Sponsored by:

Save the wave!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2015, 07:55 PM
BodaciousBlue
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Save the wave!!

I have been Waving at other vettes and no one seems to wave back anymore. What's up guys and gals?? I know were in the winter season and its cold but let's keep the up this tradition of

SAVE THE WAVE...

What is "The Wave"?

From the August/September 1969 issue of Corvette News

Ever since Corvette No. 00001 first met Corvette No. 00002 on the road, their drivers saluted each other with waves. Today, unfortunately, this grand and glorious tradition is wavering. WAVE WHEN YOU PASS ANOTHER CORVETTE!

There's one item of standard equipment that comes as a pleasant surprise to every new Corvette owner. It's an instant wave of recognition he or she receives when he meets one of their ilks on the road. The first time it happens, they will be taken by surprise. He immediately thinks: 1. He has been mistaken for Sterling Moss. 2. His lights are on. 3. He has just been given the bird.

Soon, however, the new Vette owner anticipates, indeed even relishes, encountering other Vettes as he drives. During this period, he experiments with his waves, running the gamut from the gaping "yoo hoo" to the ultra cool "two finger flip." He perfects his timing, making sure he affects neither a too-early wave, nor the jaded "oh brother" too-late variety. Determined not to be one upped, he even develops a defense mechanism for non wavers, usually settling on the "Wave"? My hand was just on the way to scratch my head" approach. (This is especially useful when you're not driving your Vette, but you forget, and like a dummy, you wave anyway.)

Indeed, one of the most perplexing problems facing a would-be waver is what to do when driving next to a fellow Vette owner. Passing him going in opposite directions is one thing. Greetings are exchanged, and that's that. But what happens when you pull up next to a guy at a light, wave, nod, smile and then pull up to him at the next light, a block later? Wave again? Nod bashfully? Grin self-consciously? Ignore him? Or take the chicken's way out and turn down the next side street? If you're expecting an answer, you won't find it here. Sad to say, some questions don't have any. SAVE THE WAVE!

Girl-type Corvette drivers also have a unique problem: to wave or not to wave. This miss or misses who borrows her man's Corvette for the first time is immediately faced with this quandary. Should she wave first and look overly friendly, or ignore the wave and look like a snob? Most ladies who drive their own Vettes prefer to suffer the latter rather than take a chance of being misread. For this reason, all girls are excused for occasionally failing to return a well-meaning wave. So are new owners who are still learning the ropes.

There is no excuse, however, for a guy who refuses to return the wave, not out of ignorance, but of arrogance or apathy. While this type of behavior is the exception to the rule, it seems a few owners of newer models refuse to recognize anything older than theirs, while some others simply won't wave, period. Boo on them. These ding-a-lings don't seem to realize that they are helping to squash a tradition that had its beginnings back when most of us were still driving tootsietoys.

Wave "Rules"
Old 01-06-2015, 08:11 PM
Stingray Wes
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Love the wave!

Old 01-06-2015, 08:15 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

Received 3,812 Likes on 1,925 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04

Back when a coke was a " Coke ", and a Hoe was a " Hoe " a Corvette and its owner was a special combination of man and machine, when I was at GM and dealing with the passion that designing and being a part of the Corvette Heritage was something to be proud of, including the wave, which from my early personal recognition, in the 1950's, made ownership of a Corvette, a very special part of a very special American Icon.
Today the people who own Corvette ( in many cases ) are not the Old guard, defending and hanging on to the tradition that was so rich for so many years.. The Corvette , itself , no longer holds the same values as it once did, Its not longer about America, or Apple Pie.. The wave is going the route of the head light, and all things that once remained the food of the American Highway. I still wave and have been waving for over 50 years. I will go to my grave waving.. at least for me , many people around here still cling to the wave. no matter what generation.
Todays Corvette owner is not as proud as they once where with ownership of the best American sports car to ever be a part of the American Landscape... Todays Corvette owner is proud to be the owner of a Car trying to catch up to the Euro Super Cars, and they could car less about the Beach Boys.
Old 01-06-2015, 08:31 PM
Voodoo13
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wave, always, but sometimes I don't see you as i am focussed on my driving. Other times, by the time I see you it is too late. If you don't wave back, I assume you didn't see me for the same reasons.
Old 01-06-2015, 08:35 PM
Endeka
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Always do. Always.
Old 01-06-2015, 08:36 PM
jdvann
Melting Slicks

Received 451 Likes on 253 Posts

She's my "little deuce coupe"...
Old 01-06-2015, 08:59 PM
donald4972
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 116 Likes on 81 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

I always wave, if I see you.

I like the feeling of brotherhood, we share, admiring and respecting each others car; when i and another Corvette owner smile and wave at each other.

