Buddy. Great guy and had a good bit of knowledge about Corvettes. He encouraged me to come on out.
Hope to see you Sunday !

We have a Yellow Supercharged C5 in our group.
Super NICE car ! Custom interior leather as well.
His name is John.
Not sure if were speaking about the same guy or not.

Toque
Old 07-03-2014, 03:29 PM
tbrent
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts
2018 C5 of Year Winner

Corsa, Borla a couple off the top of my head made in USA.... But nothing wrong with a guy on a budget getting what he/she thinks is the best deal for them.
The following users liked this post:
t1fudd (10-14-2020)
Old 07-03-2014, 03:41 PM
avigar
Drifting

Received 263 Likes on 161 Posts

Hopefully, it's not a case of "you get what you pay for" and buyer's remorse. I can certainly understand when one's on a budget. But sometimes, it's better to buy a known quality product the first time, than having to spend more money later on because it didn't meet your expectations. Good luck and let us know how they turn out.
Old 07-03-2014, 03:44 PM
Not4spd
Melting Slicks

Received 630 Likes on 394 Posts

Originally Posted by Toque
Hope to see you Sunday !

We have a Yellow Supercharged C5 in our group.
Super NICE car ! Custom interior leather as well.
His name is John.
Not sure if were speaking about the same guy or not.

Toque
Nope that's him. I was thinking his name was Buddy for some reason.

Originally Posted by tbrent
Corsa, Borla a couple off the top of my head made in USA.... But nothing wrong with a guy on a budget getting what he/she thinks is the best deal for them.
Both are fantastic products and aboslutely nothing wrong with them at all or anyone that wants to fork over the money for them. I figured I give these a try, see how they do, and give a little review for other forum members who come across them.

From what I have read axleback exhausts don't do much in the way of performance. I can not justify spending the coin for name brand stuff when performance is nearly nonexistence to begin with.
Old 07-03-2014, 03:54 PM
tbrent
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

2018 C5 of Year Winner

Both are fantastic products and aboslutely nothing wrong with them at all or anyone that wants to fork over the money for them. I figured I give these a try, see how they do, and give a little review for other forum members who come across them.

From what I have read axleback exhausts don't do much in the way of performance. I can not justify spending the coin for name brand stuff when performance is nearly nonexistence to begin with.
Happy 4th of July
Old 07-03-2014, 05:31 PM
MotoJB
Le Mans Master

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Good luck...
Old 07-03-2014, 06:18 PM
littleed
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought those ebay headers years ago. It is shop now for cam Install and exhaust and the weld went on the driver side collector. Trying to buy replacement header from them and it is almost impossible to get hold of them. If they don't get back to me next week I'm going to go with kooks from Maryland speed. Point being be wary of anything from those knock of companies. SS auto chrome is the company that I got mine from of eBay.
Old 07-03-2014, 07:05 PM
F&Yb0dluvr
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I was going to get something like that but I paid $560 for my Brand New Magnaflow Magnapack off ebay and it comes with a x pipe.....
David Shiel (02-09-2017)
Old 07-04-2014, 09:19 AM
beboggled
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts

Thanks for being a guinea pig! Ive been eyeing this exhaust and would love some impressions of it. Subscribed
Old 07-04-2014, 12:38 PM
Idaho Hot Rod
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

subscribed, like to see your results.
Old 07-04-2014, 12:49 PM
CCA Corvette Parts
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 421 Likes on 322 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08,-'13-'14, '16-'17

Originally Posted by tbrent
Many of the Borla parts are made overseas, but not all.

Assembled in the US

Not so with Corsa

Regards
Chip

Old 07-04-2014, 01:16 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

Received 3,812 Likes on 1,925 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04

Good luck with your purchase and hope you are happy with them
I understand the budget issue, Unfortunately over my life, tight budget and cost effective rarely cross paths with quality and satisfaction.
most people will by the best they can afford. It seems like the right choice. But over my lifetime ( 70 years ) I have adopted the philosophy that " I can not afford to buy anything too cheap "
Meaning: many manufacturers design a product with cost being the prime objective. Cutting costs to make a target selling price. usually this type of product appeals to the tight budget minded, without the insight to the actual product satisfaction.

when I say I cant afford to buy anything too cheap... I mean it cost too much to go this way, because you make an initial investment into an inexpensive product, and many times are unsatisfied with the product, be it function fit, or quality. So you either " live with it" or you sell the product or take it on the chin and buy what you should have bought in the first place. a quality product with focus on quality and function as oppose to the lowest price possible.

