[insurance help] just had a wreck in my C5

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2015, 11:15 PM
wardamncorvette
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15
Default [insurance help] just had a wreck in my C5

I had some dumbf*** hick pull out in front of my on a highway the other day. He admitted fault immediately to me and the officer saying there was a truck blocking his view and he though it was safe to turn out.

Now the insurance wants to total my Vette.. It doesn't look like it needs very much. They are trying to lowball me on total loss check too. They were like "it is an 18 year old car". It's a 1997 with 101,000 miles. I would say in near excellent condition. They haven't yet made me an offer yet, but I refuse to take less than 10k of they are going to total it.

I know for a fact I will need a hood, headlight, and front bumper. I hope they'll just sign me a check and let me fix it myself.

Btw I have progressive and I will be swapping after this is all over.

Anybody else got any tips for me? Or has anyone else been in this situation with their c5?
Attached Images  
Old 04-06-2015, 11:19 PM
BOTYNV1
Team Owner

Received 133 Likes on 78 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

That sucks, picture is a lil tough to see the damage. Glad you didn't get injured.
Old 04-06-2015, 11:26 PM
sfc rick
Le Mans Master

Received 150 Likes on 79 Posts

Nothing less than $14,000..... Did you see a doctor? Don't let them beat you up on money now. Stay strong, don't give in. Now go and see if you can buy a like vehicle for the chump change they will low ball you with.

Old 04-06-2015, 11:50 PM
RIKKI Z-06
Le Mans Master

Received 272 Likes on 186 Posts

Originally Posted by sfc rick
Nothing less than $14,000..... Did you see a doctor? Don't let them beat you up on money now. Stay strong, don't give in. Now go and see if you can buy a like vehicle for the chump change they will low ball you with.

Old 04-07-2015, 12:44 AM
MyChristine
Heel & Toe

If the other driver couldn't see you coming because a truck was blocking his view he should not have pulled out. The officer should have cited him. Driving 101...be sure the road is clear before pulling out. Progressive says they are going to total it....without giving you a dollar amount? Sound like they are lubing you up for a screwing. Hold out for what you think is a fair price and be prepared to argue. Good Luck.....looks like a nice ride.
Old 04-07-2015, 01:10 AM
wardamncorvette
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Originally Posted by sfc rick

me and my girlfriend were both fine. I got out of the car ready to fight I did not see a doctor. Im fine. Nobody had any injuries at all.

14,000 does sound reasonable. I hope I can make them pay that much. I've never had a wreck before, much less dealt with an insurance adjuster. But I will definitely take your advice, and not back down. I've been doing a lot of research online. If worse comes to worse, I guess me and insurance can take it to court.
Originally Posted by BOTYNV1
That sucks, picture is a lil tough to see the damage. Glad you didn't get injured.

Originally Posted by MyChristine
If the other driver couldn't see you coming because a truck was blocking his view he should not have pulled out. The officer should have cited him. Driving 101...be sure the road is clear before pulling out. Progressive says they are going to total it....without giving you a dollar amount? Sound like they are lubing you up for a screwing. Hold out for what you think is a fair price and be prepared to argue. Good Luck.....looks like a nice ride.
Old 04-07-2015, 01:27 AM
Ferg03 Z06
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by MyChristine
I am a Police Officer in the state of Alabama(same state the OP lives in) and it is impossible for the Officer to issue a citation to the other driver regardless if he admitted fault or not. By law we are only allowed to issue the citation of No Proof of Insurance or DUI at the scene of wreck, unless of course the Officer actually witnessed the wreck.

OP it shouldn't matter what insurance you have, the other person's insurance should be liable for the damages, since the other driver was at fault. Unless you hit the other driver in the rear, then unfortunately you are at fault regardless.

Best of luck to you OP and one more thing WAR D*M* EAGLE!!!
Old 04-07-2015, 01:38 AM
MTCWBY
Heel & Toe

Don't get in a rush to get it settled. Adjustors are partially judged on how fast they can clear claims. Had a car stolen and the adjustor lowballed me as they are trained to do. Got another 25% after letting it go past a month. I don't know what the body shop estimate is but if you're close it might get it past them totaling it which is preferable if you want to keep it.

I'm not sure how your state is on salvage tags. If they total it you might be able to buy it from them and fix it yourself but the tags would be salvage tags here in California and that makes it harder to sell later without a steep discount.

Mike
Old 04-07-2015, 04:07 AM
Ramsiec5
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I may be mistaken but wasn't the car already salvaged or rebuilt? I feel like i've seen it for sale before on craigslist.

I'd take the money and run if it's anything over 10k.

