Sponsored by:

White LED solution from Radioflyer Innovations

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2014, 09:34 AM
TheRadioFlyer
Supporting Vendor

Received 630 Likes on 346 Posts

Default White DRL solution from Radioflyer Innovations

For those of you who have been wanting a white DRL while still retaining the Amber turn signal function, you know that because of the design of the corvette's turn signal circuit, both the DRL and turn signal are Amber and any change required significant re-wiring....

....until now

Radioflyer Innovations is proud to introduce the first Direct plug-and-play adapter harness that converts the DRL function to white using traditional switchback bulbs.

Video showing function with our Cree switchback LED Bulb. (C5 owners can use the Gen 5 switchback bulb with the factory bulb mount or the Cree LED bulb if the rear-mount modification is ordered)

How does it work? Our harness uses a solid-state time delay-off circuit to power the Amber portion of the switchback bulb that resets every time the power is shut off. The DRL power is run though the harness to the white portion of the switchback bulb. A set of diodes prevent backfeed to each circuit. The result:

Turn signal/Hazard: flashing amber/off/amber/off
DRL and Parking light: White

The harness for the C5 does NOT have a resistor. It's recommended to use the Hyperflash harness instead.

Harness is offered for the C5 in 2 versions:
A) Plug and play version, simply remove switchback bulb from the socket, connect install the harness and install the bulb in the new socket.
B) Splice in version with no connectors. Installation involves cutting harness to turn signal socket and splicing the harness in place. (slightly cleaner finished look and less expensive)

Harnesses are available for Pre-order here.
http://shop.radioflyerinnovations.co...arness-089.htm

Switchback bulbs available here:
http://www.shop.radioflyerinnovation...-Bulbs-055.htm

First harnesses will ship Late December.

Last edited by TheRadioFlyer; 12-15-2014 at 09:44 AM.
Old 12-16-2014, 10:53 AM
TheRadioFlyer
Supporting Vendor

bump
Old 12-16-2014, 02:23 PM
BitchinV
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Nice, Ill have to order these when I get clear corners. Which bulb is brighter and do you think looks better in the housing, the Gen 5 or Cree?
Old 12-16-2014, 04:25 PM
StrangelovesM6Vert
Le Mans Master

Received 144 Likes on 123 Posts

Will these work with the euro tails?
I bought LEDs and a harness like this on ebay but returned them because they screwed up the signals with dash lights coming on when I pressed the brakes and other funhouse dysfunctions.

Last edited by StrangelovesM6Vert; 12-16-2014 at 04:28 PM.
Old 12-16-2014, 04:58 PM
TheRadioFlyer
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by StrangelovesM6Vert
Will these work with the euro tails?
I bought LEDs and a harness like this on ebay but returned them because they screwed up the signals with dash lights coming on when I pressed the brakes and other funhouse dysfunctions.
There should be no issue with your lights. In my experience The "poltergeist" problem you had with the LED bulbs has to do with a weak ground in the engine bay. The LEDs simply showed the problem. It's a rare issue, but with the factory bulbs you're unlikely to ever notice the problem.

I would recommend getting our hyperflash harness as well, this way if you decide to upgrade the bulbs in your euro tails to LED, you can just plug in the new bulbs.
Old 12-16-2014, 05:30 PM
StrangelovesM6Vert
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by theradioflyer
There should be no issue with your lights. In my experience The "poltergeist" problem you had with the LED bulbs has to do with a weak ground in the engine bay. The LEDs simply showed the problem. It's a rare issue, but with the factory bulbs you're unlikely to ever notice the problem.

I would recommend getting our hyperflash harness as well, this way if you decide to upgrade the bulbs in your euro tails to LED, you can just plug in the new bulbs.
I cut these out and soldered all the grounds to washers.
I also have a Big 3 kit.

It was the rear LEDs I tried that turned on the dash lights when I pressed the brakes.

So if I get your front and rear LEDs and your harness it will all work?

The other guy told me his harness and LEDs would not work with the eurotails after I contacted him.
Old 12-16-2014, 08:40 PM
TheRadioFlyer
Supporting Vendor

I cut these out and soldered all the grounds to washers.
I also have a Big 3 kit.

It was the rear LEDs I tried that turned on the dash lights when I pressed the brakes.

So if I get your front and rear LEDs and your harness it will all work?

The other guy told me his harness and LEDs would not work with the eurotails after I contacted him.
Interesting. I have never heard of this issue with euro tail lights before. Is your car an export with euro from the factory or is it an aftermarkert modification to s North American spec car?

We have used LEDs in both types of cars before without issue, but this may be a good place to look for the source of the problem.
Old 12-17-2014, 05:25 AM
StrangelovesM6Vert
Le Mans Master

Interesting. I have never heard of this issue with euro tail lights before. Is your car an export with euro from the factory or is it an aftermarkert modification to s North American spec car?