Once you get bit a few times by inexpensive products that have little quality built in, you will think twice about looking at inexpensive products. Some times buying the cheapest can be off set by buying something that might cost 20 to 30 % more. Unfortunately, the products that cost the most, have the best quality control, and a well known name and a company that has a reputation to protect, are the best products with the best warranty. The cost of quality is the highest denominator when it comes to manufactured goods. Buts its easy to look at a 500 dollar exhaust system and then look at a 1200 dollar exhaust system and say , they are both exhaust systems designed for my car.
Again I hope you can be fulfilled with your choice, my intent was not to put down you or your tight budget. My intent was to try to convey the thought that buying something now that you can afford now might be a better choice to not buy now and save a little more for a better quality product.
Bill
Old 07-04-2014, 01:26 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,843 Likes on 1,801 Posts

Originally Posted by Evil-Twin
Good luck with your purchase and hope you are happy with them
I understand the budget issue, Unfortunately over my life, tight budget and cost effective rarely cross paths with quality and satisfaction.
most people will by the best they can afford. It seems like the right choice. But over my lifetime ( 70 years ) I have adopted the philosophy that " I can not afford to buy anything too cheap "
Meaning: many manufacturers design a product with cost being the prime objective. Cutting costs to make a target selling price. usually this type of product appeals to the tight budget minded, without the insight to the actual product satisfaction.

when I say I cant afford to buy anything too cheap... I mean it cost too much to go this way, because you make an initial investment into an inexpensive product, and many times are unsatisfied with the product, be it function fit, or quality. So you either " live with it" or you sell the product or take it on the chin and buy what you should have bought in the first place. a quality product with focus on quality and function as oppose to the lowest price possible.

Once you get bit a few times by inexpensive products that have little quality built in, you will think twice about looking at inexpensive products. Some times buying the cheapest can be off set by buying something that might cost 20 to 30 % more. Unfortunately, the products that cost the most, have the best quality control, and a well known name and a company that has a reputation to protect, are the best products with the best warranty. The cost of quality is the highest denominator when it comes to manufactured goods. Buts its easy to look at a 500 dollar exhaust system and then look at a 1200 dollar exhaust system and say , they are both exhaust systems designed for my car.
Again I hope you can be fulfilled with your choice, my intent was not to put down you or your tight budget. My intent was to try to convey the thought that buying something now that you can afford now might be a better choice to not buy now and save a little more for a better quality product.
Bill
This is why I went with a used set of GHL Bullets rather than something of lower cost (and typically quality) that I would not have been happy with. I saw the eBay set but was not willing to take the chance when I knew I already loved the sound of the GHL's and they've already proven to have zero drone; an important distinction.

I sincerely hope the OP enjoys his purchase as much as I do mine, and doesn't regret waiting a little longer until he could save up a few hundred dollars more.
Old 07-04-2014, 01:31 PM
tbrent
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

2018 C5 of Year Winner

Originally Posted by CCA Corvette Parts
Many of the Borla parts are made overseas, but not all.

Assembled in the US

Not so with Corsa

Regards
Chip
I guess they should put that on their web site rather than "made in the USA sold world wide"..
Old 07-04-2014, 09:18 PM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

I'll have pics of install and a video at a later time.
What i can see looks good.

I'm sure many people are waiting to see some pictures of it unpacked and installed. There is always interest in lower priced quality exhausts. There can be some great deals out there waiting to be found and price doesn't always equate with quality. The low cost XSPower system I installed fit great and the expensive Pfadt headers had a bunch of fitment issues.
Old 07-05-2014, 03:19 PM
Black0ut
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Corvette_Ed
This is why I went with a used set of GHL Bullets rather than something of lower cost (and typically quality) that I would not have been happy with. I saw the eBay set but was not willing to take the chance when I knew I already loved the sound of the GHL's and they've already proven to have zero drone; an important distinction.

I sincerely hope the OP enjoys his purchase as much as I do mine, and doesn't regret waiting a little longer until he could save up a few hundred dollars more.
Just because you spend more on an exhaust doesn't mean its going to last longer and not fall apart or sound better or guarantee "no drone". I had a set of Borla's and then Corsas that were both... questionable. Not living in the USA means refunds, repairs, and replacements are like pulling teeth if you didn't purchase through a dealer.

Those Corsa's, Borla's and other big name exhausts are not without their flaws. $300 exhaust systems are great. At least when they fall apart you don't feel too bad about it and either scrap them or fix them. It has nothing to do with being cheap. I'd prefer to spend the "few hundred dollars more" on something that will actually benefit from said money.

Headers though... because they are a PITA to fix and change/swap out and actually provide some performance benefit; probably the only area of the exhaust system that really should have some money in it.

Get notified of new replies

To So my ebay exhaust arrived...