Last edited by Ramsiec5; 04-07-2015 at 04:19 AM.
Old 04-07-2015, 05:28 AM
road pilot
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,253 Likes on 817 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2016 C5 of Year Finalist

Sorry for the mess you are in. Yes depending how much you like
your vette , you could buy it back if totaled.
As others have said don't take the first offer. Stick to your guns.
Frankly I hope you can get 14k if totaled , but I doubt it. It is
closer to 10k. Have you done anything to your vette?? If so
document the changes and give that to his insurance company
Next time insure for declared value and the total figure will
go way up. Good luck.
Old 04-07-2015, 06:26 AM
lemonheadnick
Heel & Toe

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

ah gees sorry for the loss. Keep fighting those insurance companies!
Old 04-07-2015, 06:47 AM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,217 Likes on 2,301 Posts

If everything happened the way you say, YOUR insurance should be fighting for you with HIS insurance. If they're not, they wouldn't be my insurance company after it was settled. They should use their lawyers to get a fair settlement. I don't know your car, but if it was already salvage, or if $10K is what it's worth, that's probably what you'll get and it may be fair.
Old 04-07-2015, 08:31 AM
strand rider
Safety Car

Received 235 Likes on 181 Posts

please don't be the guy that thinks his used car is special and worth more than other used cars from the same production line of the same age and milage.

You can easily find a professional independent adjuster, you don't have to accept the captive adjuster's decision. Be careful when declining an offer to settle, how you word the response can effect the results, as you know, money attracts lawyers, use care in all communication.

I had an Rx7 that got stolen. My insurance offered me around four thousand, the normal amount. I explained the car was a sport model, came with trick stuff, and was worth $12,000 . they said I was in error, that sport model was worth about $7,000 . My state requires certain distance limits for replacement transactions. Perhaps you could buy a replacement for that amount in Alabama, but not around my town. In the end I received $12,000.

( I think the copper repipe crew that worked the apartments across the street fingered the car. )
Old 04-07-2015, 08:36 AM
Joe_A
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St Jude Donor '15

Are you making the claim through your insurance or the person that hit you ?
You should go after the other persons insurance if possible in your state
Old 04-07-2015, 10:28 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,228 Likes on 13,933 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Originally Posted by Joe_A
Are you making the claim through your insurance or the person that hit you ?
You should go after the other persons insurance if possible in your state
I agree, the other guy's insurance company should be the one paying out and your insurance company should be fighting for a good settlemwnt for you. Hang in there and fight for a fair settlement. Have you taken the car to a good body shop and got a quote for the repair yet? (Provided the car can be driven.) That might be a good move so you will know where you stand before they make an offer.

And glad both you and your girlfriend are OK.
Old 04-07-2015, 10:43 AM
Joe_A
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by Vetteman Jack
I agree, the other guy's insurance company should be the one paying out and your insurance company should be fighting for a good settlemwnt for you. Hang in there and fight for a fair settlement. Have you taken the car to a good body shop and got a quote for the repair yet? (Provided the car can be driven.) That might be a good move so you will know where you stand before they make an offer.

And glad both you and your girlfriend are OK.
Good point do not go to the progressive adjuster or drive in service center that progressive pitches. Flo is out to screw you! Progressive is one of the worst to deal with. Do not use any body shop the insurance company steers you too. Find the best body shop in your area and bring the car to the body shop you choose.

Last edited by Joe_A; 04-07-2015 at 11:38 AM.
Old 04-07-2015, 11:31 AM
73Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 463 Likes on 374 Posts

Good luck, sorry about your wreck...

Get notified of new replies

To [insurance help] just had a wreck in my C5

Old 04-07-2015, 12:30 PM
Ray 2000 C5 FRC
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by wardamncorvette
I had some dumbf*** hick pull out in front of my on a highway the other day. He admitted fault immediately to me and the officer saying there was a truck blocking his view and he though it was safe to turn out.

Now the insurance wants to total my Vette.. It doesn't look like it needs very much. They are trying to lowball me on total loss check too. They were like "it is an 18 year old car". It's a 1997 with 101,000 miles. I would say in near excellent condition. They haven't yet made me an offer yet, but I refuse to take less than 10k of they are going to total it.

I know for a fact I will need a hood, headlight, and front bumper. I hope they'll just sign me a check and let me fix it myself.

Btw I have progressive and I will be swapping after this is all over.

Anybody else got any tips for me? Or has anyone else been in this situation with their c5?
First, decide if you want a reasonable fiscal settlement and walk away from the car or do you want to have the C5 repaired.

If you want to keep your near perfect car, starting doing your homework and find the body shop you will trust will do the repairs to your satisfaction. Have the work done, get what you can from the insurance company then sue the other drivers insurance company for the remaining balance. If you are unsuccessful in getting the total amount from the insurance company, then you can sue the other driver directly. Not a big deal, just how the american system works. You will need an attorney in either case, whereby his fees will be part of the total settlement.
Old 04-07-2015, 01:07 PM
Little Red L98
Goon Squad BS Detector
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 428 Likes on 125 Posts
2018 C4 of the Year Winner
2017 C4 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '15, '17

Damn, Nick. I'm really sorry to hear about this. I know how much you love your car.

At least you didn't get hurt.
Old 04-07-2015, 01:16 PM
Raazor
Goon Squad King of Battle

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 920 Likes on 356 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13x3- '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

Two things: Pics of gf & nice improvement

J/K glad you're ok

Quick Reply: [insurance help] just had a wreck in my C5