Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So I bought my Vette from a dealer, Time to be Sherlock Holmes on my Mods

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2014, 10:06 PM
Raab3485
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default So I bought my Vette from a dealer, Time to be Sherlock Holmes on my Mods

I took delivery of my 2004 Commemorative Edition last night, and am very pleased with the car so far. I managed to work a pretty good deal in my opinion, the car is very low mileage, and I love to drive it. And lucky for me, the car has some nice upgrades.....Only I don't know what they are! The dealership didn't have a bit of info on what has been installed on the car, and there isn't a lick of paperwork in the glovebox or anywhere else (not even a manual ), so not only can I not get a hold of the previous owner, but I have no evidence giving me info on what's been done.
So far I have been able to accurately identify that I have a Vararam VR-B2 Intake installed, and the car definitely has headers, as well as what appears to be full aftermarket exhaust from the headers to the tips. But I have no idea what headers are on the car, nor what kind of exhaust system I'm running. (I will say, the car sounds great, and the work seems to be of high quality, so I am very happy with it).
Furthermore, I have no idea if there are any other modifications or additions lurking elsewhere in the car, either deep inside a component or digital.
I suspect that the PO may have had a short throw shifter in the car, but hastily removed it, as the center console lid latch seems to be damaged and hanging out inside the console in the hole where the "hook" goes in. Either this, or perhaps this was all in the course of re-installing the factory stereo, I cannot be certain.
My question for all the experts here, is this: Any advice for attempting to ID the headers? Any ideas of how to see if there is anything else hiding under the woodwork? What are the opinions of the intake? Is it worth keeping?
I will try to take some pictures of the details tomorrow after work when it's sunny out again, in case I might be able to enlist the detective help from some of you here.

Oh and here is the obligatory new Vette pic. Some guys at work wanted myself and the guy who owns the Cobra in the pic to start them both up so people could compare how they sound.
Old 10-01-2014, 11:25 PM
Boss75
Racer

Great pic and I love the color (same as mine). I bet the Vette sounds great but IMO nothing sounds better than a 4 valve 4.6 mustang.

Take a pic of the exhaust when you have a chance to get under it. Sometimes just by the look of the collectors you can tell what longtubes you have. Hope this helps.
Old 10-02-2014, 03:20 AM
iRONHEAD55
Advanced

Actually I think if you do a car search on CARFAX you will get previous owners name. I bought an 04 commerative convert. from a dealer and just happened to luck out they had a plaque in there and a number of dash plaques from a club in fl. I made contact with them and they were able to help me locate the owner.
Old 10-02-2014, 07:17 AM
540i 6spd
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Looks good. If you take pictures of exhaust and headers we might be able to tell you what you have.

I have a VR-B2 and like it.
Old 10-02-2014, 10:33 AM
tdogg21
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 20 Posts
2017 C3 of Year Finalist

Good luck and nice car. I lucked out by buying my car through a private sale. The owner didn't know exactly what he had done to the car (he bought an upgrade package), but gave me the name of the shop that did the work. I contacted them and they sent me a copy of the invoice. Keep that in mind, if you can figure out where the work was done, you might be able to find out exactly what was done.
Old 10-02-2014, 10:43 AM
Raab3485
Advanced

I've got the carfax, but it doesn't give me any information. No names or anything else helpful. Also the last owner only had it since Feb of 2013, and put less than 1000 miles on it, (as evidenced by the plethora of cobwebs underneath it), so I think I would have to get in touch with whoever owned it even before them, and that might be a challenge. I think I'll have to do some detective work to figure it all out. I'll get some in depth pictures for you guys this afternoon.
Old 10-02-2014, 12:06 PM
oh1vette
Safety Car

Received 153 Likes on 117 Posts

With headers, I'd guess its been tuned too....
Old 10-02-2014, 12:35 PM
Grim Reaper
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19

Holloman AFB, been there done that.

Some headers have a stamp or tag on them from the manufacturer. My 04 CE coupe was stock when I bought it 8 years ago. Now, not so stock. My headers are ARH and have a tag welded to them. My exhaust is a B&B PRT, believe it also has a tag on the muffler somewhere. Engine mods are harder to identify, I have after market heads, cam and Pfadt coil overs also.

Get some pics and someone on here should be able to help identify the items. Nice car by the way, my favorite color also
Old 10-02-2014, 10:16 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,284 Likes on 13,961 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Congrats on getting your '04 CE - looks like a beautiful car.

As for any changes made to it, pics would certainly help.
Old 10-03-2014, 08:46 PM
Raab3485
Advanced

Alrighty, sorry I wasn't able to get any pics last night, I ended up taking my wife to the airport. Here are the best pics I could snap today, there certainly isn't a whole lot of room to get a good pic of things though, so let's see what you guys can do.

(as you can see I have a slight cobweb problem because I discovered the previous owner drove it less than 1000 miles in the course of a year and a half)

And also, while I've got you all here, anyone have any idea what this red dot is doing on my reverse lens?

And here she is after her first hand wash by me:
Old 10-03-2014, 09:00 PM
zipity
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 670 Likes on 292 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

From the pictures you have posted I can tell you the previous owner has installed the following.

