Sponsored by:

Air Coupler Question..

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2015, 07:16 PM
DA1984VETTE
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 57 Posts

Default Air Coupler Question..

I am considering putting on a twin cone air intake on my 98. I've read the response on hp gains and what not but this isn't what I am looking for. My question is on the stock air coupler (accordian type) there is a tube that runs into it possibly a vacuum line, when I look at the smooth couplers there seems to be no provision for this hook up. Is this hose necessary for reading air/mixture? or is this something else. It looks like on the later models this hose isn't there. Anybody have any input on this or is my question confusing.....Thanks for any input. I am adding this for looks only not any power gains or the like.
Old 03-19-2015, 09:32 PM
Entovetter
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Assuming your car is a '97 or '98, that is a "purge tube" from the fuel rails. Near as I can tell, if you have excess pressure from the fuel delivery system, it pushes it out into this tube which then delivers the overflow directly into the air intake (very small amounts). I just installed a smooth coupler on my '98 and ran into the same problem. Just take a 1/8" drill bit and drill a hole in the side of the new coupler where the purge tube contacts it, then shove the attachment into the new hole. Very simple fix.
Old 03-19-2015, 11:41 PM
DA1984VETTE
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 57 Posts

Thanks for the reply..
Old 03-20-2015, 09:58 AM
Witmer
Racer

Received 90 Likes on 47 Posts

I have a 97 and had the same question. The forum advice that I found was that there was no harm to leaving that piece unconnected to the new coupler. I changed my air bridge and coupler last summer and have probably 2k miles on the car since then... no issues with leaving that piece disconnected.

Get notified of new replies

To Air Coupler Question..

Quick Reply: Air Coupler Question..