Sponsored by:

Coolant reservoir tank is weeping

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2015, 10:10 PM
scottcolbath
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Coolant reservoir tank is weeping

So I'm going to swap it out. Are there any good options other than a stock GM replacement? I'm just curious. I'll most likely just pick up a new one from GM.

S.C.
Old 01-06-2015, 10:16 PM
scottcolbath
Instructor

Hell, why am I even asking, when I can get a new OEM tank here:

Amazon.com: ACDelco 10405218 GM Original Equipment Engine Coolant Recovery Tank: Automotive Amazon.com: ACDelco 10405218 GM Original Equipment Engine Coolant Recovery Tank: Automotive

For some reason, I got no good hits on my first search. After I posted my original one above, I went and searched again, and found the thread on the Eckler's aluminum tank. I'll pass on that guy.

S.C.
Old 01-06-2015, 11:00 PM
Mr.Bill
Race Director

Location: Reno is so close to Hell you can see Sparks , State Of Confusion
Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from...05218&_sacat=0
Old 01-06-2015, 11:21 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,299 Likes on 13,972 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

If your original OEM one lasted this long, I'd say it did its job very well considering it is plastic and the heat under the hood. Not a bad choice going OEM.
Old 01-06-2015, 11:25 PM
scottcolbath
Instructor

Originally Posted by Vetteman Jack
If your original OEM one lasted this long, I'd say it did its job very well considering it is plastic and the heat under the hood. Not a bad choice going OEM.
Yup, OEM will be fine. My car is a driver. No need to put fancy stuff under the hood.

S.C.
Old 01-06-2015, 11:27 PM
striper
Le Mans Master

Received 246 Likes on 215 Posts

There is an aluminum tank made by Moroso.
Old 01-07-2015, 08:09 AM
rwlc5
Burning Brakes

Received 58 Likes on 36 Posts

If it only has a small leak, just put some epoxy glue over the area and it will be fine.
Old 01-07-2015, 09:33 AM
scottcolbath
Instructor

Originally Posted by rwlc5
If it only has a small leak, just put some epoxy glue over the area and it will be fine.
I thought about that, but it's probably the original tank, and the plastic is likely brittle. A fresh one is just a proactive thing, and not a big expense. I'll spend the $70 now to avoid a headache this July in the Phoenix heat.

S.C.
Old 01-07-2015, 09:48 AM
bjones7131
Safety Car

Received 845 Likes on 592 Posts

This tank is under pressure I think so a patch job would not work. I have an s10 chey truck and had a small leak on the underside but the tank is different and not under pressure so I removed it and put about 3-4 coats of clear varnish on it to seal the entire underside and it has been holding for at least 2 yrs.
Old 01-07-2015, 10:01 AM
CQRT
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 295 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by scottcolbath
So I'm going to swap it out. Are there any good options other than a stock GM replacement? I'm just curious. I'll most likely just pick up a new one from GM.

S.C.
Might want to talk to Bruce at Corvette Performance on Scottsdale Rd just south of Thomas - - - he may have in stock, or can suggest alternatives.

Old 01-07-2015, 02:45 PM
Ron C!
Safety Car

Received 195 Likes on 153 Posts

Double check your part numbers, there are 2. One for the 97-99 and one for the 00-04 I think. I don't know what the difference is.
Old 01-07-2015, 03:08 PM
jedblanks
Safety Car

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Ron C!
Double check your part numbers, there are 2. One for the 97-99 and one for the 00-04 I think. I don't know what the difference is.
All models have a slot molded for the coolant level sensor, but only the earlier models actually let the sensor into the coolant so it can measure. Later models are sealed off, thus you will get a warning even after you install the sensor.

The sensor seals with an oring. OEM may come with the sensor if earlier model. Otherwise you'll need to transfer it and install new oring to be safe.
Old 01-07-2015, 08:42 PM
Ron C!
Safety Car

Received 195 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by jedblanks
All models have a slot molded for the coolant level sensor, but only the earlier models actually let the sensor into the coolant so it can measure. Later models are sealed off, thus you will get a warning even after you install the sensor.

