Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best rotor and pad combo under $250

Old 12-01-2014, 02:22 PM
lucky99
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Best rotor and pad combo under $250

I am looking for the best set of drilled and slotted rotors and pad for under $250. Let me start off by saying this Vette is not tracked or raced at all. Just out on weekends etc. It is a 99 and still has the original rotors and one or more is warped so time to change them all.
Old 12-01-2014, 03:30 PM
Chicago1
Race Director

Received 321 Likes on 208 Posts

there was a vendor here https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...9-shipped.html

205 shipped...they are on ebay now
Old 12-01-2014, 03:37 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 475 Likes on 422 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

For that amount of money you want to spend, you are not going to get quality drilled/slotted rotors and pads. Maybe $250 per axle would be reasonable.

Unless you want the "bling" appearance from the rotors and considering you don't push the car, look at OEM replacements. Raybestos, Centric, and NAPA are all good quality rotors. Stock GM pads will work fine too for your application. There are a variety of stock-style pads available too. Look over at Rockauto for some decent deals.
Old 12-01-2014, 03:38 PM
allred
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Brakemotive gets great reviews from everyone on the forum, myself included. Drilled and slotted rotors, zinc coated, includes pads. Fantastic product at excellent prices.

As stated by Chicago1, they are available on e-bay, with free, fast shipping. Can't go wrong. (They are actually on sale right now for $170 full set including ceramic pads).

Forum poll:
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ed-rotors.html

E-Bay link:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/FRONT-REAR-4-PERFORMANCE-DRILLED-SLOTTED-BRAKE-ROTORS-AND-8-CERAMIC-PADS-M590-C5-/390411249426?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Model%3ACorvette&hash=item5ae652e712&vxp=mtr
Old 12-01-2014, 03:46 PM
johnsos30
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by allred
Brakemotive gets great reviews from everyone on the forum, myself included. Drilled and slotted rotors, zinc coated, includes pads. Fantastic product at excellent prices.

As stated by Chicago1, they are available on e-bay, with free, fast shipping. Can't go wrong. (They are actually on sale right now for $170 full set including ceramic pads).

Forum poll:
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ed-rotors.html

E-Bay link:
Front Rear 4 Performance Drilled Slotted Brake Rotors and 8 Ceramic Pads M590 C5 | eBay
This is where I got mine from. Good product and fast delivery. Recommended
Old 12-01-2014, 03:59 PM
Black 02
Safety Car

Received 427 Likes on 316 Posts

I have the brakemotive setup and have no complaints.
Old 12-01-2014, 04:30 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

Received 3,812 Likes on 1,925 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04

its always best to buy the cheapest rotors and pads that you can find...
Old 12-01-2014, 05:02 PM
2FAS4UU
Burning Brakes

Received 74 Likes on 63 Posts

Default Rotors

The ole' $ .02 worth reply. I currently run cryro/cad drill/slotted rotors with powerstop semi-metallic pads on my 99' FRC, and upon the time to replace them in the future I will go with 'slotted' rotors 'only' (my choice). Please do a little research on rotors and pads and you will see a lot of varied opinions. You will only benefit yourself, your car, your passengers, if you spend just a tad more to get a good grade set of rotors. If you are wanting the bling factor, that's Ok, but when you see what rotors are put on top end performance sports cars ( foreign or domestic) they are equipped with 'slotted' mostly. In the end you will make the choice and money can certainly be the determining factor, so whatever you choose make sure you properly season the rotors and bedding of pads to obtain the best results of whatever you choose. By the way look at what C7's are running, Good Luck and have fun !!
Old 12-02-2014, 04:37 AM
dopefedz
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

I've have brakemotives on my TL Type S, Formula and Camaro SS. No complaints or issues with mine. I'll be ordering two more sets this week for the G35 and my FRC.
Old 12-02-2014, 07:18 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,188 Likes on 13,911 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Brakemotive does get good reviews from owners here on the forum. Certainly worth looking into.
Old 12-02-2014, 09:13 AM
troyguitar
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Centric premium blanks and stoptech street performance pads is the best bang for the buck by far. Forum vendor KNS Brakes has the combo for $276 shipped:

http://www.knsbrakes.com/c/car-serie...nce+Brake+Pads
Old 12-04-2014, 01:20 PM
RoccoC5
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Evil-Twin
I agree wholeheartedly!

