Sponsored by:

Who makes the best shorty header for a relative stock 97

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2014, 12:48 AM
scottieg74
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Who makes the best shorty header for a relative stock 97

Ok guys before you all say long tubes keep in mind. I dont want to have to modify my egr or air tubes.

I want a simple bolt on.. no headaches no worries about passing emissions. That being said my 97 is all stock except for a flowmaster force II axel back. Only other engine mods i plan are a cold air induction and possible a ls6 intake manifold.

Opinions please dont hold back given what year c5 i have and my end goal mods

Thanks in advance :-)
Old 12-25-2014, 01:38 AM
itzza427
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Have not really followed the shorty header brands,,but I think Doug's headers does make them. I'd just stick with a brand name to insure quality construction and fitment. Bottom line there is not going to be a big spread in power from one brand to another. If you live in California you do need to find a brand with a CARB number.
I'm sure you are going to get ragged on by the LONG TUBE OR NOTHING crowd but,, according to the answer guy for Chevy High Performance magazine long and short tube headers make very similar horsepower numbers. They DO however fall a little short (no pun intended) in the torque numbers. You will still do better than stock even with the shorty headers. I might even add them to mine someday for the same reasons,,,,not wanting to do major revamp on the entire emission system. I already have Corsa axel back and Blackwing intake on, and a Corsa X-pipe waiting in the garage.Managed a 13.08 with this setup.
Don't let them badger you, Shorties will be an improvement over stock. Check Jeg's and Summit for starters,might even be som Forum vendors that carry them and just don't mention it.
Old 12-25-2014, 01:42 AM
scottieg74
Racer

Originally Posted by itzza427
Have not really followed the shorty header brands,,but I think Doug's headers does make them. I'd just stick with a brand name to insure quality construction and fitment. Bottom line there is not going to be a big spread in power from one brand to another. If you live in California you do need to find a brand with a CARB number.
I'm sure you are going to get ragged on by the LONG TUBE OR NOTHING crowd but,, according to the answer guy for Chevy High Performance magazine long and short tube headers make very similar horsepower numbers. They DO however fall a little short (no pun intended) in the torque numbers. You will still do better than stock even with the shorty headers. I might even add them to mine someday for the same reasons,,,,not wanting to do major revamp on the entire emission system. I already have Corsa axel back and Blackwing intake on, and a Corsa X-pipe waiting in the garage.Managed a 13.08 with this setup.
Don't let them badger you, Shorties will be an improvement over stock. Check Jeg's and Summit for starters,might even be som Forum vendors that carry them and just don't mention it.
Thanks :-) from what i understand shorties will make a bigger improvement on 97 to 99's since the exhaust manifolds are more restrictive. Also note I do not live in California. I live in Las Vegas
Old 12-25-2014, 02:25 AM
momo20
Safety Car

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

I have the LG longtubes on my 03 Z06 and I did not have to modify my air tube, they bolt in just like the stock location does. I have high flow cat's as well..
Old 12-25-2014, 02:28 AM
scottieg74
Racer

Originally Posted by momo20
I have the LG longtubes on my 03 Z06 and I did not have to modify my air tube, they bolt in just like the stock location does. I have high flow cat's as well..

Yes from my understanding most headers are direct replacement from 00 to 04 or 01 to 04 forgot the cut off. But 97's need to be altered. The egr air tubes dont match up on the passengers side. I dont want the headaches to gigure out how to make them match up or the headaches every year worring about passing emissions in Las Vegas
Old 12-25-2014, 05:00 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,286 Likes on 13,962 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

I have heard B&B makes a very good shorty header system. Might want to check with them if any mods would be required.
Old 12-25-2014, 06:32 AM
scottieg74
Racer

Originally Posted by Vetteman Jack
I have heard B&B makes a very good shorty header system. Might want to check with them if any mods would be required.

Appreciate it. Ill look into it 😊
Old 12-25-2014, 06:37 AM
oldschoolvette
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Vetteman Jack
they do if you are dead set on shorty

these are a good option and yes on the older C5 it will make a noticeable difference

not crazy but you should be able to get some seat of the pants action
Old 12-25-2014, 08:05 PM
kennedy759
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

my 97 has shorty headers, they came with it when I bought it, so I don`t know what kind they are or improvement in performance, I also have a k&n coi, and a dynamax axle back exhaust. the mods were done in vegas by a previous owner.
Old 12-25-2014, 10:02 PM
NOMOREWORK
Racer

Received 94 Likes on 47 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

I have BBK shorties on my 98 and they went on without any issues. Not very pricey and they seem well made.
Old 12-25-2014, 10:28 PM
c5vetteguy
Melting Slicks

Received 231 Likes on 163 Posts
2018 C5 of Year Finalist

I've got the B&B shorties on my '98 and have had no problems. A very good quality product, and they weigh about half as much as the stock manifolds. If you can swing it, throw on a pair of free flow cats and an x-pipe. Really lets the engine breathe easier, particularly with a CAI and LS6 intake manifold.
Old 12-26-2014, 08:47 PM
scottieg74
Racer

Originally Posted by c5vetteguy
I've got the B&B shorties on my '98 and have had no problems. A very good quality product, and they weigh about half as much as the stock manifolds. If you can swing it, throw on a pair of free flow cats and an x-pipe. Really lets the engine breathe easier, particularly with a CAI and LS6 intake manifold.

That is definitely the plan. Id like to get some shorties and high flow cats and x pipe. Do you think this will make the car sound louder. I have the Flowmaster force II axelbacks. Its seems pretty quiet at idle. Would be an added bonus if it did
Old 12-26-2014, 09:51 PM
c5vetteguy
Melting Slicks

Received 231 Likes on 163 Posts
2018 C5 of Year Finalist

My axel-back is the Z06 titanium, which is a bit more aggressive in sound over the stock exhaust. The combination of the free flow cats along with headers makes that slightly louder/throatier. With the x-pipe tieing them together, you get a smoother, less "burbular/pop-ular" note. Sounds great on WOT (for my taste), but quite mellow when highway cruising with the top down.

Get notified of new replies

To Who makes the best shorty header for a relative stock 97

Quick Reply: Who makes the best shorty header for a relative stock 97