Sponsored by:

Irritated beyond belief: Service Column Lock

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2014, 03:16 PM
CarriageTownVette
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Irritated beyond belief: Service Column Lock

So, my 2000 C5 was in for service at the Dealer (necessary for my warranty) and they caught an open recall on the steering column lock. They installed the relay and I was on my way.

I threw a Service Column Lock code after I installed new plug-and-play headlights (no cutting, no monkeying with anything else) and had to have it towed to the dealership. They determined the relay they had installed was faulty and replaced it. I have a Haggerty policy, so other than being out two days usage of my car, it cost me nothing, and I was on my way.

I've done *nothing* to the car since then, except drive it. Today, I washed it (okay, I've done that, too) and was going for a ride with the missus. I started it up and threw the Service Column Lock code, again.

I've been reading some of the threads about the issue, but have not seen this particular problem, yet. Apologies if I have missed something. Does anybody have a clue what the problem is?

2000 C5, automatic, btw. And my column is NOT locked (but DOES lock, DOES function).

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by CarriageTownVette; 08-16-2014 at 03:34 PM.
Old 08-16-2014, 03:39 PM
1Willy1
Melting Slicks

Received 381 Likes on 278 Posts

im not the authority on this by any means , but ive been trolling these forusm pretty hard, and from what I gather the dealer does not actually have the proper fix for this, as they are not legally allowed to remove the locking feature.

You need to buy some kit that allows you to bypass the lock ,,,anyways the real vette guys should be chiming in soon with the proper info u need.
Old 08-16-2014, 06:39 PM
frsr06
Drifting

Received 190 Likes on 132 Posts

8VETTE7 is one of the resident experts on this subject. Do a search on "LMC5" which is the fix made by Compliance Parts. Google them - their site has everything you need and the fix only takes about 15 or 20 minutes.
Old 08-16-2014, 06:51 PM
1FUNC5
Le Mans Master

Received 49 Likes on 46 Posts

ordered mine this morning!
Old 08-16-2014, 06:53 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,282 Likes on 13,960 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

The problem is the factory fix does not really fix anything. It has been known to cause more problems. If it were me, I would either get an LMC5 or a column lock bypass kit and install it.
Old 08-17-2014, 10:35 AM
CarriageTownVette
Advanced

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7
I would check the passenger foot well for wet carpet. Possible that the wiper well rubber udders are clogged and water is backing up into the car. Read this thread:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...ak-checks.html

When the wiper wells backup because they cannot drain the Column Lock relay and often the BCM get wet. Both can cause the column lock symptoms. Read this thread, specifically post #8 for an example:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-g...b-failure.html

Thanks for the great info! No wetness on the floor. Oddly, when I look into that fuse/relay box, I don't see any modified relays (obvious ones, anyway).

It'll have to get the piggy-back to the dealer this time to get put right, but I ordered a CLB yesterday. I'm going to go read-up on the difference between that and the other unit, now. Thanks, again!
Old 08-17-2014, 10:58 AM
who928
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CarriageTownVette
Thanks for the great info! No wetness on the floor. Oddly, when I look into that fuse/relay box, I don't see any modified relays (obvious ones, anyway).

It'll have to get the piggy-back to the dealer this time to get put right, but I ordered a CLB yesterday. I'm going to go read-up on the difference between that and the other unit, now. Thanks, again!
The exact same thing happened to mine . Took 15 min. to put the LMC5 in and I was on my way.
Old 08-17-2014, 03:05 PM
CarriageTownVette
Advanced

If you can cancel the CLB, I would STRONGLY suggest the LMC5 as a much better choice.

As to why it's better read this thread post #2:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-g...b-failure.html

Google "Compliance Parts" for more info on the LMC5......
Thanks. After reading, hedged my bets and ordered the LMC5. Since I'm already hemoraging money, I'd rather go with the more fool-proof option. We'll see if somebody in my club wants to buy the CLB.
Old 08-17-2014, 03:07 PM
clegg
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Column Lock

I have had my 1999 C5 Auto convertible for over 2 years and it has just recently started to have the Column lock issues. You can keep trying to restart it and after 3 to 4 times (about 5-10 minutes) it will start and drive. It is a very random issue. I know that the recall was performed on my car as the steering does not lock at all. I have ordered a C7 and am trying to sell the C5. I suppose I will go with the LMC5 module to avoid any issues when selling.
Old 08-17-2014, 03:14 PM
yanmar
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Service column lock code

