Sponsored by:

a solutions for the "auto dim" drivers mirror

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2014, 01:24 PM
Stroker87
Melting Slicks

Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts

Default a solutions for the "auto dim" drivers mirror

So my driver side door mirror with the "auto dim" feature was stuck dim a yellow looking mirror all the time but not only that it had what looked like scuffs in side the mirror to witch made it very annoying when changing lanes so me being curious I pulled the mirror off that car (just the glass out of the housing) and started to take it a parts I found out the auto dim feature is a liquid that is in be tween the mirror and a peace of glass so I cleaned it to get rid of the liquid and put it all back together now its just a heated mirror and its is so much better, I have tinted windows so the dim feature really dont bother me any but i probably will replace it at some point if I find a good deal on one

heres the prosses (sorry didnt think of taking pics) if you do this I can not be responcible for any damage or injuries that might occur your working with glass so please used common scene and wear proper protection (with that said it was pretty easy)

1.) pull the mirror out of the housing and unplug the dim and heating wires

2.) use a heat gun and a small flat blade screw driver to pry the plastic housings a part work your way around gently until it lets loose (once the mirrors off you'll see where to pry)

3.) heat the back of the out side edge of the mirror where its glued to the plastic housing then take a sharp X-ACTO blade and cut the glue then pull the plastic away from the mirror

4.) place the mirror on a towel and separate the two peaces of glass I used the X-ACTO blade (be careful the liquid is in between) then clean the remaining liquid and put it all back together re-glue the mirror in the black plastic bezel then the bezel to the backing plate plug in the heating element and put it back in the housing

it took me about 45 minutes start to finish, putting the mirror back in the housing is a little trick and does take some force to get it back in place

EDIT: I would not use the "clear glass" its been raining here since I did this and water hag gotten in between the mirror and the clear peace of glass and after talking to a few guys they said the clear peace is used to encase the liquid and not needed since you removed it

Last edited by Stroker87; 10-14-2014 at 01:31 PM.
The following users liked this post:
ArmchairArchitect (07-30-2018)
Old 10-13-2014, 10:05 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,234 Likes on 13,933 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Thanks for the info.
Old 10-14-2014, 07:15 AM
StrangelovesM6Vert
Le Mans Master

Received 144 Likes on 123 Posts

Don't they make a peel and stick mirror glass you can just put over the old one?
Of course the auto dim won't work but for some that's not a problem.
Old 10-14-2014, 09:53 AM
Stroker87
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by StrangelovesM6Vert
Don't they make a peel and stick mirror glass you can just put over the old one?
Of course the auto dim won't work but for some that's not a problem.
yes they do but they look kinda tacky and there is nothing to cover the mirror edges there left exposed if you go that route plus you loose the heated mirror

I was just so annoyed by mine I pulled it off to see what was wrong and if I broke any thing it would just push me to by a replacement but getting rid of that liquid and putting it all back together worked out for me

I guess this is more for the guys that like to tinker with stuff......
Old 10-15-2014, 08:54 PM
El original
Melting Slicks

Received 201 Likes on 168 Posts

I purchased a aftermarket peel and stick. It does not look bad but certainly not stock... I really miss the self dimming feature. Would like to find a stock self dimming replacement mirror for cheap, will have to keep my eyes open.
Old 10-15-2014, 09:11 PM
Stroker87
Melting Slicks

my mirror was messed up when I purchased my car and it just got to annoying for me being it was dark & blurry really useless the way it was so I pulled it a part so at least I have a good mirror now the auto dim is some thing I'll replace when one come up for a good deal, my tinted windows will help get me by till them

it looks stock it be hard for any one to tell it was a auto dimming mirror, it was simple enough to do
Old 02-10-2019, 10:35 PM
Bob'z Hot Rodz
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Once I got the halves split, I cut the glue around the edge of the glass.

The glue was pretty tough, but I knew I was making progress when I saw the liquid start to come out.

Once I finally got the plastic trim off, the liquid came out and the clear glass came off the mirror.

All apart. I used laquer thinner and rubbing alcohol to clean the lenses.

The electrical conductor came off also.

It took some effort to get all the old glue scraped out.

All clean and ready to go back together. I cleaned the mirror and clear lense, put some clear silicone adhesive around the edge of the glass to keep water out, then set both lenses together in a bed of silicone in the plastic trim.

Get notified of new replies

To a solutions for the "auto dim" drivers mirror

Quick Reply: a solutions for the "auto dim" drivers mirror