Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Purchaser wants to bring car back, wadda ya think?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2015, 10:34 AM
Cedarberry
Drifting

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

Pretty sure all will be good, when I had bought the car I had went hog wild on parts to mod the car, was just gettin goin when I got sick, sold a lot of the goodies I had bought for the car after getting out of the hospital.

Was bummed by that let alone haveing to sell the car. Still have suspension upgrades, and carbon wide booty to put on so not so bad.

Only been a few weeks, and I'm excited to go get it back, much like when I first purchased the car.
Old 05-22-2015, 10:38 AM
73Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 463 Likes on 374 Posts

Sounds like your doing great...maybe the car will help with the healing process... take care
Old 05-22-2015, 10:46 AM
Cedarberry
Drifting

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...de-for-me.html

Original thread when I got the car, and what I had done till everything went south.

Also guys I'm doin real well and no signs of the cancer returning, Doc says another six months with no problems and I should be good to go.

Happy to be back to ownin a vette, and look forward to a summer of corvette heaven, lol
Old 05-22-2015, 11:00 AM
Corvette#2
Safety Car

Received 394 Likes on 247 Posts

Originally Posted by DetroitPlac
Why doesn't traction control and stability control keep the car straight

Dynamic rear proportioning and rear stability control is part of the second gen active handling. That came out in '01. His car is a '99. It might not have first generation active handling either, only around half of '99 FRCs did. My 2000 coupe is without JL4. Active handling automatically applies the brakes to each individual caliper based on the motion sensor inputs to help keep the car going straight.

They all have traction control, but I think that only senses wheel spin on the rear tires and cuts engine power. If he stomped on the gas pedal with the steering wheel off center, the car could come around just from the inertia of the initial misapplication of power. Cutting power wouldn't have helped regain traction if it's already spinning into a 360.
Old 05-22-2015, 11:04 AM
DinkyDonut
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Cedarberry
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...de-for-me.html

Original thread when I got the car, and what I had done till everything went south.

Also guys I'm doin real well and no signs of the cancer returning, Doc says another six months with no problems and I should be good to go.

Happy to be back to ownin a vette, and look forward to a summer of corvette heaven, lol
This is what I was hoping to read.

I don't care about the car, but I'm happy to see that you're doing well. Good to see you get to have fun now, too.
Old 05-22-2015, 11:07 AM
DetroitPlac
Burning Brakes

Received 107 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by Corvette#2
Dynamic rear proportioning and rear stability control is part of the second gen active handling. That came out in '01. His car is a '99. It might not have first generation active handling either, only around half of '99 FRCs did. My 2000 coupe is without JL4. Active handling automatically applies the brakes to each individual caliper based on the motion sensor inputs to help keep the car going straight.

They all have traction control, but I think that only senses wheel spin on the rear tires and cuts engine power. If he stomped on the gas pedal with the steering wheel off center, the car could come around just from the inertia of the initial misapplication of power. Cutting power wouldn't have helped regain traction if it's already spinning into a 360.

Thanks so much for the explanation. That explains it! Be careful out there guys!
Old 05-22-2015, 11:19 AM
Cedarberry
Drifting

Thanks to all with well wishes concerning my health, much appreciated.

Car does have traction control button, turns on and off, I do know when pulling out of a gas station or like, I can mash the pedal and car will spin, haven't done ny 70 mph burnouts myself, lol.

Will even power slide exiting corners at times, but it seems to just slide just right and hook up nice and go. I'm not a pro driver by any means, only diff I really feel with the traction control on is during launch. Could smoke the tires with it off, get a chirp and sluggish take off with it on. Not launchin hard.
Old 05-22-2015, 12:15 PM
mrm13
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by bluevette2001
You're crazy for buying it back, tell him to spend some $ on driving lessons. "Let no good deed go unpunished".

I was watching something the other day and some guy did something like this and the claimed the car was stolen, he had the money and the title (I think it was chasing classic cars), but the buyer had records to prove the transaction took place and the cops took the old owner in. Big hassle but stuff like this happens.

Think a car dealer would take a car back unless it was agreed to BEFORE the transaction took place, and it's generally on a 100 miles or so they'll let you do this.
Actually he'll be crazy not to buy it back if everything checks out. Like it was already mentioned, much better to buy a car that he's not 100% sure about the hystory of 500 miles on it, than one that he's clueless about its entire history.
And yes, a dealer would buy a car back. I used to work for Cadillac about 15 years ago. A lady came in and traded a pristine condition Deville on a brand new DTS. A week later she came back crying and wanted to reverse the whole deal. The Deville was her husbands and he passed away and that is why she got rid of it. But it was his favorite thing and after a week she realized she was still very attached to his old car. It was like the car was a piece of him she could hang on to. We gave her her car back and took the DTS back without charging her a penny. And it is not the only time it has happened.
So don't be so quick to judge people and to always see only the bad in someone else's actions.
The important part is that the OP is doing good with his treatment and getting his car back, which he obviously cares about, is just a bonus.
Old 05-22-2015, 01:17 PM
bluevette2001
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mrm13
Actually he'll be crazy not to buy it back if everything checks out. Like it was already mentioned, much better to buy a car that he's not 100% sure about the hystory of 500 miles on it, than one that he's clueless about its entire history.
And yes, a dealer would buy a car back. I used to work for Cadillac about 15 years ago. A lady came in and traded a pristine condition Deville on a brand new DTS. A week later she came back crying and wanted to reverse the whole deal. The Deville was her husbands and he passed away and that is why she got rid of it. But it was his favorite thing and after a week she realized she was still very attached to his old car. It was like the car was a piece of him she could hang on to. We gave her her car back and took the DTS back without charging her a penny. And it is not the only time it has happened.
So don't be so quick to judge people and to always see only the bad in someone else's actions.
The important part is that the OP is doing good with his treatment and getting his car back, which he obviously cares about, is just a bonus.
Plenty of other cars out there that are even better. Look forward, not back.