In truth, I've been running some generic drilled rotors for 40K and haven't had any issues. When it's time to replace I'll probably go with the setup recommended by troyguitar.
Old 12-04-2014, 03:47 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

Received 3,812 Likes on 1,925 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04

Originally Posted by RoccoC5
I agree wholeheartedly!

In truth, I've been running some generic drilled rotors for 40K and haven't had any issues. When it's time to replace I'll probably go with the setup recommended by troyguitar.
My one attempt at sarcasm... considering the hundreds of posts I've made on quality brakes and rotors.....that fell on deaf ears... I find it funny that quality brakes and rotors are the things that stop the car.. asking for cheap brakes and rotrs is like asking for a cheap brain surgeon... people can go through life and never need a high quality rotor, brake pad compound or quality tire. So anything they buy they endorse... Only scientific testing at all demand levels can give you real quality results... the difference between quality pads and rotors could be 20 feet in stopping distance... and when you ask your cheap rotors and pads to get you to stop from going head on into a jack knifed gasoline hauler, where you only had 100 feet to stop and your cheap pads and rotors were only capable to stop you in 120 ft.. which puts you 20 feet into the Gasoline hauler. Brake pads an rotors and tires are something you should not chap out on... most people on this forum never had to make a panic stop on the highway doing 70 + , and ABS requires incremented stopping pulses.. ABS alone does not make for a shorter stopping distance. AS many people think...if Abs was the sole discriminator, then there would not be the need for so many compounds, so many rotor designs, so many test to check for fade under load.. My sarcasm in this thread was in an attempt to point out that its not really a good idea to buy inexpensive pads and rotors because so many people say so People who never had to actually use them to save their life or never spent a minute on a test track..

BTW, next to the BMW brake design and compounds.. the C5 Corvette brake design was the absolute best factory brake design offered in the country at the time.. we spent a lot of time testing BMW compounds...they don't use Ceramics and they are the dirtiest compound, but they do the absolute best job in stopping under a panic.. the dirtiest pads compounds are the best for stopping ability... hard ceramic pads are the absolute worse, as I have said hundreds of times.. I often think about those wanting less dust, and in the end when they scrape someone up off the highway because they chose ceramic pads and could not make a successful panic stop some one would say " yeah but he had no brake dust on his wheels.

Last edited by Evil-Twin; 12-04-2014 at 03:54 PM.
The following users liked this post:
98VetteRagTop (08-05-2017)
Old 12-04-2014, 04:08 PM
troyguitar
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

FWIW I use the stoptech pads for street and autox, no fade in threshold braking from the rev limited in 2nd gear on sticky-ish Bridgestone RE-11 tires. They're not ceramic or low dust, they simply work well and are cheap. I use spray wax on my wheels so the dust doesn't stick that much, you can blow it right off with compressed air.
Old 12-04-2014, 05:57 PM
yaknow
Le Mans Master

Received 220 Likes on 153 Posts

I run C6Z51 brakes but, they are more expensive than 250 an axle. The up side is they do a great job of stopping all the time.
Old 12-05-2014, 10:34 AM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

Received 490 Likes on 417 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11,'13

Get a set of Carbotech 1521 pads and centric rotors. This is a quality set up that performs and will be quiet and low dust.

F: pads $140 R: pads $120

F: rotor $50 R: rotor $41

Carbotech™ Bobcat 1521™ The Carbotech Bobcat 1521™ is our high performance street compound that is our most successful compound. The Bobcat compound is known for its awesome release and modulation, along with unmatched rotor friendliness. Like our AX™ & XP™ line of compounds, Bobcat 1521™ is a Ceramic based friction material offering minimal rotor damage and non-corrosive dust. Bobcat 1521™ offers outstanding performance, even when cold, low dusting and low noise with an excellent initial bite. This compound’s virtually perfect linear torque production provides incredible braking force without ABS intervention. Bobcat 1521™ operating range starts out at ambient and goes up to 900°F. Bobcat 1521™ is suitable for ALL street cars, perfect for your tow vehicle, police cruiser. The Bobcat 1521™ compound has been found to last two-three times longer than OE pads you can purchase at a dealership or national retailer. That’s one of the beauties of Carbotech Ceramic brake compounds. Bobcat 1521™ is NOT recommended for any track use.
PH:216-780-8825.
Email: sales@ampdautosport.com
Web Site & Direct ordering http://ampdautosport.com/
All major CC and Pay Pal accepted.
Check out Promo code:z28
Old 12-06-2014, 01:01 AM
2FAS4UU
Burning Brakes

