Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how anal are you about your vette being correct?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2014, 09:58 AM
Chicago1
Race Director

Received 321 Likes on 208 Posts

I used to be like that but car has turned into a monster now. There are some things I have been lacking on that bugs me but that's just me being lazy. I will get to them eventually but I'm not OCD
Old 08-26-2014, 10:08 AM
Dave-A
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by stu12dozen
My front two valve caps are alike and the two in the rear are alike, although the two sets do not match, but at least all four are chrome. As long as I keep moving, nobody will notice.

Perhaps if I place one matching pair on the drivers side and the other pair on the passenger side, hmmm?
OMG, at least have the matching pairs on the same side. It is embarrassing to the rest of us! Where is your pride man!!!
Old 08-26-2014, 10:19 AM
Dave-A
Instructor

St. Jude Donor '14

When I bought my vette it had several small issues. Now it has none and is very near new condition now, every thing works as it should!

Often I get asked what year it is and when I proudly respond 2001 the most common response it "it looks new".

The styling of the C5 is timeless, while the C6 and C7 are nice corvettes as well, they are merely different, not better, as far as styling is concerned.

For a car that is now 14 years old I have received so many more complements from total strangers than all other cars, new and old, that I have ever owned combined.

IMHO, it is worth every effort I have made to fix even the smallest thing.

This forum has been a great resource, and I could not or would not have done it without this forum.

Thanks guys.

Last edited by Dave-A; 08-26-2014 at 10:21 AM.
Old 08-26-2014, 11:07 AM
Dcollins3208
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by stu12dozen
Nothing wrong with mods. Corvettes are meant to be personalised. I believe the OP is talking about correct and not necessarily factory correct. My car is at the tuners as we speak. I am adding headers, HF Cats and X-pipe to my Borla exhaust. My final instructions to the installer as I drove away were, "please make sure the exhaust tips are level when you finish. Otherwise, I will not be able to sleep at night".
Ha, this is exactly the point I'm at. I have everything how I want it on the car... But the exhaust tips are off by maybe 1/8 inch. Nobody else notices, but I do and it kills me
Old 08-26-2014, 11:17 AM
QCVette
Le Mans Master

Received 626 Likes on 488 Posts

I had to laugh at this thread. I thought I was the only one that worried about things like valve caps matching, or the exhaust tips being perfectly lined up, etc.

I like to keep them correct that everything functions and has a good appearance, but not necessarily factory original stock.
Old 08-26-2014, 11:25 AM
brucemac64
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

I love personalizing my vette....and being different to set my car apart!! took blank plate and took stickers and put them on magnets that way I can change my display whenever....it football season now!!! ROLL TIDE!!!

Not football season....honoring our veterans....father died in 83...earned 3 silver stars as helicopter pilot in vietnam so I volunteer at American Legion in his honor!!!

Took part off Harley and built bracket to hold ipad and cell phone!!!
Old 08-26-2014, 12:18 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,843 Likes on 1,801 Posts

Originally Posted by bjones7131
I used to be more OCD than I am now. I still like things neat, orderly, and working but age has a way of allowing you to accept a few inperfections.
Yeah, after a long day of repairs and cleaning, when the arthritis has kicked in and your back is screaming at you, you get the, "F*ck it, I'm NOT doing it again" virus.
Old 08-26-2014, 01:34 PM
DDaaryl
Melting Slicks

Received 630 Likes on 395 Posts

Over the years owning eight Corvettes I removed all the bolt on crap from previous owners like aftermarket wheels, manifolds, carbs, stereos, stripes and decals. I'm still amazed how much time, effort and money gets spent on that garbage. The teen mentality of "look at me, I have a car" was outgrown when I stopped buying thrush mufflers in the early seventies. My last set of chrome wheels was eventually used for snow tires
Old 08-26-2014, 01:42 PM
Mr.Bill
Race Director

Location: Reno is so close to Hell you can see Sparks , State Of Confusion
Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14

Originally Posted by DDaaryl
Over the years owning eight Corvettes I removed all the bolt on crap from previous owners like aftermarket wheels, manifolds, carbs, stereos, stripes and decals. I'm still amazed how much time, effort and money gets spent on that garbage. The teen mentality of "look at me, I have a car" was outgrown when I stopped buying thrush mufflers in the early seventies. My last set of chrome wheels was eventually used for snow tires

Old 08-26-2014, 01:43 PM
MotoJB
Le Mans Master

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Old 08-26-2014, 01:52 PM
Mr.Bill
Race Director

Location: Reno is so close to Hell you can see Sparks , State Of Confusion
Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14

Someone has a very un-happy life.
Old 08-26-2014, 02:15 PM
MotoJB
Le Mans Master

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr.Bill
Someone has a very un-happy life.

He apparently outgrew the teen mentality of "look at me, I have a car"...

...and morphed it into a "look at me, I have an inflexible, stubborn, negative, attitude problem" mentality.

What a trade off.
Old 08-26-2014, 02:25 PM
katrinacop
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr.Bill
Old 08-26-2014, 02:48 PM
Black 02
Safety Car

Received 427 Likes on 316 Posts

Cool story, bro. Tell it again, please.
Old 08-26-2014, 02:54 PM
SaxyVette
Drifting

Received 91 Likes on 80 Posts

Bottom line for me, my car ain't perfect and neither am I..I can live with both.
Old 08-26-2014, 03:15 PM
RockyMtC5
Pro

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

I actually bought my C5 because it had all the aftermarket mods that I would have wanted anyways!

Opinions are like a-holes, we all have one;-)
Old 08-26-2014, 04:38 PM
troyguitar
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Functionality correct - absolutely. Aesthetically correct? Nope. It's a 10 year old car that sees daily driving and track time, not a show car.

Get notified of new replies

To how anal are you about your vette being correct?

Old 08-26-2014, 05:00 PM
DevilDog II
Race Director

Received 888 Likes on 553 Posts
Oldtimer

I must be an attention grabbing man *****.
Old 08-26-2014, 05:11 PM
Toque
Tech Contributor

Received 179 Likes on 99 Posts

I think you have been buying used cars from the wrong folks...

Toque
Old 08-26-2014, 05:46 PM
bighank
Melting Slicks

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Default I got 4 Corvette logo Valve Stem Caps on Fleabay and now the are the SAME

Lost one of the caps and could not find one to replace it. Saw some on Fleabay with the Corvette logo for about $5. Got them and put them on.
Also found some with a Mustang logo. Got another set of those for my son's over blinged Mustang.
Fleabay is your friend.

Quick Reply: how anal are you about your vette being correct?