Probably figured they would make more money servicing her old Caddy than what they would make on the new one.

Last edited by bluevette2001; 05-22-2015 at 01:20 PM.
Old 05-22-2015, 01:28 PM
Pounder
1/4 mile/AutoX
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,082 Likes on 1,635 Posts

Car does have traction control button, turns on and off, I do know when pulling out of a gas station or like, I can mash the pedal and car will spin, haven't done ny 70 mph burnouts myself, lol.

Will even power slide exiting corners at times, but it seems to just slide just right and hook up nice and go. I'm not a pro driver by any means, only diff I really feel with the traction control on is during launch. Could smoke the tires with it off, get a chirp and sluggish take off with it on. Not launchin hard.
Should have told the buyer to leave it on !!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-22-2015, 02:27 PM
AC1074
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cedar berry it's really up to you. Everyone is 100% right and you have no obligation to refund the bill of sale or take the car back. In Texas verbal agreements are contracts and they are legally binding. The guy bought the car and now decides it isn't for him. ok that's not your fault. The car is his and he could try selling it.

The flip side is of course you can give the money back and take the car but I would get it checked out. If the buyer made any changes to the car I would not take it back.
Old 05-22-2015, 02:43 PM
racebum
Race Director

Received 153 Likes on 146 Posts

check the car over and see what's what. you may be able to buy it back for a discount.

if i could get a good deal on my old turbo integra i'd buy it back too. some cars are just fun to have and you miss them after the sale
Old 05-22-2015, 05:10 PM
AdPock
CorvetteForum Editor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Front Page News!

Interesting thread. thought the front page would be interested too.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/articl...-sell-it-back/

Glad you're getting your ride back!
Old 05-22-2015, 05:44 PM
Too Slow '90
Melting Slicks

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts

Glad to hear you are on the mend. Be sure to inspect the drivers seat for...well you know!
Old 05-22-2015, 06:24 PM
Carcrisis
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sold Corvette

Sold my modded 99 FRC a few weeks back, and the guy that bought it, says its to much for him, says he went to pass another car on I25 in Denver and broke loose and did a few spins at 70 mph down the middle of the interstate.

Didn't hit nothing and says the cars fine. He'd like to return it and get his money back.

Had to sell to catch up on medical bills, which are finally paid. Was in a spot for a bit but I'm able to buy it back.

I'd actually like the car back, but if he's spinnin 360s down the interstate I wonder what all else has been goin on the past few weeks.

I haven't sold a lot of used cars in my time and don't really know laws or what I'm actually responsible for. I know everyone says sold with no warranty implied, once you buy it and drive it away the seller is no longer responsible for it.
Is this actually true? As I talked with the guy and said that I have no idea how the car was treated while he had it, he got a little irate. I told him give me a dy or two and we will work it out. Didn't know why else to say.

Do people buy cars, run the crap outta them and then try and give um back? Anyone ever run into that type of situation?

Thanks
Cedarberry,

I wouldn't touch that car with a ten-foot pole. It sounds like he drove the crap out of it, and now he wants his money back. I'd tell him to go pound sand, then go attend a performance driving school so he can drive his "new" car in a controlled fashion. It's buyer beware when come to a used car particularly one that old. In the used car business, and I once sold used cars for a living, it's sold "as is" without any warranty after the factory or extended warranty has expired.

Sincerely,
Carcrisis
Old 05-22-2015, 06:57 PM
Clancy209
Burning Brakes

Received 140 Likes on 111 Posts

Tell him u r not interested and for him to find another buyer.
Old 05-22-2015, 09:56 PM
tommypenguin
Drifting

Received 377 Likes on 187 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Glad to hear you're doing well and going to be doing better behind the wheel of your Corvette again pending it is still in great condition. Best of luck with it and happy modding again!

Get notified of new replies

To Purchaser wants to bring car back, wadda ya think?

Old 05-23-2015, 03:01 AM
laurent_zo6
Melting Slicks

Received 312 Likes on 227 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

Originally Posted by Cubfan1974
Newbie here, and loving this site. I was reading this forum and saw where someone said that if a major accident is undisclosed there is legal recourse. Is that true?
If a seller hides material facts to a buyer then he is committing fraud. The hard part will be to prove that the seller knew about these facts.

Here is a link that explains it further:

http://www.avvo.com/legal-answers/ca...ed-686056.html
Old 05-25-2015, 10:17 PM
73Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 463 Likes on 374 Posts

Old 05-26-2015, 01:40 AM
momo20
Safety Car

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

i was always told you have 3 day's to return a car either it be a PP sale or dealership sale...with that said he has no right and can not come after you for anything...its his fault for not doing his homework on what a modded vette is before he bought it..and doing spins on the interstate he has been hot rodding the car to hell and high water...if you want the car back i would inspect it, and then buy it back at a lower rate...

Quick Reply: Purchaser wants to bring car back, wadda ya think?