Sponsored by:

wheel weights on new black wheels

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2015, 09:39 AM
usher 53
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wheel weights on new black wheels

guys I need some advice on stick on weights for my new reproduction c7 wheels for my c5. the wheels are black and I am worried about the stick on weights to balance them the goodyear man said he could put the weights on the edge of the inside of the wheel called a static balance but he said it might not be perfect. has anyone done this before? also the new wheels are tpms compatible so will my tpms give me any problems by changing them to a new wheel? one dealer told me I would need new valve stems and they will all need re-calibrated which would cost $35 extra for each wheel. please tell me what you guys think. thanx
Old 06-27-2015, 09:49 AM
c5vetteguy
Melting Slicks

Received 231 Likes on 163 Posts
2018 C5 of Year Finalist

The weights placed inboard on the barrels are not a problem, even on the edge. You won't need new valve stems as they are integral to the TPM sensors. You can reuse those unless they are the originals. They're good for about 10 years. If they aren't placed in the same corner of the car that they came off from, they'll need to be reprogrammed. You can do that yourself in 2 minutes. Instructions are in your owner's manual.
Old 06-27-2015, 10:34 AM
caroutisine
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by c5vetteguy
The weights placed inboard on the barrels are not a problem, even on the edge. You won't need new valve stems as they are integral to the TPM sensors. You can reuse those unless they are the originals. They're good for about 10 years. If they aren't placed in the same corner of the car that they came off from, they'll need to be reprogrammed. You can do that yourself in 2 minutes. Instructions are in your owner's manual.
Old 06-27-2015, 10:51 AM
Joepro95
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 41 Posts

I worked in a shop and still go back there to work on my car so I did my own, I used a standard hunter 9700 like most of the industry. They balance fine(c5 z06 repos), I also painted the WWs black with touch up paint. I elected not to reuses the TPMS sensors and went with black valve stems, if I cannot figure out if my tire is going flat I should not be driving a car. Also on a previous car/ repo wheels I have had the TPMS nuts damage the finish on the wheels when you tighten them down, so I avoid them, and they do not match. If they have a road force balancer, ask them to road force them, you will get a good balance if they know what they are doing.

Last edited by Joepro95; 06-27-2015 at 11:15 AM.
Old 06-27-2015, 07:11 PM
usher 53
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wheel weights

Originally Posted by caroutisine
thank you guys for all of the helpful information
Old 06-27-2015, 07:43 PM
Lee DeRaud
Melting Slicks

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Joepro95
I elected not to reuses the TPMS sensors and went with black valve stems, if I cannot figure out if my tire is going flat I should not be driving a car.
If you're willing to check your pressures manually every time you leave the garage, go for it.
But IMHO, being able to detect a slow leak with one button before it becomes obvious is worth having valve stems that don't match the wheels.
Old 06-27-2015, 11:26 PM
2FAS4UU
Burning Brakes

Received 74 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by usher 53
guys I need some advice on stick on weights for my new reproduction c7 wheels for my c5. the wheels are black and I am worried about the stick on weights to balance them the goodyear man said he could put the weights on the edge of the inside of the wheel called a static balance but he said it might not be perfect. has anyone done this before? also the new wheels are tpms compatible so will my tpms give me any problems by changing them to a new wheel? one dealer told me I would need new valve stems and they will all need re-calibrated which would cost $35 extra for each wheel. please tell me what you guys think. thanx
First of all, don't always believe what a stealership tells you($$$$$$$), you will more than likely get better answers from certain members on this forum, Jus Say'n, secondly, static balance is not a problem if done by a reputable tire shop and a little black paint will take care of those valve stems and weights !!
Old 06-27-2015, 11:33 PM
dbgoodwin
Safety Car

Received 751 Likes on 540 Posts

Originally Posted by Lee DeRaud
If you're willing to check your pressures manually every time you leave the garage, go for it.
But IMHO, being able to detect a slow leak with one button before it becomes obvious is worth having valve stems that don't match the wheels.
You actually do that? I check my tires maybe once a month aside from just glancing at them to determine one isn't completely flat. Tpms to me is for the idiots who would drive around on 12 psi if a light didn't tell them not to.
Old 06-27-2015, 11:53 PM
Lee DeRaud
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by dbgoodwin
You actually do that? I check my tires maybe once a month aside from just glancing at them to determine one isn't completely flat. Tpms to me is for the idiots who would drive around on 12 psi if a light didn't tell them not to.
Who said anything about waiting for a tire to go completely flat? If you can tell a tire is down 4-5PSI by eyeball, good on ya: I can't.
But I've had enough tires over the years with 1PSI/day slow leaks to appreciate being able to detect that condition without a gauge before it becomes a problem.
Old 06-28-2015, 12:08 AM
Joepro95
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 41 Posts

Didn't know the c5 had tpms when i boufht it nor did I care...pulled it out of my 370z as well, working in the industry I've seen more faults in these systems than I care to worry about or deal with. Plus I've only had one tire issue thus far...and if I have one I have one....
Old 06-28-2015, 12:20 AM
dbgoodwin
Safety Car

Who said anything about waiting for a tire to go completely flat? If you can tell a tire is down 4-5PSI by eyeball, good on ya: I can't.
But I've had enough tires over the years with 1PSI/day slow leaks to appreciate being able to detect that condition without a gauge before it becomes a problem.
Bah. 4psi less means more traction!
Old 06-28-2015, 01:09 AM
Lee DeRaud
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by dbgoodwin
Bah. 4psi less means more traction!
Then you probably want to run all four that way 24/7, eh?
Old 06-28-2015, 12:02 PM
dbgoodwin
Safety Car

Then you probably want to run all four that way 24/7, eh?
No, I'm rocking conti DW's, they're soft enough at 31psi, it would be like riding on balloons at any less hahahah
Old 06-28-2015, 01:51 PM
Jeff T.
Race Director

Received 1,090 Likes on 797 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Black wheels, ask the shop to spray the wheel weights black so they are less noticeable.

Or bring a can of paint yourself!!
Old 06-28-2015, 05:49 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,276 Likes on 13,957 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

My wheels are balanced the same way that your Goodyear guy mentions (to the inside of the wheel) and the balance is perfect. A competent tire tech can get it right.

As far as the tire pressure sensors go, if the wheels you bought will indeed accept factory sensors, then all you need to do is swap the sensors to the same location (i.e. right front existing wheel to right front new wheel) and you'll be set to go. When I installed sensors, I went ahead and ordered new attachment nuts for the sensors, but I would suppose you could do without new ones if you want. I would certainly check the O-rings on each sensor and replace if they look bad.

Get notified of new replies

To wheel weights on new black wheels

Quick Reply: wheel weights on new black wheels