Sponsored by:

Mold/Mildew stained Tan convertible top wont clean up- Help

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2018, 05:09 PM
JR-01
Le Mans Master

Received 1,063 Likes on 805 Posts

Originally Posted by Larrygee
I've been following this thread because my light oak top looks perfectly clean when dry. You see no spots. However, when it rains and the top is wet all of these small little mildew looking spots become apparent. Clearly the previous owner had put this car away with the top down and wet. So, I'm wondering if my problem is something other than surface mold. Why are the spots only visible when the top is wet?

I'm a little reluctant to use any bleach products because they will weaken other fabric components such as the threading. Vaseline might work but I suspect that introduces a different issue.

I'm in a dilemma. Looks good dry looks like crap wet. I guess I could put the top down in the rain.....joking...
If the spots only show when wet they might be some other contaminant. Have you tried cleaning it with a quality product made for tops? Then treat it with a top protectant.

Last edited by JR-01; 03-01-2018 at 05:10 PM.
Old 03-01-2018, 11:01 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,296 Likes on 13,969 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Interesting what products can be used to clean mold/mildew off of a convertible top.
Old 03-02-2018, 02:10 AM
Vette_Fan
Safety Car

Received 56 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Blueleader
I used a 50 -50 bleach and water for 20 mins then washed it using 303 Top cleaner. Dried in the sun and I applied Fabric convertible top spray from 303. Water off a ducks back now and it looks fantastic. Brand new. It was really bad and I tried a cornucopia of products to no avail.I bought the convertible top kit from 303 on Amazon for $17.00 plus $5.95 FEDX. Really glad I didnt dye it. Counter guy at Ecklers told me most use 303. So I did.

Looks great. This process wouldn't work for a Black top, would it? I think the bleach mix is great for removing mildew/mold, but will eat up the Black color too... (JMO). What do you guys think?
Old 03-02-2018, 11:23 AM
Blueleader
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default fOR REVIEW - MORE INFO

Originally Posted by Vette_Fan
Looks great. This process wouldn't work for a Black top, would it? I think the bleach mix is great for removing mildew/mold, but will eat up the Black color too... (JMO). What do you guys think?
Good thinking and I advise you to find a marina that has a quality Sail and canvas shop - let them look it over. Black is tricky and
I would not put a bleach product on it. My detailer uses a product by Biokleen called BAC-OUT stain and odor remover. BIOCLEANHOME.COM
The 303 Marine/recreational - FABRIC GUARD product I used is keeping the problem I had under
control. Next step is a paint made for outdoor fabric.
I like Simply Spray outdoor fabric paint, waterproof and UV protectant.
simplyspray.com I used the spray on boat cushions and bimini top canvas and after 3 years looks great. Made the Vett top look new.
If you want to use bleach products to remove the mold/mildew- cover the threads with a light coating of armor all. I used Duponts Krytox when I do mine and its also great for all the weatherstripping that I apply it to once a year. Keeps it brand new for the last 18 yrs.

Last edited by Blueleader; 03-02-2018 at 11:26 AM.
Old 03-02-2018, 11:35 AM
Blueleader
Instructor

I bought more 303, I found it at West Marine. Quart for $29 bucks. Good price.
It rains almost everyday in April. ''April showers bring May flowers''.......
Cocoa Beach Florida. MY 15yr OLD TOP LOOKS BRAND NEW.

When you get the top cleaned and mold/mildew free, seal the top and make it waterproof with the 303. The UV protectant is important too.
Old 03-02-2018, 06:11 PM
Joe Scafide
Burning Brakes

Received 101 Likes on 77 Posts

Default Top

I have a 2003 shale top with window only on car for a year 4 months in storage so 8 months in weather but only take car out on week ends $300 plus shipping
Old 03-02-2018, 07:01 PM
Larrygee
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JR-01
If the spots only show when wet they might be some other contaminant. Have you tried cleaning it with a quality product made for tops? Then treat it with a top protectant.
Hmmm. It never occurred to me that it might be some other contaminant. I used mold control which is a product you can purchase at Home Depot or Lowe's. It is very effective in removing mold stains from fabrics and other porous materials. I have used it before with great success but in this case it just didn't work. Maybe, as you suggested, it's not mold! Thanks for redirecting me. I'm going to try some Alternatives discussed in this thread and see what happens.
Old 03-02-2018, 07:01 PM
Larrygee
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmmm. It never occurred to me that it might be some other contaminant. I used mold control which is a product you can purchase at Home Depot or Lowe's. It is very effective in removing mold stains from fabrics and other porous materials. I have used it before with great success but in this case it just didn't work. Maybe, as you suggested, it's not mold! Thanks for redirecting me. I'm going to try some Alternatives discussed in this thread and see what happens.
Old 05-24-2018, 02:43 PM
dleibman
Drifting

Received 384 Likes on 235 Posts

know this is an old thread but it keeps on going. having same problem on my 50th. anniversary magnetic red with shale soft top. top is clean but has gotten mildew spots due to the weather lately. top is clean. I to have a concern about using bleach and other products that may harm the BODY PAINT due to run off or rinse. just tried 303 conv. top cleaned with NADA results. have used 303 fabric waterproof guard on boats for years. great stuff except if it runs onto fiberglass it stains like hell. wondering what it would due to body paint ,same with bleach. was going to try mcquires but sounds like not too good.

may try the 50/50 bleach method. was going to try a marine type fabric mildew remover, spray on, sit, rinse off,

any feedback guys, thanks, fin
Old 05-24-2018, 04:11 PM
bobs77vet
Race Director

Location: Arlington Va Current ride 04 vert, previous vettes: 69 vert, 77 resto mod
Received 255 Likes on 225 Posts