The sensor seals with an oring. OEM may come with the sensor if earlier model. Otherwise you'll need to transfer it and install new oring to be safe.
Thanks for the info!
Old 01-09-2015, 11:55 PM
scottcolbath
Instructor

Originally Posted by CQRT
Might want to talk to Bruce at Corvette Performance on Scottsdale Rd just south of Thomas - - - he may have in stock, or can suggest alternatives.

I've been checking their website. While they want more for the tank, they have some other odds and ends I'd like to get for the car. I'll have to swing down there for a look. Thanks for the reference.

S.C.
Old 04-23-2016, 04:34 PM
Cameldog
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Get a new tank

Originally Posted by scottcolbath
I've been checking their website. While they want more for the tank, they have some other odds and ends I'd like to get for the car. I'll have to swing down there for a look. Thanks for the reference.

S.C.
I know this thread is old but perhaps this will help someone else. I had a small drip from the area where a coolant sensor would go. Since this is under pressure and I travel with the Vette I opted not to try to "fix" with some epoxy or other sealant. Good thing! I cut my old tank in half so I could see why it was leaking. Before I touched it the cylinder where the sensor would go was intact. With only a slight amount of pressure it crumbled. I noticed that the ends of nozzles where the hoses attached to the bottom were discolored the same as the sensor cylinder, so I picked them a little with my fingernail. The crumbled as well. See the pics below. I would suggest if you have to drain your tank for any reason remove one of the lower hoses and check the condition of the end of the nozzle for the hose. If its discolored and easily crumbles, I'd replace the tank.
Attached Images    
The following users liked this post:
SpeedRacerMach (11-12-2018)
Old 04-23-2016, 09:54 PM
scottcolbath
Instructor

Originally Posted by Cameldog
I know this thread is old but perhaps this will help someone else. I had a small drip from the area where a coolant sensor would go. Since this is under pressure and I travel with the Vette I opted not to try to "fix" with some epoxy or other sealant. Good thing! I cut my old tank in half so I could see why it was leaking. Before I touched it the cylinder where the sensor would go was intact. With only a slight amount of pressure it crumbled. I noticed that the ends of nozzles where the hoses attached to the bottom were discolored the same as the sensor cylinder, so I picked them a little with my fingernail. The crumbled as well. See the pics below. I would suggest if you have to drain your tank for any reason remove one of the lower hoses and check the condition of the end of the nozzle for the hose. If its discolored and easily crumbles, I'd replace the tank.
Yup, mine was getting brittle as well. Maybe replacing these tanks at ten years is a good idea, rather than waiting until they are failing.

BTW, today my low coolant light came on. I checked the tank and the level is fine. I think it was just hitting the brakes hard that set it off, when all the coolant in the reservoir sloshed around.

S.C.
Old 04-23-2016, 10:15 PM
Pounder
1/4 mile/AutoX
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,082 Likes on 1,635 Posts

I bought this one and bypassed the sender because I have a 99 /// the tank is heavy duty !!!!!!
Amazon.com: Dorman 603-140 Pressurized Coolant Reservoir: Automotive Amazon.com: Dorman 603-140 Pressurized Coolant Reservoir: Automotive

Get notified of new replies

To Coolant reservoir tank is weeping

Old 10-08-2016, 12:58 PM
oh1vette
Safety Car

Received 153 Likes on 117 Posts

^^^^^

So how did the Dorman compare to the original tank?

Just deciding if 2X the price for a ACDelco is worth it...

Thanks...
Old 10-08-2016, 01:27 PM
Pounder
1/4 mile/AutoX
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,082 Likes on 1,635 Posts

Originally Posted by oh1vette
^^^^^

So how did the Dorman compare to the original tank?

Just deciding if 2X the price for a ACDelco is worth it...

Thanks...
as I started in the post above, I think the Dorman is better than OEM !!
Old 07-01-2018, 11:21 AM
lanier
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Quick question regarding your dorman reservoir

Originally Posted by Pounder
I bought this one and bypassed the sender because I have a 99 /// the tank is heavy duty !!!!!!
Amazon.com: Dorman 603-140 Pressurized Coolant Reservoir: Automotive
Did this fit with now issues for your 1999? Amazon states this will not fit for this year. Thanks!

Quick Reply: Coolant reservoir tank is weeping