Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

[Z06] new personal best 1/4 mile time!

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2015, 10:06 AM
Stroker87
Melting Slicks

Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts

got the adapters and wheels on now just need time to get back to the track. I'm pleased with the adapters their 1.5" wide and place the tires pretty close to being even with the fender lip

its late in the season here so just grinded the writing off the wheels probably plasti dip them over the winter get them powder coated

Old 09-15-2015, 11:20 AM
robz
Le Mans Master

Received 154 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by Stroker87
UPDATE:

I adjusted my tick master counter clockwise 2.5 turn then took it out to see if there was a difference and there is! I have my shift light now set to 6700 rpm's and i'm able to flat shift the car with out a problem, I have to say the car is responding to few 100 rpms higher & flat shifting very well shifting in to 3rd the car is spinning for about 20 or more feet with my street tires before it was only about 10ft or so, the car also feel different (better) when putting around from stop lights and shifting normal kinda feels like i have more clutch now to finesse and the car is more smother taking off and shifting under normal driving conditions. I'm hoping this will help with me trying to slip the clutch at the track

I picked up another gto spare last week and ordered 1.5" thick adapter should be here monday so hoping i can get back to the track next week and see how it all works out

RobZ if you have any more input i'm all ears!

thanks
Sounds good on all fronts. Try to keep your technique the same and don't change too much so you don't get all out of sorts.

I'd take a shakedown run with the new tires and clutch adjustment about the same as always.

Make sure you have full command of the car before proceeding.

Then when you feel comfortable after a few passes, track conditions seem good, and the air is good, I'd drop the tires to 11.5-12 psi cold and take an agressive launch pass( maybe 500more rpm than before) after a quick burnout with smoke.

Get video so we can critique.

Then after the launch is getting closer to where you need to be, then start flat shifting.

So go in that order.

-Safety first.
-Shakedown to make sure car is operating well and high rpm shifting with full clutch engagement and on and off the throttle.
-Then lower tire pressure and work on the launch. You may go down to 11 psi cold if you feel the need. When you are getting it down, you wan to be accelerating into the launch meaning having the rpms rise as you are releasing the clutch. So throttle slightly before clutch.
-After you have the launch down then start working on flat shifting if conditions allow.
But the clutch has to be in a position where you can high rpm shift before you work on the launch.

I usuall run the skinnies between 35 and 40 psi. Some guys go higher. Just make sure they are even and pumped up. All tires have different max pressures.

You won't master the launch on the first few times out so don't get too anxious. I will help you with that. You don't have to use the launch info exactly next time out. I just want you to know where you will eventually be.

As mentioned, keep the clutch cool.
Don't overdo the burnout, pump the clutch between burnout and stage, and don't engage the clutch at the tree. You want to be close to engagement but not creeping. The higher you launch the car in rpm the more the car will want to creep at the line so be aware. As you go up in rpm you will likely need to depress the clutch in slightly more on the tree to avoid creep prior to launch.

Remember you don't have to achieve a killer pass in 75 degree weather. This is the time to practice and hone your skills. Keep the car intact and don't try for a hail mary now. Build up your confidence so that when the air gets good, maybe in the 40's and the track is working, you can can start being agressive on the launch and shifts.
You want the car ready and your mind ready for the good air. Get video.
Hope this helps.
Old 09-15-2015, 01:16 PM
Stroker87
Melting Slicks

I took the car out last night put about 8 miles on it with 3 or 4 miles being on the expressway worked my way up to 85mph being cautious I never had skinnies before and didnt know what to aspect i was surprised at how stable the car still felt witch gave me some confidants and took some worries i had away

since I adjusted the clutch i made a couple of runs from a low roll 1st, 2nd & 3rd all was well so far, for some reason though i seam to be fighting my self its like i'm programmed to lift a little when shifting even though i'm telling me self DONT LIFT! so i'm trying to work on that!

the 11.4 run was around 5k take off i'm really not happy having to take off so high so i'm hoping since i got the clutch working better i might be able to slip it more from a lower rpm take off

I printed out your last post to take with me at the track and probable will go over every thing in this topic inbetween runs to remember every thing long as i dont forget my camera i'll have more video's from out and inside
The following users liked this post:
robz (09-15-2015)
Old 09-15-2015, 04:41 PM
robz
Le Mans Master

Ok, Goodluck. Just don't try to do everything at once, it will come.
Old 09-16-2015, 12:44 PM
robz
Le Mans Master

Here's a 10 year old video I pulled up of a power launch that I experimented with back in the day. Keep in mind it's hard on the driveline.
c5Z, baby cam,3.90 gears, single disk clutch, 396 whp
Can't remember exactly but would hold the rpms around 5000rpm then stomp throttle before slipping clutch. The tire pressures we ran were around 9.5-11psi cold. MT bias ply

This is what you should work up to.
You can do this at lower rpm with higher tire pressure to get the feel of it.
Maybe 3500 starting rpm and 15 psi.
Eventually you want to run ~11 psi cold when all is dialed in and the track conditions are good.
Be safe and work up to it.
Old 09-16-2015, 01:50 PM
Stroker87
Melting Slicks

thats kind of what i did for the 11.4 with the 1.60 60ft around 5k rpm fast let out but not popping the clutch shifts around 6500rpm tire pressure hot was 15psi, yeah it felt REALLY hard on the car though and i didnt like that to much my diff has c6z shafts and clutches RPM lv5 trans but still not confident in the drive line @ 5k launches
Old 09-16-2015, 01:57 PM
robz
Le Mans Master

thats kind of what i did for the 11.4 with the 1.60 60ft around 5k rpm fast let out but not popping the clutch shifts around 6500rpm tire pressure hot was 15psi, yeah it felt REALLY hard on the car though and i didnt like that to much my diff has c6z shafts and clutches RPM lv5 trans but still not confident in the drive line @ 5k launches
Save those aggressive launches for the best air and track conditions.
Old 09-16-2015, 02:29 PM
Stroker87
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by robz
Save those aggressive launches for the best air and track conditions.
I'm hoping that since I can shift at a higher rpm & have the gto spares I can improve my times with a lower rpm launch with less air in the rear tires a long with more practice try to get consistent in the low 11's (11.1x - 11.3x) then when the condition are better go for the kill and hope i'm able to pull off a 10 second pass
Old 09-16-2015, 02:42 PM
robz
Le Mans Master

I'm hoping that since I can shift at a higher rpm & have the gto spares I can improve my times with a lower rpm launch with less air in the rear tires a long with more practice try to get consistent in the low 11's (11.1x - 11.3x) then when the condition are better go for the kill and hope i'm able to pull off a 10 second pass
Ok. It will be a process. If you can get in the low teens we can always find the rest to make it happen.

Quick Reply: [Z06] new personal best 1/4 mile time!