Originally Posted by dleibman
know this is an old thread but it keeps on going. having same problem on my 50th. anniversary magnetic red with shale soft top. top is clean but has gotten mildew spots due to the weather lately. top is clean. I to have a concern about using bleach and other products that may harm the BODY PAINT due to run off or rinse. just tried 303 conv. top cleaned with NADA results. have used 303 fabric waterproof guard on boats for years. great stuff except if it runs onto fiberglass it stains like hell. wondering what it would due to body paint ,same with bleach. was going to try mcquires but sounds like not too good.

may try the 50/50 bleach method. was going to try a marine type fabric mildew remover, spray on, sit, rinse off,

any feedback guys, thanks, fin
so why not use some painters plastic over the body of the car and then put the top down over it. i think i am going to try that with the simple green and horse hair brush.

it will cerainly cover every thing except where the top pivot points are
Old 05-24-2018, 04:24 PM
glbeauchamp
Race Director

Received 254 Likes on 211 Posts

I found a mixture on the net that removes stains etc consisting of baking soda, hydrogen peroxide and Dawn dish soap. I can't remember the exact percentages but I think it was one cup baking soda, one cup peroxide, and 2 teaspoons of Dawn. I didn't try it on a convertible top as I don't have one but it worked real good on what I tried it on. You are supposed to leave it on the surface being cleaned for at least 20 minutes.
Old 05-24-2018, 04:32 PM
calguy
Drifting

Received 150 Likes on 96 Posts

I have posted this before in other threads.
I use simple green to keep my top looking like new.
I don't use a brush when cleaning because that could screw up the fabric.
I use a soft sponge, and when finished, rinse completely, including the body of the car.
Works for me.

Bob.
Old 05-24-2018, 06:02 PM
JR-01
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by calguy
I have posted this before in other threads.
I use simple green to keep my top looking like new.
I don't use a brush when cleaning because that could screw up the fabric.
I use a soft sponge, and when finished, rinse completely, including the body of the car.
Works for me.

Bob.
Top manufacturers and detailers recommend horse hair brushes to clean tops. They will not harm the fibers. That is why they recommend them. A sponge will push the dirt deep into the fibers. The horse hair brush will keep the fibers clean.
Old 05-24-2018, 07:03 PM
calguy
Drifting

Received 150 Likes on 96 Posts

Top manufacturers and detailers recommend horse hair brushes to clean tops. They will not harm the fibers. That is why they recommend them. A sponge will push the dirt deep into the fibers. The horse hair brush will keep the fibers clean.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the fibers on my top look pretty clean.

Bob.
Old 05-24-2018, 07:09 PM
JR-01
Le Mans Master

Bob.
Can't tell from here.
Old 05-24-2018, 09:02 PM
bobs77vet
Race Director

Location: Arlington Va Current ride 04 vert, previous vettes: 69 vert, 77 resto mod

Bob.
I am hoping my top will look as good as yours...I need to go get some simple green.
Old 05-24-2018, 09:16 PM
Blueleader
Instructor

Default Don't overtihink this little problem- see short video

Do it the way I pointed out.
If you dont have a decent wax job, Wash the car with Dawn, clay bar the top surfaces, buy some Rejex and spend an hour applying Rejex (see video below) and then do the top with mixture of bleach...50 percent bleach and the other 5o percent water. 15 mins to soak, check for results and rinse for 10 mins.
Apply the top conditioner and that will stop all mold or mildew spotting in the future!
.........Of course keep it off the paint - I cant believe I have to tell you guys to keep it off the paint. That question boggles the mind and if that is your mindset, or one of those Rich guys who are really just posers, take the car to a Real detailer...not the local yocal. Someone who is a real car guy.
IF YOU KEEP THE TOP CONDITIONED WITH 303 YOU WILL NEVER HAVE THIS PROBLEM AGAIN.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4J...xBWmJjTjA/view
Amazon Amazon
Rejex on a Corvette Gran Sport, owners video. Rejex shines better than anything on the market, hands down. Also goes on fast and comes off easier than you could believe = leaving an incredible shiny gloss finish. Lasts a long time too.
Watch the tape fall off after application. Because the paint is slick as hell....lol...
...<#Please Read the 35 reviews, 4.9 out of 5.>..
Amazon Amazon

Last edited by Blueleader; 05-24-2018 at 09:33 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Mold/Mildew stained Tan convertible top wont clean up- Help

Old 05-24-2018, 09:41 PM
bobs77vet
Race Director

I will try the least aggressive first...simple green.

I will try the 50/50 bleach after that if the simle green doesn't work. I am sure the bleach will work but isn't it awfully harsh on the fabric?
Old 05-24-2018, 10:16 PM
Blueleader
Instructor

Originally Posted by bobs77vet
I will try the least aggressive first...simple green.

I will try the 50/50 bleach after that if the simle green doesn't work. I am sure the bleach will work but isn't it awfully harsh on the fabric?
No. After you try the simple green....look that one on Google. Not really a deep cleaner withy only moderate results. I say , save the money and follow my instruction. The acrylic fabric is tough and the diluted bleach is on it for a short time. Short time.
And then you condition the top with 303 Fabric Guard. Problem over.

Last edited by Blueleader; 05-24-2018 at 10:18 PM.
Old 05-25-2018, 03:37 AM
UM Rebel
Drifting

Received 154 Likes on 114 Posts

(1.)I am at the point of dyeing the top. I have used a cornucopia of products to remove the stains, and just gave up after using 303 Fabric Convertible Top care kit. I used several named brands too. Short of Bleach products for the home use. Anybody got advice?... Please.

(2.) I see how to dye the top on Youtube but dont know which product to get for that. Suggestions for Dye applications??
Oxyclean and laundry detergent dilute solution soft cloth or sponge.

Quick Reply: Mold/Mildew stained Tan convertible top wont clean up- Help