Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stretch-fit front mask FAILURE. Now what?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2014, 08:48 PM
BamaJ
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Stretch-fit front mask FAILURE. Now what?

After reading many positive reviews here I ordered & rec'd one of these this week & attempted to install it today. Followed the instructions exactly, but the elastic across the bottom ripped as I was trying to stretch it down over the nose. I know these things are supposed to fit tight, but this one seemed way too tight, and sure enough it ripped. I'm wondering if I was sent the wrong mask?

Anyway, leaving on a trip up to Mid-America's funfest up in Effingham IL. this week & wanted a mask for my car. Is there anything else I could use? Does leaving a coat of wax on really help?
Old 09-14-2014, 10:14 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,233 Likes on 13,933 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Get a GM bra - I've run one for the past five years on my current C5 and had one on each of the other two C5s I've owned. Never had any problems with the bra damaging the paint, each one was easy to install and remove and for around $85, all were a definite bargain. Only drawback was if I got caught in the rain, I did not leave the bra on the car.
Old 09-15-2014, 09:46 AM
Sox-Fan
Melting Slicks

Received 345 Likes on 266 Posts

it'll look tacky but blue painter's tape will protect the front of the car and easily come right off when you get to Effingham, leaving no residue at all. They make it in all kinds of colors now too. You won't be the only one showing up with a taped front end either.

I'm curious as to which one you bought. Mine goes right on and off with no problems at all.
Old 09-15-2014, 09:58 AM
Black 02
Safety Car

Received 427 Likes on 316 Posts

Drive your car and enjoy it. Why make it hideous in an attempt to "protect" the front end?
Old 09-15-2014, 10:52 AM
Sox-Fan
Melting Slicks

sooooo that it doesn't end up hideous on the way there?
Old 09-15-2014, 12:34 PM
JanMan99
Drifting

Received 91 Likes on 60 Posts

I have a stretch bra as well. The first time I installed it, it was very tight & I thought the same thing, is this the correct one for my car?

I really had to pull it hard to snap on the opposite side and got a small tear by pulling hard enough to fasten.

I'm going to let it warm up in the sun before the next install. Who knows...............
Old 09-15-2014, 02:52 PM
Sox-Fan
Melting Slicks

I stretch it across the top of the nose and snap it in place, then pull the center down, and then the corners down around and under. No tears that way because I'm not pulling across the sharp edges.
Old 09-15-2014, 08:55 PM
BamaJ
Instructor

Originally Posted by Sox-Fan
it'll look tacky but blue painter's tape will protect the front of the car and easily come right off when you get to Effingham, leaving no residue at all. They make it in all kinds of colors now too. You won't be the only one showing up with a taped front end either.

I'm curious as to which one you bought. Mine goes right on and off with no problems at all.
Where did you buy yours?

I bought mine from CorvetteMods, mainly because it was on sale. It was actually shipped from Mid America though, and I've already talked to them about the problem I had with it & they said they could help me out when I'm up there for the Fun-Fest.

http://www.corvettemods.com/C5-97-04...ra_p_5066.html

I actually like the looks of this one from NoviStretch a little better though. It doesn't use any Velcro to attach & seems to fit AROUND the headlight openings. The one from Mid America seems to cover the bottom inch or so of the headlights, so I assume the bra can't be used for night driving?

http://www.novistretch.com/collections/c5-corvette

I've already bought a role of 2" blue 3M painter's tape & plan on taping it up a bit for the ride up there. I couldn't care less what it looks like while traveling, just want it to look good when I get there. Once I get close to Effingham I'll probably stop & take it off so I don't actually show up at the Fun-fest with it taped up.
Old 09-15-2014, 09:28 PM
BamaJ
Instructor

Originally Posted by Sox-Fan
I stretch it across the top of the nose and snap it in place, then pull the center down, and then the corners down around and under. No tears that way because I'm not pulling across the sharp edges.
I was installing it exactly per the instructions, just as you describe. The stretch fabric itself didn't tear because of a sharp edge, it was the elastic cord that runs along the bottom of the mask. The end of it tore away from the heavy material where the side snaps are.

Old 09-15-2014, 09:34 PM
c6miller
Drifting

Received 167 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by JanMan99
I have a stretch bra as well. The first time I installed it, it was very tight & I thought the same thing, is this the correct one for my car?

I really had to pull it hard to snap on the opposite side and got a small tear by pulling hard enough to fasten.

I'm going to let it warm up in the sun before the next install. Who knows...............
Same here.
Old 09-15-2014, 10:36 PM
Sox-Fan
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by BamaJ
Where did you buy yours?

I bought mine from CorvetteMods, mainly because it was on sale. It was actually shipped from Mid America though, and I've already talked to them about the problem I had with it & they said they could help me out when I'm up there for the Fun-Fest.

http://www.corvettemods.com/C5-97-04...ra_p_5066.html

I actually like the looks of this one from NoviStretch a little better though. It doesn't use any Velcro to attach & seems to fit AROUND the headlight openings. The one from Mid America seems to cover the bottom inch or so of the headlights, so I assume the bra can't be used for night driving?

http://www.novistretch.com/collections/c5-corvette

I've already bought a role of 2" blue 3M painter's tape & plan on taping it up a bit for the ride up there. I couldn't care less what it looks like while traveling, just want it to look good when I get there. Once I get close to Effingham I'll probably stop & take it off so I don't actually show up at the Fun-fest with it taped up.
I also got the CorvetteMods one. It's been on and off the car frequently with no ill effects. The velcro is a pain in the *** though. It doesn't hold well at all, especially when it is warm out. I had one that has plastic hooks that hooked over the top of the front bumper under the hood. worked much better. I've no idea who made it however as I bought it used.

I'm interested in the novistretch. if you get one please let is know what you think.
Old 09-16-2014, 02:18 PM
C5 XTC
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Bra

Originally Posted by BamaJ
After reading many positive reviews here I ordered & rec'd one of these this week & attempted to install it today. Followed the instructions exactly, but the elastic across the bottom ripped as I was trying to stretch it down over the nose. I know these things are supposed to fit tight, but this one seemed way too tight, and sure enough it ripped. I'm wondering if I was sent the wrong mask?

Anyway, leaving on a trip up to Mid-America's funfest up in Effingham IL. this week & wanted a mask for my car. Is there anything else I could use? Does leaving a coat of wax on really help?
I have a black stretch bra that fits snugly but is fairly easy to put on and take off. Made by C5 Creations. You can have it for $25 shipped.
Attached Images  
Old 09-16-2014, 04:53 PM
ironranger
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Have an "invisible bra" installed and be done with it once and for all without worrying about putting it on and taking it off and the headache associated with it.
Old 09-16-2014, 09:40 PM
always1961
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bought mine from Southern Car Parts and haven't had any problems.

Get notified of new replies

To Stretch-fit front mask FAILURE. Now what?

Quick Reply: Stretch-fit front mask FAILURE. Now what?