Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Accessing oil sender through wiper tray

Old 02-15-2018, 10:55 PM
chasboy
Le Mans Master

Received 914 Likes on 721 Posts
Oldtimer

I’m concerned about that line, which I believe is a fuel line. I don’t understand the mechanism. Does it cut the flow of fuel when removed?
Old 02-15-2018, 11:07 PM
dbgoodwin
Safety Car

Received 751 Likes on 540 Posts

Originally Posted by chasboy
I’m concerned about that line, which I believe is a fuel line. I don’t understand the mechanism. Does it cut the flow of fuel when removed?
like I said, unless you're completely removing the manifold then there's no reason to unhook the line. It's flexible and you can easily get the manifold completely out of the way without needing that line disconnected.

If you do remove it, you'll get a little bit of fuel but not a lot. Similar to replacing a fuel filter.
The following users liked this post:
chasboy (02-15-2018)
Old 03-13-2018, 10:08 PM
Ed Ramberger
Drifting

Received 435 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by Choreo
It goes against my grain too, but cutting the hole and fabricating a removable "door" for my opening is what I decided on for me.

• First of all the "right way" makes no sense to remove so many bolts and connections just to perform this procedure - it opens up the possibility of creating other vacuum leaks, etc. just to perform what "should have been" a simple task.

• Since the OPS is a well documented "weak link" and prone to failing, it is very likely that the procedure may have to be repeated in the future.

• Coming in from the top directly make the procedure more reliable since you can easily reach, replace and torque everything as well as check for leaks.

Even doing the "relocation" procedure adds more potential leak locations.

The last time I replaced mine, two years later, mine developed a small leak (not reflected on the gauge). At first I thought it might be a main seal , but there was just a drop or two of oil on the floor every so often. I finally pulled the cowl, opened that door I made, and sure enough there was just a small amount of oil around the base of the OPS (even though it had been torqued to spec 2 years earlier). Quickly re-torqued, no problem since. If it fails again - 15 minutes to swap.

The "right way" would have been for GM to use a more reliable sensor in the first place AND put it in a location that could have been serviced without removing the top half of the engine instead of using a cheaply constructed sensor and then designing the whole car around it!

I REALLY did not want to cut my cowl, but it just made more logical sense in this case to me. If I really thought it might be a one-time thing, may have gone another route, but I am on my 3rd sensor.
Choreo, can you tell us how you really feel?
Old 03-14-2018, 07:18 AM
DirtRoad
Instructor

Received 129 Likes on 44 Posts

I fastened the piece that was removed in place with Gorilla Tape. Years later, it is still doing the job. I feel absolutely no guilt for cutting the access door that should have been provided by Chevrolet when they designed the car.
The following users liked this post:
ArmchairArchitect (03-15-2018)
Old 03-14-2018, 09:10 AM
jjc508520
Melting Slicks

Received 376 Likes on 284 Posts

Funny to see that 3y later my thread still has life! For what its worth - the oil pressure sender is still working fine (as he curses himself - to come home to a pegged gauge!)
Old 03-14-2018, 09:31 AM
STALION
Le Mans Master

Location: ALL governments are legalized mobsters, so doesn't matter where I live :(
Received 184 Likes on 133 Posts

Get to it the proper way, and then add a relocation kit...problem solved. I was going to cut into it and my mechanic scolded me lol.
Old 03-14-2018, 09:50 AM
JR-01
Le Mans Master

Received 1,063 Likes on 805 Posts

Originally Posted by STALION
Get to it the proper way, and then add a relocation kit...problem solved. I was going to cut into it and my mechanic scolded me lol.
You're afraid of your mechanic?

We have determined that some people would only fix it the dealer way and some would do it their way. Either way works.
Old 03-14-2018, 10:07 AM
STALION
Le Mans Master

Location: ALL governments are legalized mobsters, so doesn't matter where I live :(

Originally Posted by JR-01
You're afraid of your mechanic?

We have determined that some people would only fix it the dealer way and some would do it their way. Either way works.
That was a little tongue and cheek. I did major upgrades last year and was in need of a new pressure unit and was going to cut into it and make an access panel. My mechanic who I do track with would have none of it and said he would do it the proper way...who am I to argue!? lol

Old 03-14-2018, 10:28 AM
JR-01
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by STALION
That was a little tongue and cheek. I did major upgrades last year and was in need of a new pressure unit and was going to cut into it and make an access panel. My mechanic who I do track with would have none of it and said he would do it the proper way...who am I to argue!? lol

I had mine done the "proper" way, too, but I see no problem with doing it the other way, either. To each their own.
Old 03-14-2018, 10:49 AM
STALION
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by JR-01
I had mine done the "proper" way, too, but I see no problem with doing it the other way, either. To each their own.
I don't disagree, was just making light of the issue.
Old 03-14-2018, 04:44 PM
garllo
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I had my first C5 (98 coupe) I was faced with replacing the oil pressure sending switch. I thought it over ,should I remove the intake?, should I use the other method and try to get around the intake with a universal on the socket as shown in the video?, or should I cut a opening and create an access doort? Here are my thoughts; If I removed the intake and replaced the oil pressure sending switch ,reassembled and had the switch defective or leaking I wouldn't be able to readily see it. Going by the video didn't appeal to me because it's difficult to start the new switch straight (remember ,aluminum block) and it's impossible to torque. I ended up cutting an opening which is what GM should have done in the first place and luckily I did because when I removed the old switch I discovered that it was replaced before and the threads in the block where cross threaded. Luckily I have access to CNC equipment. I fabricated a chasser and a guide to keep it straight (1ft long total) ,then ran a tap in the hole. worked out well . I think if I need to replace one in my 2004 ,I'll have my tech do it!

Last edited by garllo; 03-14-2018 at 04:47 PM.
Old 03-14-2018, 07:28 PM
msandym
Burning Brakes

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by rrwirsi
I don't get it. The forum is full of mods that people do to their cars and most get raving reviews. Here is a person using his ingenuity to make the oil sender easier to remove for him and he gets trashed by some for doing it. If my sender unit ever needs replacing, I will consider doing what jjc did. The only change would be to design a “door” access for any future replacements.
Nobody trashed the guy . Some people respectfully said they wouldn’t do it !
Old 03-15-2018, 02:36 AM
jdmvette
Night Owl for life
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,239 Likes on 1,663 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeff T.
Most of us don't use our cars as DD's,
Old 03-15-2018, 06:37 PM
jrprich
Le Mans Master

Received 212 Likes on 184 Posts

As to not relocating the OPS.........I had three brand new OPS fail in the original location in less than a year after replacing the original.
Once I relocated the OPS, no more failures after several years of almost daily use.
Old 03-16-2018, 03:19 PM
JR-01
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by suchcoolness
I'd be will
Hi, Will.
Old 03-16-2018, 05:32 PM
novasscnc
Pro

Received 57 Likes on 51 Posts

Cut a neater hole with a hole saw, then put a rubber grommet in the hole