Sponsored by:

Water pump / thermostat do they go bad with no warning

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2015, 02:58 PM
327carguy
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Default Water pump / thermostat do they go bad with no warning

I suspect my water pump or thermostat have gone bad without any warning. Is this typical?

I knew the Vette would need a NYS inspection by the end of May so I brought my 03 convertible out of winter storage on May 20th (yes this is later than normal). I drove it approximately 100 miles that day with no problems. It was inspected on the 20th and I drove it about 200 that day again no problems. I did not drive it again until yesterday when I headed into Newburgh. I pulled on to interstate 84 headed west and immediately was is stopped traffic 4 lanes into 1 for road work. I was in stop and go traffic for about 45 minutes. I got off at the first exit which is only a couple of mile. Stop and picked up dog food and headed home about 12 miles. On an alternate route with no traffic. Stopped for gas about half way home. When I got out of the car I could feel heat just pouring out of the engine compartment. Opened the hood and it was HOT. Nothing to be seen, reservoir was to HOT to open, oil was fine. After letting it sit for a while I opted to drive the remaining 6 miles home. Started the car and as I drove it the heat gage went to 220 and above once. The faster I could keep the car moving the lower the temperature gage. Got it home turned it off let it cool down and now have questions and don't dare to start it.

1. Does the water pump and or thermostat go bad that quick and without any signs or leaks?
2. Is there a test to make sure the electric fan are working as required?
3. Is water pump replacement a DYI project or are there special tools needed?
4. What else can I prepare for after this event?

Thank you in advance for any help you can offer.
Old 06-13-2015, 03:15 PM
jcf3202
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The thermostat can go bad without warning. The water pump will pump water as long as the pulley is turning. Water Pump failures are related leaks and bad bearings.

I'm sure someone on here has ways to test the fans, so I'll leave that to someone more knowledgeable.

I just removed and reinstalled my water pump so I could change my A/C compressor. Not that bad of a job, drain coolant, remove air filter assy back to throttle body, remove belt, unhook 4-6 hoses, remove water pump (6 bolts).
Old 06-13-2015, 03:54 PM
JR-01
Le Mans Master

Received 1,063 Likes on 805 Posts

Do your fans come on when you turn A/C on? Running hot could be a sign your radiator is clogged. Have you ever cleaned it out?
Old 06-13-2015, 04:09 PM
327carguy
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Default Original owner and have never cleaned it

I'm normally over on the C1 & C2 forum. I've been reading a few posts here today and see that the radiators are quite the dust/dirt catchers. I have to say each fall I have checked up in front for leaves. But I have never cleaned it the way I've seen talked about today in other posts.

I think the first thing I'll do is try to clean the radiator and change the thermostat.

Doesn't sound like it can be cleaned in place without forcing the dirt in the wrong direction.
Old 06-13-2015, 04:22 PM
racebum
Race Director

Received 153 Likes on 146 Posts

agree with everyone in here

as for the dirt, it's not the leaves per se, it's all the sand and grit. it gets sucked between the fins and prevents good airflow. many times you can remove a c4 or c5 rad and hold it up to the sun and not see light. the fins just get packed with crap and you have to blow it out with a compressor/water hose

i installed a new GM radiator 10k miles ago and mine is due to be cleaned again. it's already starting to run warmer than it did when new

i even live in a metro/suburb area
Old 06-14-2015, 08:47 AM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,343 Likes on 1,094 Posts

Originally Posted by 327carguy
.....Doesn't sound like it can be cleaned in place without forcing the dirt in the wrong direction.
Run the car up on a pair of ramps, and spray your garden hose through it from the "engine side".....
Old 06-14-2015, 09:06 AM
SG Lou
Safety Car

Received 486 Likes on 370 Posts

I'm fortunate enough to have access to a side post lift and a constant 100 psi of compressed air at work. I made a long wand out of stainless tubing and with that I'm able to blow out the front portion while on the lift and blow it out from the rear while on the ground....works great !
The very first time I did it after reading bout it here on the forum I was blown away by the amount of dirt, sand, crap, etc,etc that came out of it! I now clean it once a year, if it needs it or not.
The following users liked this post:
Rick Manning (10-20-2022)
Old 06-14-2015, 09:50 AM
Dcollins3208
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

220 is normal in summer heat

Get notified of new replies

To Water pump / thermostat do they go bad with no warning

Quick Reply: Water pump / thermostat do they go bad with no warning