We have used LEDs in both types of cars before without issue, but this may be a good place to look for the source of the problem.
My car is American spec.
The other guy's harness clipped in between a connector under the dash but I see your setup is different.
I will try out your product as I don't think there's anything wrong with my car as far as grounds go or otherwise.
Old 12-17-2014, 07:55 AM
john8642
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

What is the difference in brightness between the LED bulbs and the LED strip?
Old 12-17-2014, 08:52 AM
TheRadioFlyer
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by john8642
What is the difference in brightness between the LED bulbs and the LED strip?
Our current Gen 5 switchback bulbs are brighter than the LED strip and because they make use of the reflector will appear even brighter still. The LED strip is more of an effects light.
Old 12-17-2014, 03:10 PM
VerTigo456
Melting Slicks

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

I definitely will be switching out my first gen switchbacks with these!
Old 05-17-2015, 01:02 AM
T_Vert
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Same deal for me. Euro tails cut wire and dash lights illuminate when hitting brakes. Anyone solve this?

Dave

My car is American spec.
The other guy's harness clipped in between a connector under the dash but I see your setup is different.
I will try out your product as I don't think there's anything wrong with my car as far as grounds go or otherwise.
Old 05-17-2015, 03:28 AM
StrangelovesM6Vert
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by T_Vert
Same deal for me. Euro tails cut wire and dash lights illuminate when hitting brakes. Anyone solve this?

Dave
Ya
Don't run LEDs in the back with 3 circuit euro tails

No problems with the new front LED switchback harnesses
and the euro tails though.

Works fine.
Old 05-17-2015, 07:43 AM
TheRadioFlyer
Supporting Vendor

Dave
Do all your parking lights come on when hitting the brakes? If so this means you may be getting bleed over from the brake light circuit to your parking light circuit.
Old 05-17-2015, 10:57 AM
T_Vert
Le Mans Master

Do all your parking lights come on when hitting the brakes? If so this means you may be getting bleed over from the brake light circuit to your parking light circuit.
Yes they do. Its just like turning the lights on. Any idea how to resolve this?

Dave
Old 05-17-2015, 11:55 AM
TheRadioFlyer
Supporting Vendor

Yes they do. Its just like turning the lights on. Any idea how to resolve this?

Dave
Remove the white DRL harnesses and see if the problem still occurs. If so, you can install a diode on the white DRL harness (on the connection for the "B" circuit to prevent back feed into the parking light circuit. The current version of our white DRL harnesses have these diodes already installed. Only a hand full of our harnesses were part of a revision that did not have this diode installed. I'm willing to bet that your dash light probably blink with the turn signals as well. A diode on each harness will solve your problem.

If you would prefer, we can install the diode for you, but this will require you to send us your harnesses.
Old 05-17-2015, 02:21 PM
T_Vert
Le Mans Master

Remove the white DRL harnesses and see if the problem still occurs. If so, you can install a diode on the white DRL harness (on the connection for the "B" circuit to prevent back feed into the parking light circuit. The current version of our white DRL harnesses have these diodes already installed. Only a hand full of our harnesses were part of a revision that did not have this diode installed. I'm willing to bet that your dash light probably blink with the turn signals as well. A diode on each harness will solve your problem.

If you would prefer, we can install the diode for you, but this will require you to send us your harnesses.
Will try to bypass harness and report results. What is the "B" circuit? I assume a 1A diode would be sufficient?

Dave

Last edited by T_Vert; 05-17-2015 at 02:25 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To White LED solution from Radioflyer Innovations

Old 05-17-2015, 03:54 PM
TheRadioFlyer
Supporting Vendor

Will try to bypass harness and report results. What is the "B" circuit? I assume a 1A diode would be sufficient?

Dave
If you look at the back of the factory socket, you'll see each wire input marked "A, B and G"

A = high power (DRL/Turn signal)
B = Low power (Parking lights)
G = Ground

You want a diode on the B circuit which should be the middle wire. You can install this on the harness we provided if you don't want to mess with your factory wiring. Just make a note of the contacts and their position in the black connector to identify the correct wire. If you are in doubt, send me a photo and I can ID the correct wire.
Old 05-17-2015, 04:08 PM
T_Vert
Le Mans Master

Thanks. I would assume if the problem still occurs after unplugging the DRL's and the harness that the problem won't be resolved w/ the diode right? I also assume that if this does NOT occur with the DRL's plugged in that I'll need a diode on both harnesses correct?

Thanks
Dave
Old 05-17-2015, 07:45 PM
TheRadioFlyer
Supporting Vendor

Thanks. I would assume if the problem still occurs after unplugging the DRL's and the harness that the problem won't be resolved w/ the diode right? I also assume that if this does NOT occur with the DRL's plugged in that I'll need a diode on both harnesses correct?

Thanks
Dave
If you unplug the white DRL harness from the factory socket and you still have the problem, the diode in the harness will not help as your problem is elsewhere.

If you do end up needing a diode, you will need one on both sides.

Quick Reply: White LED solution from Radioflyer Innovations