Slotted and cross drilled brake rotors
Tinted windows
Red Plugs/wires

Not certain on the headers.
The exhaust may be a B&B system, since it appears they are straight pipes without any mufflers and B&B is one of the more popular straight pipe set up, besides Borla. But the Borla's would be stamped on the exhaust tips.

Post some additional pictures of the interior and we can continue to asset. I am the original owner of a 2004 CE Corvette, so I know how they came from the factory.

Nice car and congratulations. And nice Terminator Mustang too.
Old 10-03-2014, 09:52 PM
Raab3485
Advanced

Originally Posted by zipity
From the pictures you have posted I can tell you the previous owner has installed the following.

Tinted windows
Red Plugs/wires

The exhaust may be a B&B system, since it appears they are straight pipes without any mufflers and B&B is one of the more popular straight pipe set up, besides Borla. But the Borla's would be stamped on the exhaust tips.

Post some additional pictures of the interior and we can continue to asset. I am the original owner of a 2004 CE Corvette, so I know how they came from the factory.

So I did a little research, and found that B&B exhaust has a tag on the right hand set of pipes, near the rear bumper. Climbed underneath, and with the help of a mirror and a flashlight, saw the "B&B Exhaust" tag on my pipes. So that is another mod identified. Thanks for the help with that.
I also didn't even realize that they didn't come with the slotted and drilled rotors, so another bonus for me.
As for the interior, I'm fairly certain it's all pretty much bone stock in there. I know it's got a stock shifter in it, and I am hunting around for a deal on a Hurst shifter to replace it.
Old 10-03-2014, 10:09 PM
K9Leader
Burning Brakes

Received 373 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by Raab3485
And also, while I've got you all here, anyone have any idea what this red dot is doing on my reverse lens?
Well, I read in a spy novel once that putting a piece of tape or a red mark on a taillight is an easy way to be able to tail a car at night. Perhaps your vehicle's previous owner was named Bond . . . James Bond. In which case, I bet you've got some really cool mods.

K9Leader
Old 10-03-2014, 10:29 PM
Jeff T.
Race Director

Received 1,090 Likes on 797 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Hurst shifter, why?? I'm not saying anything is wrong with it but are you choosing it as the name you know?

Just a suggestion, take you time, learn your car and read the forum. There are plenty of options for most everything.

From what I've read the C6 shifter and the MGW shifter are the most popular around these part.

Good Luck!
Old 10-03-2014, 10:33 PM
Raab3485
Advanced

Originally Posted by jptgs1
Hurst shifter, why?? I'm not saying anything is wrong with it but are you choosing it as the name you know?

Just a suggestion, take you time, learn your car and read the forum. There are plenty of options for most everything.

From what I've read the C6 shifter and the MGW shifter are the most popular around these part.

Good Luck!
I've been the care taker of my Brother's 2000 Camaro SS (another low mileage beauty, only 31k original miles) for the past 6 months while he has been deployed, and have come to love the size and feel of the Hurst. Not that I'm particularly against something else, but that is what I am familiar with and have come to like.
Here is the Camaro that currently shares the garage with the Vette:

Not a bad little double dose of Chevy Horsepower in my garage right now

Last edited by Raab3485; 10-03-2014 at 10:54 PM.
Old 10-03-2014, 10:51 PM
Grim Reaper
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19

Originally Posted by zipity

Tinted windows
Red Plugs/wires

I was going to say they looked like the B&B bullets.

The headers may be ARH (American Racing), they look similar to the one I put on mine

Last edited by Grim Reaper; 10-03-2014 at 11:07 PM.
Old 10-08-2014, 05:52 PM
chrisj
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

B&B Bullet exhaust. I have that setup. Pretty loud when you add a cam.

Post up more pics and the sleuths here will help.
If you are curious about engine mods, pull off the beauty covers and get a shot of the bare engine to post.

I have a hurst that I haven't got around to posting for sale. I traded it out to try something different after about a dozen years. If you are interested send me a PM and we'll work out a deal. I still have the original box to ship in.

chris
Old 10-08-2014, 07:51 PM
Raab3485
Advanced

Originally Posted by chrisj
B&B Bullet exhaust. I have that setup. Pretty loud when you add a cam.

Post up more pics and the sleuths here will help.
If you are curious about engine mods, pull off the beauty covers and get a shot of the bare engine to post.

I have a hurst that I haven't got around to posting for sale. I traded it out to try something different after about a dozen years. If you are interested send me a PM and we'll work out a deal. I still have the original box to ship in.

chris
Here is a pic of the engine with the cover taken off:

And I noticed that some headers have this little "step down" between the front two and rear two cylinders, which mine have. Not sure if this pic is useful for anyone to try and ID them, but I still can't find a placard on the headers anywhere.
Old 10-10-2014, 11:10 AM
Raab3485
Advanced

Originally Posted by chrisj

chris
PM Sent

Get notified of new replies

To So I bought my Vette from a dealer, Time to be Sherlock Holmes on my Mods

Quick Reply: So I bought my Vette from a dealer, Time to be Sherlock Holmes on my Mods