Sadly, I think there are those, who have C7, and have no idea that the '7' means Seventh generation Corvette. And they don't care!
Many times, it's written in that portion of the forum, that they think all who own other generations, are simply C7 wannabe's. Their disregard for the history and tradition of all the Corvettes which came before; I find very distasteful.

I get no waves (not a single one, so far) from those folks in C7, as all too many of them think the traditions old fashioned, the older Corvettes irrelevant, and that the history of Corvette started in 2014.

As another member stated somewhere recently (in another thread I think), that he found out just a few days ago, that C7 'has an Economy Mode'. Then he wrote, 'really, how fancy'. Is that why someone buys Corvette, now days, he asked?

But, I will continue to wave at them, anyway...

Don
Old 01-06-2015, 10:21 PM
Yello95
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,227 Likes on 874 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by jdvann
She's my "little deuce coupe"...
jdvann...what a fantastic shot of your Vette
Old 01-06-2015, 10:22 PM
SMT1004
Burning Brakes

Received 187 Likes on 127 Posts

I was really excited three months ago to get my first vette and share in the wave, sadly I'm still waiting to get my first return wave. I rarely see another C5 mostly C6 and the drivers seem oblivious to my wave. Could be the area I'm locate, Still excited abiut my vette though.
Old 01-06-2015, 10:44 PM
sonny557
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yesterday I passed a C4 going the opposite direction and an older model stingray and both drivers waved back.
Passed a C7 in Buccees parking lot and got the glance over and look away, apparently due to overcast skies and my shiny wax job I was invisible.......w/e. A little WOT,,,,,AND A SMALL BURNOUT the smile comes back !!!
Old 01-06-2015, 10:44 PM
MotoJB
Le Mans Master

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

I wave and usually get them back...when I don't I give 'em the bird (kidding).
Old 01-06-2015, 11:03 PM
jdvann
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Yello95
jdvann...what a fantastic shot of your Vette
Thanks! I love em!

Old 01-06-2015, 11:08 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,291 Likes on 13,965 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Originally Posted by donald4972
I always wave, if I see you.

Sadly, I think there are those, who have C7, and have no idea that the '7' means Seventh generation Corvette. And they don't care!
Many times, it's written in that portion of the forum, that they think all who own other generations, are simply C7 wannabe's. Their disregard for the history and tradition of all the Corvettes which came before; I find very distasteful.
I wave every chance I get also, but in many cases the other driver does not acknowledge it. And from what I have seen, it covers all the generations of the Corvette. Sad that a tradition is in decline.

And you're right about some in the C7 section. For them it may be their first Vette and unfortunately they do not seem to have an appreciation for where the C7 came from. Hopefully with more exposure to the Vette ownership experience, their attitude will change.
Old 01-06-2015, 11:24 PM
jdvann
Melting Slicks

They will come around...my wife and I were riding down the freeway a couple of weeks ago and a Blade Silver C7 pulled along side and his wife was taking a picture of us...it did make us feel good as they waved and pulled ahead. That's what it's all about...feeling good!
Old 01-07-2015, 01:55 AM
Modern Musclecar
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sometimes when my vette has been parked for a few months and then I finally drive it again the wave comes as almost a shock to me, like I'm doing something wrong
Old 01-07-2015, 06:37 AM
black match box
Burning Brakes

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

SAVE THE WAVE. I always wave even if I am in my jeep and a corvette is comming the other way.
Old 01-07-2015, 07:46 AM
jakecol
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I wave every chance I can and I don't discriminate against any Generation. I'll miss once in a while due to concentrating on driving.

Get notified of new replies

To Save the wave!!

Old 01-07-2015, 07:52 AM
TXGS507
Race Director

Received 1,679 Likes on 1,135 Posts

Drive about 8 miles North of you, I'll wave at ya...

Originally Posted by SMT1004
I was really excited three months ago to get my first vette and share in the wave, sadly I'm still waiting to get my first return wave. I rarely see another C5 mostly C6 and the drivers seem oblivious to my wave. Could be the area I'm locate, Still excited abiut my vette though.
Old 01-07-2015, 09:44 AM
C5Txfan
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by jakecol
I wave every chance I can and I don't discriminate against any Generation. I'll miss once in a while due to concentrating on driving.
same here .. been waving since my first '65 I got back in '66 - it did seem a little more 'special' back then as you didn't see all that many Vettes on the road.
Old 01-07-2015, 11:00 AM
99 VET
Burning Brakes

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
Oldtimer
St. Jude Donor '13

Very well stated Evil-Twin! I wave & will continue to wave to all Corvette's. Long live the Corvette & the "Wave".

Quick Reply: Save the wave!!