Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Purchaser wants to bring car back, wadda ya think?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2015, 10:27 AM
Cedarberry
Drifting

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

Default Purchaser wants to bring car back, wadda ya think?

Sold my modded 99 FRC a few weeks back, and the guy that bought it, says its to much for him, says he went to pass another car on I25 in Denver and broke loose and did a few spins at 70 mph down the middle of the interstate.

Didn't hit nothing and says the cars fine. He'd like to return it and get his money back.

Had to sell to catch up on medical bills, which are finally paid. Was in a spot for a bit but I'm able to buy it back.

I'd actually like the car back, but if he's spinnin 360s down the interstate I wonder what all else has been goin on the past few weeks.

I haven't sold a lot of used cars in my time and don't really know laws or what I'm actually responsible for. I know everyone says sold with no warranty implied, once you buy it and drive it away the seller is no longer responsible for it.
Is this actually true? As I talked with the guy and said that I have no idea how the car was treated while he had it, he got a little irate. I told him give me a dy or two and we will work it out. Didn't know why else to say.

Do people buy cars, run the crap outta them and then try and give um back? Anyone ever run into that type of situation?

Thanks
Old 05-21-2015, 10:38 AM
R1 Rider
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

He bought it, it's his.. Used cars sold by individuals are "as is" .. If you want it back offer him $1,000 less
Old 05-21-2015, 10:39 AM
MY03C5Z
Race Director

Received 195 Likes on 148 Posts

He wants you to take it back after he's been driving it for weeks???. No f'n way would I take it back, lol. If he doesn't like it tell him to sell it himself? Hell most used car dealers probably wouldn't even take it back after a few weeks why does he think you would? I don't even need to check the laws for your area, I'm 99% positive you have no obligation to take a used car back in a private party sale, even after one day. I would just tell him sorry but I cannot take it back.
Old 05-21-2015, 10:41 AM
shaft517
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You never know what he has done to the car so I would not buy it back or if I did I would thoroughly inspect the car for issues and I would buy it back at a lower price than he paid for it.
Old 05-21-2015, 10:43 AM
Tony Kataro
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No way, tell him to pound sand...... you have no obligation to him.

Last edited by Tony Kataro; 05-21-2015 at 10:51 AM.
Old 05-21-2015, 10:44 AM
myredhead1
Melting Slicks

Received 431 Likes on 356 Posts

Originally Posted by Yamerhaw
He bought it, it's his.. Used cars sold by individuals are "as is" .. If you want it back offer him $1,000 less
^^^This absolutely! If and only if you want the car back, I would calmly explain to him that it's business, not personal, and you don't know what really could have happened to the car. I'd even ask about getting it inspected. Good luck with your decision!
Old 05-21-2015, 10:48 AM
Cucho03
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you really want it back, after going through an inspection buy it, for a lower price of course!
Old 05-21-2015, 10:49 AM
Cedarberry
Drifting

Thanks guys, just wasn't real sure, you know with lemon laws and such, wasn't really sure if there was somethin else out there I wasn't aware of.

I don't wAnt to get caught up in some expensive legal action that I cant deal with, I'm recovered g from 8 months of chemo in the past year nd its tapped me. Just can't afford to fight with this guy if it comes to that.
Old 05-21-2015, 10:50 AM
Black 03 Z06
Le Mans Master

Received 540 Likes on 390 Posts

Yep, you can miss it but it is time to just move on. Trashed.
Old 05-21-2015, 10:53 AM
Tsab
Safety Car

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Buy it back for 40 cents on the dollar. Then sell it again.
Old 05-21-2015, 10:53 AM
1Willy1
Melting Slicks

Received 381 Likes on 278 Posts

absolutely not, its wrong on all levels.

For one he could have abused the car , doing spins on the highway falls into that category.

He could of swapped out parts.

He might just be bored with it or seen another car he likes and he wants to dump it back on you.

Simply tell him you used the money for something else and you cant buy it back.
Old 05-21-2015, 10:58 AM
R1 Rider
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Cedarberry
Thanks guys, just wasn't real sure, you know with lemon laws and such, wasn't really sure if there was somethin else out there I wasn't aware of.

I don't wAnt to get caught up in some expensive legal action that I cant deal with, I'm recovered g from 8 months of chemo in the past year nd its tapped me. Just can't afford to fight with this guy if it comes to that.
The only legal action he could take is if the car had previously been in a major accident and you did not disclose that information to him.. If that's not the case you are free and clear from any obligation to him or the car.. I'd just find another Vette
Old 05-21-2015, 10:59 AM
c5vetteguy
Melting Slicks

Received 231 Likes on 163 Posts
2018 C5 of Year Finalist

I agree with all of the above - not your problem and you're not obligated to take it back.
If you decide to do so, a full inspection is in order, and I'd still knock off $3000 to make worth while. Elsewise, he can sell it to someone else.
Old 05-21-2015, 11:00 AM
Cedarberry
Drifting

The car wasn't junk, everything worked and was a real nice lookin car, put a lot of cash in it.

My add stated I was sellin to pay bills, nothin else, and I really didn't want to sell, had to.

Gonna talk with the buyer tonite and go from there.

Legally there's nothin he can do right? A lawyer wouldn't take this type of action you think?

Some guys will sick a lawyer on you and spend more then the freKin car is worth just to make a point or somethin
Old 05-21-2015, 11:05 AM
bluevette2001
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Tell him to pay for driving lessons.
Old 05-21-2015, 11:09 AM
dork
Drifting

Received 224 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by 1Willy1
absolutely not, its wrong on all levels.

For one he could have abused the car , doing spins on the highway falls into that category.

He could of swapped out parts.

He might just be bored with it or seen another car he likes and he wants to dump it back on you.

Simply tell him you used the money for something else and you cant buy it back.
This ^^^ 5,000%.

If you really gotta have it back like you say, offer ~80% after a thorough inspection. That might cover any damages/losses you might find later when you drive it hard. Ain't no way I'd take it back for "$1,000 less". Odds are he's telling the truth- it's too much car for him. But that's no reason to obligate you.

If you're going to go looking for a replacement, now that your finances are good, then this car is as good as any other you'll find--excepting for the time away from you, at least you know (most of) its' previous history.

But if you're not contemplating a replacement, my advice would be, "Simply tell him you used the money for something else and you cant buy it back".

Last edited by dork; 05-21-2015 at 11:11 AM.
Old 05-21-2015, 11:14 AM
oldgoat99
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Yamerhaw
He bought it, it's his.. Used cars sold by individuals are "as is" .. If you want it back offer him $2,000 less

Fixed!

Get notified of new replies

To Purchaser wants to bring car back, wadda ya think?

Old 05-21-2015, 11:15 AM
mackey
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

once the title is transferred, it's theirs regardless how much buyer's remorse they have. they can choose to try to sell it back to you but you're not under any obligation to take it back.

happens with motorcycles all the time.
Old 05-21-2015, 11:27 AM
blueshark747
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Buy it back for the sell price........... minus $3k-$4k

For all you know he could have been doing 4k clutch dumps and its been glazed to hell

That way you have security repair money just incase something does go POP the minute you buy it back
Old 05-21-2015, 11:31 AM
Pro

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

If you are in a position where you want the car back and can afford to do so then I don't see why not, you know the car and he really hasn't had it that long. I would still get it inspected but he is probably telling the truth.. To much car for him to handle.
I wouldn't pay him what you sold it for because you don't know how it was treated and you want to have a buffer incase something breaks as soon as you get it back if you choose to.

If you decide not to take it back legally there isn't anything he can do.

Quick Reply: Purchaser wants to bring car back, wadda ya think?