MINE APPEARED RECENTLY AND I INSTALLED LMC5 KIT. NO MORE WORRIES, AND ONLY $46.00. LUCKILY I WAS AT HOME WHEN THE CODE CAME UP AND WHEEL LOCKED, SO NO TOWING OR REPAIR BILLS. HOWEVER.........MY WALL MOUNT BUTTON GARAGE DOOR OPENER HAS GONE SOUTH, BUT IT'S A SIMPLE FIX AND THE BUTTON IS ON E-BAY SHOULD THAT BE THE CULPRIT. AIN'T LIFE GREAT???????
Old 08-17-2014, 03:18 PM
CarriageTownVette
Advanced

Update: Flatbed just carted her away... again. Man... first guy was very nervous as I watched him -- took about 30 minutes just to load it up. This was the owner of the company -- been towing for about 50 years. Drove the friggin' car onto the flatbed -- no joke. Here and gone in 5 minutes. I'm a little nervous, but I know he's insured... #c7aroundthecorner
Old 08-17-2014, 04:14 PM
CarriageTownVette
Advanced

I'm confused on why you had the car towed? What was happening beyond the error message? Fuel shutoff when you attempted to drive??

ie it stalled when you put it in gear???

If yes then the GM K Harness (relay) failed again. Cause would be the battery.......................

It WILL keep frying the relay until you address battery problem.

Here is what happens to that relay when the battery goes low:

That is why the LMC5 is a better choice for bypassing the column lock. LMC5 abandons all that crap because it installs at the BCM and it is far less sensitive to voltage variations.
Towed because a) I have the mechanical aptitude of a rodent, b) fuel shut-off, c) dealer has already replaced the faulty relay once, and was flummoxed that it happened again, d) based on all I read, the issue must be corrected prior to the install of either CLB or LMC5, which will refer us back to a.

Battery is brand new (replaced in April; replacing a battery that was only 6 months old).
Old 08-17-2014, 06:55 PM
yoymon
Instructor

so if your steering wheel turns even with the key out in my 99 automatic, that's means I have the dealer fix? I still hear the sound of something in colum when I shut off car like a electric motor for a second...should I be buying the lmc5 just in case?
Old 08-17-2014, 06:56 PM
CarriageTownVette
Advanced

The meter is an issue because that is something I neither have, nor how to use (as I said, very little mechanical aptitude). I've ordered the LMC5, but it's going to go through whatever the dealer needs to do, first (I won't have the part 'til after that, anyway). Dealer footed the bill for the tow.

I'm curious about this: If I take the vehicle to be dynotuned, can they reset the fuel shutoff?
Old 08-17-2014, 07:03 PM
CarriageTownVette
Advanced

Originally Posted by yoymon
so if your steering wheel turns even with the key out in my 99 automatic, that's means I have the dealer fix? I still hear the sound of something in colum when I shut off car like a electric motor for a second...should I be buying the lmc5 just in case?
From all the threads I'm reading (and the copious helpful and detailed insight from 8VETTE7), I think the answer is simple: If you do NOT have the LMC5, you should install it ASAP.
Old 08-17-2014, 07:19 PM
yoymon
Instructor

I just didn't know what fix I had I guess ill order one
Old 08-17-2014, 07:29 PM
CarriageTownVette
Advanced

Again, HUGELY helpful info. Thank you!

GAh! Behind the times. This refers to the post about tuning.

Get notified of new replies

To Irritated beyond belief: Service Column Lock

Old 08-17-2014, 07:38 PM
yoymon
Instructor

8vette7 thanks for all the info...just ordered mine

Last edited by yoymon; 08-17-2014 at 07:41 PM.
Old 08-19-2014, 09:11 AM
CarriageTownVette
Advanced

Update: Dealership diagnosed the column mechanism sending the errant message (EXACTLY as 8VETTE7 said they would!) at a cost of $530. After listening to me call GM a bunch of thieves, the service writer (and boy, isn't THAT a terrible way to run a service department!) checks with the tech about my claims of a $40 aftermarket fix. She says they'll install it if I bring it in and they have removed the recall relay, thus making the car drivable. My part is en route, so here is the dilemma: do I a) just go pick up my car and risk driving it without the LMC5 in my possession, yet? b) go pick up the car and let it sit in my driveway until I get the part? or c) take them up on their offer to install it and let the car sit there until I receive the part?

Of note: My last three days of vacation are today, tomorrow and Thursday.
Old 08-19-2014, 09:23 AM
Cybermind
Melting Slicks

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

I guess the good old reliable CLB's are no longer in vogue, huh?

You can also have a CLB installed. They are also very reliable and have a proven track record since the very beginning. I just don't want people to think that their only option is the LMC5. My CLB has worked flawlessly for the last 5 years. Just thought I'd throw it out there.

Quick Reply: Irritated beyond belief: Service Column Lock