Old 07-05-2014, 05:36 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '03-'04

Originally Posted by Black0ut
Just because you spend more on an exhaust doesn't mean its going to last longer and not fall apart or sound better or guarantee "no drone". I had a set of Borla's and then Corsas that were both... questionable. Not living in the USA means refunds, repairs, and replacements are like pulling teeth if you didn't purchase through a dealer.

Those Corsa's, Borla's and other big name exhausts are not without their flaws. $300 exhaust systems are great. At least when they fall apart you don't feel too bad about it and either scrap them or fix them. It has nothing to do with being cheap. I'd prefer to spend the "few hundred dollars more" on something that will actually benefit from said money.

Headers though... because they are a PITA to fix and change/swap out and actually provide some performance benefit; probably the only area of the exhaust system that really should have some money in it.
I don't know about you but my Corsa exhaust is stainless steel and guaranteed for life and also guaranteed not to drone. I've had that system for 13 years and could sell them tomorrow for 700 dollars. you wont find that kind of guarantee or quality with a 500 exhaust system that is certainly not stainless. it also has a GM Part number because Corsa is the manufact6urer that was chosen by GM to build the exhaust system for the C5 Indy pace car.

Also it's not about the cost, its about the research and warranty, and the quality of the materials , and quality control and feedback from satisfied customers.. the cost is a product of the manufacturers desire to build a quality product with quality control system in place and not to make the cheapest exhaust system out there.. they are two distinct differences in how a company manufactures a product. China is the Knock off country of the world, they use little to no quality control, the products are designed to look authentic, but the quality of the material and design of the function is so bad that rarely will you get a solid product from a knock off company where the mission is to build the cheapest. There is a reason people who have been around the block a few times and are tired of buying junk, then have to go out and buy what they should have in the first place.. Corsa has no problem selling their exhaust system to thousands and be able to stand by it. Most of these EBay companies based in China have no worries about poor quality, they just rename their company when too much pressure is put on them.. but in most cases the customer doesn't go after the seller because the 500 dollars is a learning experience. So to the point, I've developed this cliché about not being able to afford something too cheap, and it has roots in my own personal experience. once you buy junk, a few times if you are a smart man you wont let that brick fall on your head any more. there is a slim to none chance a 500 dollar exhaust system will serve you as well as a 1200 dollar system. IN my 13 years here I've seen people come here saying wow about EBay headers from china at 399 dollars. only to hear horror stories about poor fit and missing parts and rusting out and welds breaking in less than a year Cheap exhaust from china, cheap memory cards from china and cheap batteries from China. Most people learn their lesion after on or two experiences.

Last edited by Evil-Twin; 07-05-2014 at 05:54 PM.
Old 07-06-2014, 04:49 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,843 Likes on 1,801 Posts

Just because you spend more on an exhaust doesn't mean its going to last longer and not fall apart or sound better or guarantee "no drone".
Do you know nothing about GHL exhausts?

I had a set of Borla's and then Corsas that were both... questionable.
Where did I say anything about Borla's? Corsas come with a lifetime warranty and at least one model was specifically made for the C5. That's hardly "questionable."

Not living in the USA means refunds, repairs, and replacements are like pulling teeth if you didn't purchase through a dealer.
This would seem to point out the fact that the buyer must do research prior to purchasing. Not one person that I've ever seen has said anything about research on an eBay exhaust system, but I have seen plenty for GHL and Corsa.

So you'd rather toss money out the window more than once instead of buying a system that would last as long as the car does?

Salespeople see you coming, that's for certain.

Here's another one of those things I didn't say anything about.
Old 07-06-2014, 06:22 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '03-'04

No one here wants to see the OP unhappy with his choice. It has been so stated by everyone who has had experiences with inexpensive products in this thread. Many of us here who have been here for a long time remember the WOW story's posted by people who have bought cheap products, only to find that some with integrity come back and say how disappointed they are. Most of us posting our experiences do not relish in the notion that someone has made a poor choice. I know I would embrace an inexpensive product that works as well as an expensive one. AS some people know, I try to make an analogy ( a different point of view ) to bring the point home.
here is one:
Hoods..
I have an MCM hood, I bought it 12 years ago for 1699.00. mine is one of 1300 MCM standard height heat extractors. last year I was offered 2000 dollars for it. I would never sell it, not for 3000 dollars. People are always trying to find one. I have a bunch of members that always tease me about getting my MCM hood when I die. ON the other hand these 400 and 500 dollar Dura flex hoods have caused many members a lot of grief in money and in a dangerous track experiences. My point here is that there are only a few hood manufactures that make a quality hood and none of them are 500 dollars.
t1fudd (10-14-2020)

Quick Reply: So my ebay exhaust arrived...