Received 74 Likes on 63 Posts

My one attempt at sarcasm... considering the hundreds of posts I've made on quality brakes and rotors.....that fell on deaf ears... I find it funny that quality brakes and rotors are the things that stop the car.. asking for cheap brakes and rotrs is like asking for a cheap brain surgeon... people can go through life and never need a high quality rotor, brake pad compound or quality tire. So anything they buy they endorse... Only scientific testing at all demand levels can give you real quality results... the difference between quality pads and rotors could be 20 feet in stopping distance... and when you ask your cheap rotors and pads to get you to stop from going head on into a jack knifed gasoline hauler, where you only had 100 feet to stop and your cheap pads and rotors were only capable to stop you in 120 ft.. which puts you 20 feet into the Gasoline hauler. Brake pads an rotors and tires are something you should not chap out on... most people on this forum never had to make a panic stop on the highway doing 70 + , and ABS requires incremented stopping pulses.. ABS alone does not make for a shorter stopping distance. AS many people think...if Abs was the sole discriminator, then there would not be the need for so many compounds, so many rotor designs, so many test to check for fade under load.. My sarcasm in this thread was in an attempt to point out that its not really a good idea to buy inexpensive pads and rotors because so many people say so People who never had to actually use them to save their life or never spent a minute on a test track..

BTW, next to the BMW brake design and compounds.. the C5 Corvette brake design was the absolute best factory brake design offered in the country at the time.. we spent a lot of time testing BMW compounds...they don't use Ceramics and they are the dirtiest compound, but they do the absolute best job in stopping under a panic.. the dirtiest pads compounds are the best for stopping ability... hard ceramic pads are the absolute worse, as I have said hundreds of times.. I often think about those wanting less dust, and in the end when they scrape someone up off the highway because they chose ceramic pads and could not make a successful panic stop some one would say " yeah but he had no brake dust on his wheels.
I'll take the time, to clean the dust off of mine, and stop on a dime, ceramics are for the garage queens and lazy owners. I have gone through that cycle of trying ceramic pads and they suck!! We drive fast cars and stopping should be the biggest priority !!

Get notified of new replies

To Best rotor and pad combo under $250

Old 12-06-2014, 02:27 AM
Voodoo13
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I read this and thought you had finally lost your mind
Old 12-06-2014, 03:14 AM
striper
Le Mans Master

Received 246 Likes on 215 Posts

Despite the negative comments, at the time I needed rotors due to some more expensive rotors cracking, and I was low on funds at the time, so I took a shot based on the good reviews of Brakemotive. I paid $180 for 4 brand new d/s rotors with pads, shipped. I have been extremely surprised. These have worked great and many miles later are still working great. No cracking, rusting etc. I am thinking though of replacing the pads with something that has better initial bite and getting more wheel cleaner (lol). Maybe then the rotors might not last so long, but right now they are holding up great and the car does stop extremely, surprisingly well. I'd still recommend the Brakemotive set.
Old 12-06-2014, 03:08 PM
SG Lou
Safety Car

Received 486 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by striper
Despite the negative comments, at the time I needed rotors due to some more expensive rotors cracking, and I was low on funds at the time, so I took a shot based on the good reviews of Brakemotive. I paid $180 for 4 brand new d/s rotors with pads, shipped. I have been extremely surprised. These have worked great and many miles later are still working great. No cracking, rusting etc. I am thinking though of replacing the pads with something that has better initial bite and getting more wheel cleaner (lol). Maybe then the rotors might not last so long, but right now they are holding up great and the car does stop extremely, surprisingly well. I'd still recommend the Brakemotive set.
I have had Brakemotive rotors and pads on my car since Jan 2011. I wasn't too thrilled with their pads as it created a lot of dust so I replaced the pads with AC Delco DuraStop Ceramics. So,other then the pads I think I got the most for my buck. Granted my 04 isn't a DD nor do I track it.

When it comes time for new rotors I will buy from them again !

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Best rotor and pad combo under $250